Who should play the Black Panther?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Lyiat said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
MrCalavera said:
Djimon Honsou? Since we're talking about the leader of an african kingdom, might as well pick an african actor.
He already played a role (one of the bad guy's flunkies) in Guardians of the Galaxy. I don't think Marvel would recast the same actor in a different role.
... Uh... Chris Evans? Hello? Yeah, that's already been done.
But that was a different movie studio. Fantastic Four is owned by Fox, Captain America & Avengers by Marvel. Marvel has never recast an actor in a different role, unless you're counting Stan's cameos or some sort of bit part/ extra work I'm not aware of.

Lyiat

Dec 10, 2008
It's still Marvel IP, mate. They've demonstrated that they don't particularly care.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Happyninja42 said:
So since it's trending so much on the site right now, I thought I'd drop a thread to let us fan out over which actor should play the Black Panther.

Who would you like to see play him?

I think my favorite choice would be Idris Elba, but that might be problematic since he's currently playing Heimdall.

I think he's got the right "regal" presence to play a king, as well as the acting chops to be a badass hero type.
I think we can all agree that this is the role Tyler Perry was born to play.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Lyiat said:
It's still Marvel IP, mate. They've demonstrated that they don't particularly care.
When did they do that? Marvel has never re-cast an actor in a different role.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Sheen Lantern said:
Well obviously not as Michael Jordan was cast as Johny Storm for the sake of diversity as there's next to no traditionally black characters in comics written in the 60s, to deprive an up-and-coming black actor of one of the few traditionally black roles in favor of one of the innumerable, interchangeable white actors would be brain-dead retarded at best and unabashedly racist at worst.

The only question is; where do you fit on this spectrum? Retarded or racist?
Retarded huh?Funny then that I'm not the one who apparently couldn't read the rest of the thread before jumping to conclusions.You know the rest of the thread where I clearly explained that I have no interest or desire in seeing a white Black Panther.I was merely pointing out the double standard that exists regarding colour/gender swapping existing characters

But apparently pointing out a double standard or caring about sticking to the source material makes me racist or retarded.Good to know for the future

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MetalDooley said:
But apparently pointing out a double standard or caring about sticking to the source material makes me racist or retarded.Good to know for the future
You might have a better foundation to complain if there were a double standard or source material was as sacrosanct as this would indicate.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
Morgan Freeman. Think about it. THINK ABOUT IT.

Also I would find it quite hilarious if all of his out of costume appearances were of an older man, and have a different actor playing him when his face is covered up, so his dexterity and movement are wildly different.

My sense of humour is weird.

Sheen Lantern

May 13, 2013
MetalDooley said:
Retarded huh?Funny then that I'm not the one who apparently couldn't read the rest of the thread before jumping to conclusions.You know the rest of the thread where I clearly explained that I have no interest or desire in seeing a white Black Panther.I was merely pointing out the double standard that exists regarding colour/gender swapping existing characters
Except it's not a double standard as, and I've already explained this, they're completely incomparable.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
MetalDooley said:
Sheen Lantern said:
Well obviously not as Michael Jordan was cast as Johny Storm for the sake of diversity as there's next to no traditionally black characters in comics written in the 60s, to deprive an up-and-coming black actor of one of the few traditionally black roles in favor of one of the innumerable, interchangeable white actors would be brain-dead retarded at best and unabashedly racist at worst.

The only question is; where do you fit on this spectrum? Retarded or racist?

Not retarded, that's just unnecessary name calling. But you don't have a firm grasp on the reality of the situation. I mean, lets not kid ourselves here, you are not talking about an equal situation. Its not like there are as many black characters as there are white characters. And we know good and damn well that the reason's why there aren't are not just happenstance. If not for the Civil Rights movement there probably wouldn't be any Black superhero's at all. Your point would only stand in a world where there were as many black characters as there are white characters. The double standard you see only exists to correct a preexisting inequality.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Zachary Amaranth said:
You might have a better foundation to complain if there were a double standard or source material was as sacrosanct as this would indicate.
Sheen Lantern said:
Except it's not a double standard as, and I've already explained this, they're completely incomparable.
From Wikipedia:A double standard is the application of different sets of principles for similar situations.A double standard may take the form of an instance in which certain concepts are perceived as acceptable to be applied by one group of people but are considered unacceptable when applied by another group

