Who's playing Persona 3? If you aren't, you should be.

krysalist

Aug 22, 2007
I started playing it yesterday. In what was perhaps a sign of my growing disconnect with my wallet, I spent 54 bucks (actually 59 if you count my Fallout 3 pre-order, WhyTF I pre-ordered a game with no solid release date, coming out late NEXT year I have no idea, call it my desire to pay for commitment or something, anyways back to the non-paranthetical) on the game simply because my friend sent me this email a month ago:

Ever hear of Persona 3? It's a PS2 game in which you activate your hidden powers by shooting yourself in the head...

And he wasn't kidding as is indicated in this artist's rendering of a typical Persona 3 battel:

So I bought a game simply based off the knowledge that you shoot yourself in the head to activate your mystical powers. And I felt pretty good about it, even before I played it. Then when I finally slapped it on yesterday (after finishing Bioshock, which I'm not terribly eager to replay), I understood that the logic behind my choice was totally sound -- I had stumbled upon a gem.

This game is pure style. It's so much fun just to look at. Combine that with addictive gameplay which ranges from joining the swim team to annihilating shadow monsters in a twisted skyscraper named Tartarus, and you've got a surefire winner. The back of the box also promises 70 hours of gameplay, which if 60 of those hours include the story, I will not be complaining.

The story's actually unhinged enough to be worthwhile on its own. There's this David Lynch flavor that's unmistakeable (a strange elevator house called "The Velvet Room" with a midget butler named Igor and a sexy maid named Jessica is where you upgrade the creature's that emerge from your head after you shoot yourself).

You see, there's this thing called the dark hour. It's an hour between midnight and midnight, a secret hour during which nearly ever human being on earth turns into an individual floating coffin.

Into an individual floating coffin.

Individual floating coffin.

Coffins. Yes, they float.

But you do not, for you as well as your plucky group of friends at school have "the potential." So forget coffins, instead you just shoot yourself in the head over 20 times during that hour, as you fight the shadow creatures threatening to overrun humanity with their "Apathy Disease."

If, after reading that basic description of the game's story, you haven't gone to a computer or picked up the phone to find this game, you either don't have a PS2 or you don't want to be my friend (be honest, now).

All that stuff aside, I'm not here to review it. I just wanted to note that sometimes you can justify spending 54 bucks on a game, when all you know about it is that you have to shoot yourself in the head to make your special powers appear.

Ajar

Aug 21, 2006
I picked up P3 at the same time as BioShock (added: and The Darkness), but am waiting until I finish Psychonauts to start it. I'm going in with slightly more background: I played and loved Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2.

Orig

Sep 4, 2007
Man, I love the Shin Megami Tensei series. They're always so unique. The only thing I hate is that my brother won't shut up about how hilarious it is that the main characters shoot themselves.

Soo... anway, you took a real big gamble buying a game you knew next to nothing about. Good thing it's actually a good game. I did that once, and let's just say that this certain Resident Evil 4 rip-off (on a boat) stole 50 bucks from me. ;_;

Uh, but isn't Persona 3 supposed to be only $50? >_>

krysalist

Aug 22, 2007
Hmmm. I may have been distracted by my strange desire to preorder Fallout, and not noticed those crafty EB employees grafting dollars onto my total, so they can procure their sought-after heroin fix. Those EB junkies are all the same. Or it was a WA state consumer tax kicking my ass for like the third time this week. Bullies.

Cordelia

Jun 1, 2007
Persona 3 is much more lighthearted and upbeat than the rest of the Shin Megami series. The combat is only half the game, though--the rest of the time, you must balance your school work and social life to create "social bonds," which give you access to new Personas. (Personas are creatures that you can summon to help you in battle.)

It's absolutely brilliant, and the creature design is wonderfully bizarre.

krysalist

Aug 22, 2007
I'm enjoying the Social links system. It's a great way to reveal story and level at the same time.

So the other ones are more terrifying?

aegis7

Jun 20, 2007
Well, it's all varying types of darkness, like Digital Devil Saga just seemed violent. And the Devil Summoner game was any where nearly as dark as any of the predecessors and I'm going to have to say even Persona 3.

And the box may promise 70 but... I'm a fast player and I ended up well past 100. It's one of the few games that I've actually completed lately without duress (read Psychonauts which had been collecting dust since it was used as an unsuccessful snare for the fiance to pick up gaming.)

The game is awesomely addictive and there is a good amount of depth for all the storytelling and it certainly carves itself a place out as unique in the amount of detail the daily life intrudes into the awesome dungeon crawling adventure. My one gripe is as an angry frothing at the mouth fellow-man sex deviant, there aren't many examples of non-straight characters, especially since one of the game mechanics has you dating girls. I don't think it's too glaring of an issue to grapple for a game that blithely dances past characters shooting themselves in the head.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Persona 3 is on my short list of must-play games, but I picked up Jeanne D'Arc for the PSP and Blue Dragon for the Xbox 360 recently and haven't had enough time to play them. So on the list it stays for now.

DarkClownNizzo

Sep 8, 2007
I wouldn't say P3 is entirely more upbeat than previous SMT games, more that there's a balance between the game's lighter and darker aspects. To be honest, there are certain scenes that blow the other SMT games out of the water in eeriness and atmosphere.

Anyways, what I've played so far is fantastic, but I've had to send my disc back in as a certain scratch started causing problems. Dunno when I'll get a new one.

Ajar

Aug 21, 2006
I finished Psychonauts, so I put about 7 hours into P3 yesterday. So far so good, though I'm finding it tough to strike the right balance between building my social links, my academics/courage/charm, fusing Personas, and dungeon crawling.