Who Would You Recommend If I Want To See Let's Play Videos?

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I have never seen a Let's Play video. The closest I have seen one is a montage of clips of PewDiePie from "Teens React To PewDiePie".

There are a couple of games I know I am not going to play. However, I am curious to see for myself what people are talking about in the game. Can anybody recommend a Let's Play series that you like? What do you look for in a Let's Play video?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Markiplier is okay. Not great, but fun enough.
Jim Sterling, maybe? Not sure if what he does count's as Lets Plays because he doesn't have the duel cameras on him and the game.

EmSArcade is quirky and hit/miss, but funny enough.

I try to stay away from PewDiePie because of how saturated his is and how often he plays PewDiePie games. Its sorta...awkward. Watching a dude play a game about that same dude.

Boogie has a channel these days, doesn't he? Maybe him.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Supergreatfriend is my favourite Let's Player. I like him because his humour has some subtlety to it and he refrains from screaming into his mic. Aswell, he Let's Plays alone, I don't when there is more than 1 person as they tend to focus less on the game and more just talk to eachother, which is boring.

He also puts a great deal of work into what he does and his Let's Plays are quite polished and very comprehensive plays of the games. Also, he doesn't have Patreon, nor are his videos monetized.

He tends to play games that other people would overlook and ends up playing some less polished games that end up being really interesting! Like Illbleed and Deadly Premonition.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I look for LPs as a way to hear what other people feel about games I have or had some interest in (or hated in some cases). Since most of my meet space friend with the same video game interests have moved away, LPer with similar interests to my own basically become friend who share their thoughts with me. (That's why I'm one of those people who get worked up when copyright issues come up.)

Hellfire Comms and BrainScratch Comms -- 2 or more guys commenting (or going off on interesting tangents) on video game footage one of them recording months ago. Lots of information related to the games are discussed as well. No hysterical giggly non-sense like some other groups, but puns and good jokes are bound to happen. Also the occasional dick joke for good measure. Cross collaborations between the two groups are common. Probably my two favorite.

Super Gaming Bros. -- Created by one of the BrainScratch guys and his younger brother, more live LPing than the above games. Later episodes add in Matt, who brings in even more humor to the group. They still dissect the games they play. There's jsut more energy since most of their stuff is recorded live.

ClementJ64 -- another occasional collaberator with BrainScratch, He definitely has a more informative personality in his own LPs (except when his theatrical, villianous side shows) He has a lot of finished Sonic and Mega Man LPs to watch.

slowbeef -- one of the original LPers, with fellow LPer Diabetus has made some great stuff (giving Ridley a raspy voice and a crazy backstory in the Metroid Primes for example)

Chuggaaconroy -- one of the biggest name out there, He deeply researches the lore of a lot of his games. His personality is a little too goofy for me at times, though.

Game Grumps -- another huge group with a lot of variety to how they tackle different games (one off first times, revisiting old favorites, full playthroughs of something they're never seen before) the fan base is pretty polarized, though

Rylot

May 14, 2010
What games are you wanting to see? I find that certain LPers match up to certain genres better than others, IMO.

Markiplier is doing an LP of Fractured's latest horror survival game Soma and both the game and Mark's commentary are pretty good.

If you have any interest in From Software's Souls games Epic Name Bro is doing a really good play through of the first Dark Souls.

I really like the Total War strategy games but will never have a computer that can run them so I like watching OakleyHD and HeirofCarthage for some interesting campaigns and battle commentary stuff. Heir tends to be a bit more goofy and fun to listen to in the background while Oakley has a more historical perspective and has done some damn fine documentary stuff in the Total War engine that deserves more praise than it's gotten.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
For pure watching, no commentary, I recommend the World of Longplays site. If you want commentary...yeah, I got nothin'.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Rylot said:
What games are you wanting to see? I find that certain LPers match up to certain genres better than others, IMO.

Markiplier is doing an LP of Fractured's latest horror survival game Soma and both the game and Mark's commentary are pretty good.

If you have any interest in From Software's Souls games Epic Name Bro is doing a really good play through of the first Dark Souls.

I really like the Total War strategy games but will never have a computer that can run them so I like watching OakleyHD and HeirofCarthage for some interesting campaigns and battle commentary stuff. Heir tends to be a bit more goofy and fun to listen to in the background while Oakley has a more historical perspective and has done some damn fine documentary stuff in the Total War engine that deserves more praise than it's gotten.
I came across people talking about "Undertale" and "Spec Ops: The Line" recently. They sound like different games from the usual games you would find in the genre. However, I have a big backlog of games. I won't get to them, probably ever. So, I am curious to see for myself what they are talking about.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Two Best Friends Play

It's rare to find a good comedy duo... well, anywhere, but Matt and Pat work off eachother terrifically. They're funny, passionate, and filled with a bazillion references and heaps of gaming knowledge. They're my go-to.