Saying that it's ok for an established white character to be played by a black actor but that the reverse is not ok pretty much is the defination of a double standard from what I can see

mecegirl said:
I understand the situation perfectly well as a matter of fact.I'm well aware there aren't as many black characters as white.I've already stated in this thread that I'm in favour of more ethnic minority and female characters.I simply don't believe that race/gender swapping existing characters is the way to achieve that.I would much prefer to see people pressuring the likes of Marvel and DC to create new ethnic/female characters or to promote their existing ones more or come up with new ones themselves

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Patrick Buck said:
Morgan Freeman. Think about it. THINK ABOUT IT.

Also I would find it quite hilarious if all of his out of costume appearances were of an older man, and have a different actor playing him when his face is covered up, so his dexterity and movement are wildly different.

My sense of humour is weird.
TBH, I think this would probably still look LESS ridiculous than the ways they've done it in the past. Either the actor being the suit actor (which can often look goofy) or with CG (which can look downright creepy).

Sheen Lantern said:
You could have indicated all this without the dichotomy of "racist or retard" though.

mecegirl said:
Not retarded, that's just unnecessary name calling. But you don't have a firm grasp on the reality of the situation. I mean, lets not kid ourselves here, you are not talking about an equal situation. Its not like there are as many black characters as there are white characters. And we know good and damn well that the reason's why there aren't are not just happenstance. If not for the Civil Rights movement there probably wouldn't be any Black superhero's at all. Your point would only stand in a world where there were as many black characters as there are white characters. The double standard you see only exists to correct a preexisting inequality.
Not even equal numbers, though. I mean, it wouldn't even be so bad if they had even a handful of additional prominent black characters. Black Panther's not even horribly well known outside of nerd circles, and he's among the first (and the first superhero in the major comics, according to Wikipedia). People have accused him of being created specifically in modern times to appeal to a new demo. That's how prominent he is. People who have listed alternatives run out after like two or three, and Night Thrasher comes up quite often (especially around these parts). Now, I like the New Warriors, but they were at best a C-List team and Thrasher was created for them.

Hell, I'm not sure if I should be surprised or not that nobody's suggested Rocket Racer yet. And yes,m I know, he's a Spider-Man character.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MetalDooley said:
Saying that it's ok for an established white character to be played by a black actor but that the reverse is not ok pretty much is the defination of a double standard from what I can see
Yes, if you remove the bit about similar situations.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Edris Elba, ideally, but for whatever stupid nonsensical reason they wasted him on Heimdal, when Heimdal is a Norse God - i.e. what should basically be the whitest people in the universe.

I'm sure Boseman will be awesome, but god damn if Elba wouldn't've been perfect.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ieyke said:
Edris Elba, ideally, but for whatever stupid nonsensical reason they wasted him on Heimdal, when Heimdal is a Norse God - i.e. what should basically be the whitest people in the universe.
Heimdall is an alien. Even with the argument that Thor's people inspired the myths of Asgard, it's not a given Heimdall would be white. Hell, look at all the depictions of Jesus, a Palestian Jew, as someone who would better fit the Nordic cultures. Nobody complains that a white actor was wasted on him...

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Sheen Lantern said:
That answers my question at least: retarded.
That's twice now that you've resorted to personal insults.If you're incapable of having a discussion without insulting people you disagree with then we're done here

Sheen Lantern

May 13, 2013
MetalDooley said:
Sheen Lantern said:
That answers my question at least: retarded.
That's twice now that you've resorted to personal insults.If you're incapable of having a discussion without insulting people you disagree with then we're done here
I like how you ignored the upper part of my response, makes me wonder what your argument would have been if I hadn't insulted you.

Also, "resorted"? Funny choice of word, considering you're the one lacking a leg to stand on.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sheen Lantern said:
I like how you ignored the upper part of my response, makes me wonder what your argument would have been if I hadn't insulted you.
Probably by disregarding you, as he did to me.