Who Will Be Cast as The Young Han Solo For the Upcoming Film?

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Who Will Be Cast as The Young Han Solo For the Upcoming Film?

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1030/1030056.jpg

With Harrison Ford having made his last appearance as the smuggler extraordinaire in Star Wars, the question becomes who will play Han Solo in the upcoming prequel spinoff movie.

The film is not set to begin filming for another year, but Disney and Lucasfilm are already casting out the nets to find the young actor to take on the role of Han Solo in the as-yet unnamed spinoff movie focused on the rogue smuggler.

According to Variety [http://variety.com/2016/film/news/star-wars-han-solo-spinoff-actors-1201675519/], actors Miles Teller, Ansel Elgort, Dave Franco, Jack Reynor, Scott Eastwood, Logan Lerman, Emory Cohen and Blake Jenner have made the final cut. While a few details have yet to be worked out, word is that film producer Kathleen Kennedy and directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller want to start testing with the new group as soon as possible.

Why the rush, given that filming isn't scheduled to begin until next January? Apparently, the young Han Solo could be making an appearance in another Star Wars spinoff currently being shot, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. That film is supposedly set between Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and Episode IV: A New Hope and is scheduled to be released in December of this year. Disney apparently wants actors between the ages on 20-25, although Eastwood is 29.

The Han Solo film isn't schedule for release until May of 2018.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2016/film/news/star-wars-han-solo-spinoff-actors-1201675519/]

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
Funny enough out of that list I only really find myself fine with Scott Eastwood. I had joked with a friend about him being a better kylo ren given he looked a whole hell of a lot more like Harrison Ford than Adam Driver did.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I don't know how to feel about this. On one hand, Han is by far my favorite character in Star Wars, hell, I'd go so far as to say one of my favorites of all time. On the other hand this obviously won't be with Harrison Ford, and after several decades he's really the only person I can envision playing the man.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Technically wouldn't the guy who played Young Indiana Jones from the tv show of the same name been the ideal canditate? Yes I know that won't be the case as he has gotten older in the present now.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Ansel Elgort? Miles Teller? Those guys look waaaaaaaay too innocent to be Han Solo. Last I heard, they were looking at Chris Pratt, and that was pretty much perfect, IMO.

Otherwise, looking at that lineup, I would have to go for Scott Eastwood, because at least he somewhat looks the part.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
DeepReaver said:
Funny enough out of that list I only really find myself fine with Scott Eastwood. I had joked with a friend about him being a better kylo ren given he looked a whole hell of a lot more like Harrison Ford than Adam Driver did.
Yeah, that was the one on the list that would be great.

Just as long as it isn't Shia LeBouf I think we're ok. Did I spell his name right? Don't care.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Scarim Coral said:
Technically wouldn't the guy who played Young Indiana Jones from the tv show of the same name been the ideal canditate? Yes I know that won't be the case as he has gotten older in the present now.
Do you mean that one who's 50 or the one that played him as a child?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Naldan said:
Scarim Coral said:
Do you mean that one who's 50 or the one that played him as a child?
The 50's one I guess, I used to watch bits of "The Adventure of Young Indiana Jones" when I was too ill to go to school.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Must be a tough job for the casting director. I can't imagine anyone else in the role besides Harrison Ford. Hopefully they pick the right man for the job.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
Lightknight said:
Just as long as it isn't Shia LeBouf I think we're ok. Did I spell his name right? Don't care.
He wasn't bad in Fury.

Sure, he got his job because of nepotism but so did most of the rest of Hollywood, I find it hard to stay mad at him specifically. He got thrown in at the deep end and took a long time to learn.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Scarim Coral said:
Behold, the young Indian Jones!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c8/Sean_Patrick_Flanery_as_Sam.jpg
Oh, he's 50 now.
Nooooo! Right in the childhood!

This is one of those films that offends some deep existential part of my brain. Giving Han Solo an origin story is like giving Boba Fett an origin story (oh, wait), these characters do not have origin stories, they walk into frame and we instantly know all we need to know about them. Badass, cool space ship, no further explanation.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Pinky said:
Lightknight said:
He wasn't bad in Fury.

Sure, he got his job because of nepotism but so did most of the rest of Hollywood, I find it hard to stay mad at him specifically. He got thrown in at the deep end and took a long time to learn.
The problem is he always plays the same character in the same way and I find that particular rendition annoying. I did like him in Holes. If he can start portraying a new character then that would be cool.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
in another Star Wars spinoff currently being shot, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
It's good to know the person responsible for the title "Attack of the Clones" can still find work...

I enjoyed the new movie, but these "side-projects" are beginning to sound an awful lot like the basest form of nostalgia-mining. I guess we'll see.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I may be old and out of touch, but I know none of these people, though maybe Franco is related to James. Anyways, the obvious choice is to hire a carpenter building sets.

Callate said:
in another Star Wars spinoff currently being shot, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
It's good to know the person responsible for the title "Attack of the Clones" can still find work...

I enjoyed the new movie, but these "side-projects" are beginning to sound an awful lot like the basest form of nostalgia-mining. I guess we'll see.
They have both gone in a different direction than what Lucas advised for the story following Endor and eliminated the Expanded Universe as a good source for plots, so they've kind of backed themselves into a corner as far as options for films entirely separate from this new main trilogy. I was kind of hoping the guy who wanted to do Seven Samurai as Star Wars would get the green light for that. I think we're in store for a bunch of spectacle driven side projects putting the players of 7-9 into place though, rather than coherent stories of their own.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Disney is really going to pound the franchise into the dirt aren't they?

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
SecondPrize said:
I may be old and out of touch, but I know none of these people, though maybe Franco is related to James. Anyways, the obvious choice is to hire a carpenter building sets.
I know that's the story we have and I have nothing on hand to back this up, but I can pretty much guarantee you that Harrison Ford was also at the time an aspiring and well trained actor who was simply finding a better living as a carpenter. This just goes to show you how tough a market the acting industry is. Here you ave 8 guys most people who've never heard of, despite probably having acting resumes that would make thousands of other white/male aspiring & working actors envious, but only one is going to book the role and likely become a household name while the others remain in relative obscurity.

There's really no such thing as the actor that gets spotted/discovered out of nowhere.

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
You know there's something wrong with a list when Dave Franco and the pedo guy from Transformers 4 both make it into the top three. Personally I'm Scott Eastwood inclined. I've never seen him act but I have seen the rest of them and honestly, none of them scored many points in their favour. Dave Franco's an all right actor I guess but he always seems to get landed with a certain type of character so if he does seem ideal for young Han to the casting agent, then I can only draw the conclusion young Han will be a twat.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
If we learned anything from Spielberg, it should be to use the same casting as Indie's Son, Shia Labeouf. ;)

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I'm just glad that the 20 or so year gap between Ep 3 and A New Hope is going to be filled in. This is going to be the strength of the new trilogy. The new Dark lord in training, Kylo Ren, is already a grown man. We'll see his reign of terror as he steps into some really big shoes, something we never really saw with Vader, unless you count the current line of comic books, which lets face it, I'd much rather to see that character growth on screen. So while Disney may drive the series into the ground it will be nice to have a fully fleshed out universe, on screen, in HD. One day some enterprising network will run the full Star Wars experience from Ep 1 to Ep IX with every filler movie in between, totalling 12 films or better and it will be epic.