Why a classical zombie outbreak would be rather underwhelming

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
hcselaw said:
Perhaps we are thinking about this in the wrong way. Can any of you honestly say that the world would be worse off if it were temporarily ruled by zombies? Think about it. If 85% of the world's population were whiped out, only the strongest, and smartest 15% would remain. If natural selection holds true, the survivors that re-took the planet would procreate a race of genetic supermen that would elevate humanity to a level it has never achieved before.If anything we should be facilitating the zombie apocalypse.
Natural selection doesn't like guns, and neither do zombies. Therefore, the surviving 15% will be the ones holding the guns, not the genetically different ones (though I hope Gigantor makes it).

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
Lads and ladies, you know what this means.

When the zombie 'apocalypse' arrives, it's gonna be first-come-first-serve if you want to kill a zombie.

Lightbulb

Oct 28, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
The National Guard want this covered up...

Now France and Germany are not gonna vote for an Extermination Squad...

So, the CIA is next; and they're job is to protect the U.S. at all costs. So, enter Agent Orange.

Watch most Zombie films and there's very little time given to the Undead. It's usually about the Humans trapped and slowly losing their minds. Day of the Triffids did this very well; it doesn't matter how slow the Zombies move, it's how fast panic moves. Orson Wells nearly brought America to a standstill from a radio broadcast.

And if you still don't think that's possible today...you remember the kids caught playing Halo with the Hookers? Was on Sky, BBC and most of the newspapers.

Total fabrication. Check it up and see. :)
1) Why cover it up?
2) Don't need to vote at the UN for internal matters
3) Agent Orange is a herbicide and defoliant, i think you mean Napalm - which wouldn't remove the head and thus quite possibly wouldn't kill a zombie - though i guess if you burn off all the tendons it can't move - its probably dead
4) Totally agree with the points about panic...

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
... Stop ruining our fun!

Nah, but in seriousness, it's a good explanation.

Khedive Rex

Jun 1, 2008
I must say I find the underlying theme of anti-zombie bigotry in this thread simply horrendous. I had thought we were all civilized, intellectual, 21st century people removed from such unwarranted hatreds.

For years zombies have endured inferior positions in the workplace (Yes, I understand your applying for the position of - DEAR GOD IT'S A ZOMBIE!!!). For years zombies have endured without the right vote (if you'll just give us your proof of resi - DEAR GOD IT'S A ZOMBIE!!!). Zombies don't even enjoy the ability to worship freely (congregation please rise. Dear God - IT'S A ZOMBIE!!!)

And here we intelligent beings stand, not trying to think of ways to bring an end to the long held zombie stigmas or ways of bringing equal rights for zombies. No, we stand here discussing the most effective way to massacre any zombie who may have the gall to visit one of our cities! And that's when we're not judging their value by how fast they can run. They're not slabs of meat!

Let the cry ring throughout the streets! Zombie Rights! Zombie Rights!

Daxinos

Jun 14, 2008
Usige Beatha said:
I think the real threat of a Zombie invasion isn't the Zombies them selves but the world-wide panic and chaos that would ensue once Zombies have been confirmed.

Lets say they do find some zombies in LA and word get out of their existence *ether through the media or the massive evacuation or what ever* then I can almost garentee that there will be mass paranoia and panic in cities like New York, Boston, Houston,and Chicago. There may even be mass riots and killings as people hurry to get food and supplies for an invasion that may be easily contained.

The only place I think Zombies would be able to manifest into a major threat is if they appeared in Africa or some other third world country without the ability to control them.

shit. i hope that doesnt happen. cuz i live in houston. but the good thing is lots of hicks and people afraid of being victims of anything so lots of people have guns or weapons. but if an outbreak happens in new orleans just expect them to seal off the city and make the excuse of "anybody could be infected and we dont want to run the risk of the infection escaping" while they watch the people fight for survival. but i guess katrina killed all the weak people there so they would survive. but about the public finding out about the zombies people would know immediatly what they're looking at because most people have seen zombie movies at least classic ones. so everybody will know what they're seeing when they see a zombie bighting somebody. also they'll imediatly shoot for the head because thats whats in the movies. but idk if zombie movies dont exist in ur zombie world. but they do in mine.

