Who's the Mickey Mouse of anime?

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Who's the Mickey Mouse of anime? A character who is synonymous with anime, and known even by people who don't watch anime?

Maybe Goku?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
In terms of sheer global mainstream recognizability? Goku or Pikachu. I'm leaning more towards Pikachu.

The imo more interesting question is, if Goku and Pikachu take the top two spots, who comes in third?

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
In terms of sheer global mainstream recognizability? Goku or Pikachu. I'm leaning more towards Pikachu.

The imo more interesting question is, if Goku and Pikachu take the top two spots, who comes in third?
Probably Wing Zero? Gundams are a pretty huge segment of the anime community, and Gundam Wing is certainly the most popular in the West, and almost as popular in Japan.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Probably Wing Zero? Gundams are a pretty huge segment of the anime community, and Gundam Wing is certainly the most popular in the West, and almost as popular in Japan.
I mean, part of OP's question is that the character is known outside of the anime community. Don't think the Gundam Wing will rank very high in that respect. The RX-78-2 aka the og Gundam probably has the better odds, for certain in Japan. Tho I suppose it doesn't really matter. Most Gundams share the same basic design, and anyone who knows what a Gundam looks like will see one and go "that's a gundam" (as opposed to the gundam or any specific one).

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Does the average person on the street know who Astro Boy is? I doubt it.
The creator of Astro was heavily inspired by Disney. Plenty of people knew or what Astro Boy was and is. Maybe not as much as Pikachu, but still plenty. The character's had three different cartoon and one CGI movie, and plenty of expies. Mega Man being one of the first clones of Astro Boy.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
The creator of Astro was heavily inspired by Disney. Plenty of people knew or what Astro Boy was and is. Maybe not as much as Pikachu, but still plenty. The character's had three different cartoon and one CGI movie, and plenty of expies. Mega Man being one of the first clones of Astro Boy.
See I disagree. Maybe for our parent's generation, but current millennials and gen z have no connection to Astro Boy. There were a few films no one saw, and its been 15 years since MegaMan was a thing. Meanwhile Pokemon and Pikachu are still churning out games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Maybe for our parent's generation,
My parents never even seen Astro Boy, though they're the exception. My mom knows of the character though, and my dad could not give a shit.

current millennials and gen z have no connection to Astro Boy.
The third cartoon series came out in 2003 (I was 13). The first time I was ever aware of Astro Boy was the year 1999 when some stations would air old episodes from the 60s and 80s series. I am sure there are millennials that know or aware of the franchise's existence. The Gen Z, I can't fully speak for, but they will learn of him from someone or the older otaku. It's only a matter of time.

its been 15 years since Mega Man was a thing.
Mega Man 11 came out in September of 2018, and was a success. Still relevant, and so are all of those compilation games that came out in the late 2010s and the Zero/ZX Collection in 2020.

Meanwhile Pokemon and Pikachu are still churning out games.
Your point?

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Mickey Mouse hasn't gotten any big media in forever either. The historical impact is more important if you're asking who the anime version is.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I don't think you can really have a Mikey Mouse of anime. He's been such a pillar of importance to Disney that he kinda lost his character. He's been in the occasional thing but I think hes more like Mario, where he doesn't really have his own personality and now is more of an idea. Of course its totally possible that I just haven't been up on recent Disney animation.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Of course its totally possible that I just haven't been up on recent Disney animation.
Watch the 2013 shorts. They bring Mickey, and several characters back to their old or older characterizations.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Watch the 2013 shorts. They bring Mickey, and several characters back to their old or older characterizations.

Those are pretty funny, feels more like its copying loony toons then old micky cartoons though. I did think of one anime character who might be comparable, Hello Kitty. I know that there are some anime cartoons for her but she feels more like a brand then a character.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I know that there are some anime cartoons for her but she feels more like a brand then a character.
Honestly the same could be said for Mickey at this point. Started off as a mischievous, impish trickster, became a dull leader type when they paired him with Donald and Goofy (basically two extremes of the self) and by now so much of his personality has been erased he might as well just be a logo.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Honestly the same could be said for Mickey at this point. Started off as a mischievous, impish trickster, became a dull leader type when they paired him with Donald and Goofy (basically two extremes of the self) and by now so much of his personality has been erased he might as well just be a logo.
Sometimes a picture says it better.