Who would you cast as Ursula for Disney's live action Little Mermaid?

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
So it's become increasingly apparent that Disney will continue to make live action remakes of their animated films for better or worse (I was not a fan of the new Aladdin).

This is when I got to thinking who would play Ursula in live action. Obviously, Ursula the Sea Witch has had many iterations in the past with performers, some heavyset and some skinnier. A couple of names have popped up, such as Rebel Wilson. Rumor has it that Lady Gaga could take the role. Others have suggested Ginger Minj, a crossdresser since Ursula's design was based off the late crossdresser, Divine.

I also wonder how they would handle Vanessa, Ursula's counterpart when she's on land. Would they cast the same performer or use another performer. If so, would they look similar or different than Ursula's default form.

Just as long as they don't use a bad CGI effect, I'm fine with it.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
This is my choice

Tell me you can't see it. I look forward to seeing their rendition of "Poor, Unfortunate Souls"

Samtemdo8 said:
Considering what they have done to Jafar. I think there is a good chance Ursula is gonna look hot in her tentacle form...
I agree. It's why I made my choice the way I did.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Betty White, no CGI, she is just literally Betty White. Maybe she's wearing a plushie black squid hat.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
CM156 said:
This is my choice

Tell me you can't see it. I look forward to seeing their rendition of "Poor, Unfortunate Souls"
See, that has me looking forward to the live action remake of Hercules.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Liza Minelli comes to mind.

You know, cartoon Ursula was inspired by drag queen Harris Glenn "Divine" Milstead. Who's dead, of course, but it could be fun to cast a drag performer for the role.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Liza Minelli comes to mind.

You know, cartoon Ursula was inspired by drag queen Harris Glenn "Divine" Milstead. Who's dead, of course, but it could be fun to cast a drag performer for the role.
No word of a lie, my first instinct was Bette Middler

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
If we could round up the lady who played Elvira in those late 80's movies and stuck her in a fat suit it would be great.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Specter Von Baren said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Considering what they have done to Jafar. I think there is a good chance Ursula is gonna look hot in her tentacle form...
You implying Jafar wasn't a sexy beast in the animated movie?
I think they're referring to the live action version.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Yvette Nicole Brown. I don't know why.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
PsychedelicDiamond said:
John Travolta it is!

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Hades said:
Yvette Nicole Brown. I don't know why.
Damn it, you beat me to it! Though I can think of a few reasons why she'd be a great Ursula:
* Her singing voice is awesome. Sort of a must if you are to be in a Disney animated musical (her speaking vocal range is also quite impressive).
* She has the ability to appear entirely insincere in her gentility.
* She can also turn on a dime and go to full on rage mode, complete with legit crazy eyes.
* She can bring just the right amount of sass and attitude to the role.

I think I might have to start/find a petition for this.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
Baffle2 said:
Apparently Olivia Colman is great in everything.
Damn, that's a pretty great call.

I still have trouble seeing her as anything else than Soph from Peep Show, but she'd be great as Ursula.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Lindsey Lohan, for a laugh.

Wait, wrong character from the Little Mermaid, that's Ariel. Oh fuck it, Lindsey Lohan anyway for a laugh.