Oh-Wiseone

Jun 9, 2008
I couldn't help but laugh at "evacuate LA." Totally impossible, just wanted to say that.

Of course if its purely bite-transferred it won't get fair, its gotta be air-borne or in the water or something, then only a hand full of immune humans are left in the world.

H0ncho

Feb 4, 2008
First, about panic: I agree, it will cause panic, but this can actually be beneficial. The only way an initial zombie attack can spread is if each zombie infects atleast two people before it is destroyed, and seeing as humans' fighting capabilities are superior to that of zombies a populace which knows about the threat of zombies should be able to arm themselves and kill any eventual zombies before they infect too many. A scared and armed populace would, as I said, probably kill you for sneezing, and any zombie or anyone exhibiting abnormal behaviour would probably be killed by the mob.

Let me stress that: The only way a zombie attack can spread is if each zombie infects atleast two people before it is destroyed. So if people actually knows about the threat of zombies, well - there should be little to fear. We are much more capable than them, the only way they can destroy a city is because people are scared and don't know what to do with them.

Now, can we evacuate LA? Maybe, maybe not. But it should be easy to isolate the relatively small amount of zombies that a 24-hour infection cycle would create from the rest of the populace. They would be massively outnumbered for a long time.

H0ncho

Feb 4, 2008
Has anyone ever tried to remove the head from a target? I'm guessing no one here, apart from maybe Fondant ( :) ). It's not easy at all. Even with a shotgun at point blank, you still have to pull the trigger. Not easy when your brain's screaming "This can't be happening!", see Shaun of the Dead.

Ok, so there's now lots of Zombies milling towards you; and you really can't bring yourself to tear the entire face off someone you've never met. So... you get in touch with the Police.

The Police don't have the power to do anything, so in come the National Guard. That alerts the Press, who want candid photos. Whoops...more infected.
1. Assault rifles can damage a mans body sufficiently to destroy zombies with a few shots.
2. People, when under stress usually shoot too much, not too little. When you perceive your life as being in danger, most people are more than willing to shoot.
3. The police have the power to do something: If there are not so many zombies, they have plenty of training when it comes to subduing maniacs and crazy people without, say, getting bitten. In fact I would assume police training is excellent in this regard. If there are many zombies, they may shoot them. Or just leave the area.
4. The press, if they don't want to get bitten, need only walk fast or jog in order to get away from the zombies.

CanadianWolverine

Feb 1, 2008
Daxinos said:
but i guess katrina killed all the weak people there so they would survive.
Wow, a more ignorant statement could not be imagined honestly.

Good Lord, I despise those who thing they are superior, and thus worthy of summarily deciding that they can be judge and executioner. Go sell your 'survival of the fittest' H-Youth eugenics else where, this is a freakin silly distopian zombie disaster scenario thread, not an excuse to justify leaving others to die to the ravages of a storm for months on end.

The biggest reason any of us would make a zombie apocalypse a minor incident would be through coordination, cooperation, and compassion for fellow survivors, not being a bigoted dick head and claiming yourself fit because you were both fortuitous and/or paranoid enough to own a form of head/brain pulping protection. By looking out for each other, you get a place you actually want to survive in, rather than the living envying the dead because everyone else who is still living is more dangerous than the the friggin shambling undead.

Its probably some a-hole scientist who thought like that who set the zombie apocalypse on us in the first place, with reasoning just like that: "Oh, I am really screwing you all for our own good, the world will be a better place after you are all dead thanks to this disaster." Grr...

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Removing the Head.
Has anyone ever tried to remove the head from a target? I'm guessing no one here, apart from maybe Fondant
No. I usually go for the disembolwing blow myself- slows the bastards down if they wind up tripping over their own intestines.

Anyway, why are we attempting to evacuate LA? You either contain the damned thing or nuke it. I'm going with nuking it, since I don't want to risk a containment breach and I never liked the East Coast anyway.