Also, another excuse for me to post this.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
There aren't a huge number I watch but I always come back to:

SpoilerWarning - four game industry professionals, including the escapist's own Shamus Young, sit down and complain about games - usually the good ones that they genuinely enjoy.

Research Indicates would be my favourite, except so far he only seems to have done two lets plays series in the last few years. He has a great voice, he gives a lot of incite into some interesting games, and he (most importantly) knows when to shut up and just let the game do the talking. Basically, he presents the subject, rather than presenting himself.

Shymer

Feb 23, 2011
If you prefer strategy and building titles, then I would suggest EnterElysium or Quill18. If you want story-driven RPG - then either Gopher or Christopher Odd.

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
I'll recommend Chip and Ironicus [https://www.youtube.com/user/ChipCheezumLPs/featured]. They're a Let's Play duo that have been around for quite a while now, and my enjoyment of their videos is pretty much the entire reason I still watch LPs today. I enjoy them because by strike a nice balance between focusing on the game, providing interesting information, and generating witty banter, which has come to be what I look for whenever I look into new LP-ers.
Also of note, fairly early on they started putting a lot of work into video editing, and most of their LPs come in two flavors, normal and Uncut commentary, the former of which presents the game's cutscenes without any of their commentary over it, if you want to pay the greatest amount of attention to the game's story.
They play mostly 3rd Person Shooters and Action games, oftentimes with forays into other things they happen to like or just think would be entertaining to watch. Also, Chip has been streaming games for a while and posting the recordings on their Youtube channel is well, and plays a much wider variety of games with a wider variety of other commentators, so I'd recommend giving those a look as well, in addition to the full LPs.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
KissingSunlight said:
I came across people talking about "Undertale" and "Spec Ops: The Line" recently. They sound like different games from the usual games you would find in the genre. However, I have a big backlog of games. I won't get to them, probably ever. So, I am curious to see for myself what they are talking about.
Those are more serious games and if you want to keep that tone I'd probably avoid any of the major LPers. What I do if I want to see a game not a lot of people are LPing is just type 'Let's Play...' into youtube and start going down the line until I find one that matches the tone I want for the game and has a voice I can listen to for the entire game. It might not be the most efficient way but I don't have anyone in my wheelhouse who's played those games to recommend at the moment. Best of luck.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Depends on what you're looking for, really.

Like "scary" games? Markiplier's got a boat-load of those.

Like a mixed variety of games? Jack Septic Eye's pretty fun to watch.

Of course if you're more interested in silly banter as opposed to watching people play games well (or at least people attempting to play games well) then there's the Game Grumps.

inu-kun said:
Teamfourstar is great, they are pretty fun with party games and drunkenstilskin nd the krillin and Vegeta videos are a blast while being in character.
Welcome back...to the adventures...of DUMPLIN!

Seriously though, I'd much rather them focus on making new DBZA episodes rather than pumping out so many LP videos. >.>

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
If you have any fondness for "2 Best Friends Play" lets plays, but wish their commentary was kind of less annoying, check out YoVideogames, played by MaximilianDood. I highly recommend you watch him play Asura's Wrath.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
RJ 17 said:
Depends on what you're looking for, really.

Like "scary" games? Markiplier's got a boat-load of those.

Like a mixed variety of games? Jack Septic Eye's pretty fun to watch.

Of course if you're more interested in silly banter as opposed to watching people play games well (or at least people attempting to play games well) then there's the Game Grumps.

inu-kun said:
Teamfourstar is great, they are pretty fun with party games and drunkenstilskin nd the krillin and Vegeta videos are a blast while being in character.
Welcome back...to the adventures...of DUMPLIN!

Seriously though, I'd much rather them focus on making new DBZA episodes rather than pumping out so many LP videos. >.>
Agreed. Then again, if they just need a break from the monotony and are doing something new to keep their spirits up, then I'll support their decision. We don't want our DBZ Abridged to be tainted by poor morale.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Two Best Friends Play

It's rare to find a good comedy duo... well, anywhere, but Matt and Pat work off eachother terrifically. They're funny, passionate, and filled with a bazillion references and heaps of gaming knowledge. They're my go-to.

Also, another excuse for me to post this.

Amazing! RE4 played with thematically inappropriate music? I wanna see more of those. That's like the vibe I get playing MGS5 while listening to Final Countdown.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
Game grumps are great, and they are a duo to boot.

They also have major content output, they post like 15 videos or more a week.

Sentay

May 30, 2012
Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus are the best let's players available, offering up a solid mix of facts, displays of skill, and comedy. If you want to get a bit meta there's always Retsupurae helmed by Slowbeef and Diabetes who basically just take the piss of other let's plays.