Who's Got Next?

Sean Sands

Optimistic Cynic
Sep 14, 2006
Who's Got Next?

In his penultimate article of Press Released, Sean Sands gives his personal advice on how to get a job writing about videogames.

Read Full Article

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
What are you going to do next? Be a journalist on more important issues? Or work someplace else?

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
Everything's changing!
Natalie Portman in a Jane Austen movie with zombies.
Max getting banned and now this?

Best of luck in your future.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Fantastic advice, Sean. I know the Escapist is going to miss you.
Agreed.

Take care, and good luck in what you wish to do!

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Why do people keep leaving (Except for better offers somewhere else)? In the last year, we've lost, what, 3 people? Arg!

Either way, best of luck to you.

PlasticTree

May 17, 2009
I'm sad to see you go, always loved (most of) your articles.

Oh, and as soon as I have the Dutch gameindustry in my pocket, I'm your man.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
Goodbye Mr.Sands, you will trully be missed by the people that acually notice who wrote X article.

But what are you going to do now, why leave this wonderful place called the Escapist for this is one of the greenest pastures out there.

Jan 3, 2009
Thanks for the tips

My dream job has always been becoming a video game writer. It combines my two favorite hobbies and I feel I should use this advice.

We will miss you.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Great advice! Im sure some of the tips there work on all of lifes oppertunites! Its all about confidence, shame i dont have much.. il just take your advice and pretend to be made of win till i succeed!

Doctor Professor

Pixel Popper
Nov 16, 2009
As someone transitioning from wisher to writer (Plug! Here's my weekly blog: Pixel Poppers [http://www.pixelpoppers.com]) I found this article very uplifting.

Thank you, Sean, for this and for all the other quality articles of yours I've had the pleasure to read.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Great title. ;) I think my quarter is in line there. Not sure if it's next...

Best of luck in what comes next!

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Since I graduated in May I've been looking into what it takes to get into games journalism and writing. Been part of the Video Game Journos Network, asked questions and spoke my naive mind to experienced writers, and have read articles here and in other places. I even got to meet Bill Kunkel at VGXPO and spoke with some Escapist staff at GameX! Covering those places also let me know that I have a lot of what it takes to be a good writer in this industry.

I've found that the problem is the industry itself, and I felt a bit tickled at your last few paragraphs. I'm sick of games hype, I'm sick of your typical news, and I'm sick of everyone complaining about how they don't bother reading game reviews (it's reached the point that I don't even know who DOES read them). The market is flooded with journalists, sure. Be it clever writers like those on Destructoid or The Escapist or the typical pumping out of Joystiq, 1Up, GameSpot or IGN, news is everywhere.

It's critics that the games industry is missing. I feel people like Yahtzee and Shamus Young here on The Escapist are great starts, in fact I love all the columnists on this site. However, it's not a strong enough push. I want to start a movement to cast aside what we know of games writing and have actual intelligent, thoughtful criticism on the games industry. No more of this "10/10" crap, or the vomitorium that is the Spike VGA's. People that have an understanding of game design and can point out all things good and bad about a game.

The problem is, I don't know how to make that push. I've gotten some stuff published, but nowhere noticeable. I could try and put out my own site, but I'd need help from people that have a similar mentality on games analysis even if we don't always see eye to eye, and, oh yeah, does the Internet really need another gaming website?!

Nonetheless, this was very inspirational to read, as at the very end it felt like it was speaking to all the thoughts I've been having. Now I just need to get to it somehow.

So thanks for writing to us all, thanks for this week's edition and good luck in your future endeavors. You will be missed.