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
Mind the fact you could just stay in your house with you Hi-Fi looping "Thriller" so loud that any zombie within five miles would start dancing.

Shajinn

Apr 6, 2008
Umm, I don´t quite get why third world countries would have problems withstanding the zombies.

First of all, to whoever gave the "weak military" argument: I always thought most third world countries´ problem was having to big a military (look at some African nations, for example)... and rebels... and militias... and people armed just-in-case...

Secondly, the military is always battle ready in some of those countries (or they are in battle almost every day, although that´s only the case in few countries), so they could be more easily readied.

Thirdly, in most cases they are less densly populated and have bad infrastructure. Imagine lurching through, say, a jungle.

In those countries where those points are not valid, the government is usually organised pretty well and would therefore have almost the same options as any industrial nation. I agree that the casualties would probably be higher, but I don´t think it would be a much bigger problem there (assuming that the disease spreads per bite and not through the air or water).

Strafe Mcgee

Jan 25, 2008
You know what? Screw saving LA! I say, trigger an earthquake so that afterwards we would be left with the cool, calm waters of Arizona Bay :D

monostable

Apr 17, 2008
UpInSmoke said:
Strafe Mcgee said:
H0ncho said:
This is interesting, and deserves a scholarly investigation. Maybe if all the graveyards in the world arose at the same time it would create the desired (by this forum) civilization-ending effect. It depends on how long time it would take for a bitten victim to turn into a zombie and how likely a zombie would be to devour it's prey rather than let it die and rise again. If, however, only one graveyard arose at a time I think the infestation would be unable to reach critical mass. Also it should be relatively easy to dig up all the graves and destroy the corpses.
What basis are you using for 'classical' zombies? If you're using any of Romero's work (apart from Diary, which I still haven't seen yet and can't confirm), then this thesis applies. Any dead body will become a zombie after a certain period of time, and the initial zombie crisis is caused by radiation from some sort of space station (I think).

Also, if it's modern, fast zombies then we are all screwed. Absolutely, totally, irrefutably screwed. You just can't beat those things- it only takes one of them to cause a huge spread of zombies that'll consume cities in a matter of hours.
I don't remember anything about space radiation. can anyone confirm this? I always thought the Romero movies intentionally left the cause of the initial outbreak unknown.
zombies are caused by the T virus! Duuh!

Anyway classic zombies, just like any good doctor who monster, can be defeated by walking away at a more-than-slow pace

Haliwali

Jan 29, 2008
You didn't pay attention reading the Survivalist Guide or World War Z did you? WWZ the zombies started out in poorer countries, the infected rich (relativly speaking) went to Europe and America hopeing for a cure. they carried it into hospitals, infecting heundreds in a short period of time. From there they infect civvies, and spread out. Also, an LA outbreak was discussed in The Survivalist Guide, G's were thought to be homeless addict shambling along for there next fix, but groups of gangsters did dispatch them. Total G counts ran into the hundred, with little to no police help. Gangsters took a school and turned it into a fortess untill other gang reinforcements arrived. once they discover the headshot rule, things wound down pretty quickly. If the organization hadn't been so good, the G's would have taken the town a world of hurt.

Easykill

Sep 13, 2007
I figure I'd taste so bad the zombies would just leave me alone, so I'm not worried.

Feb 13, 2008
Lightbulb said:
Where did the original 1 Zombie come from? Is this source incapable of infecting more people? Why is there only 1 Zombie anyway?
Chicken and the Egg theory.

1) Why cover it up?
2) Don't need to vote at the UN for internal matters
3) Agent Orange is a herbicide and defoliant, i think you mean Napalm - which wouldn't remove the head and thus quite possibly wouldn't kill a zombie - though i guess if you burn off all the tendons it can't move - its probably dead
1) Imagine what it would do to trade/panic if you didn't.
2) I think the UN might intercede if you planned on bombing a city out of existence...
3) Yep, sorry, been watching too many Vietnam films of late. Napalm would destroy all flesh (although Aerial Explosives would do a better job), hence the brain.

Honcho said:
1. Assault rifles can damage a mans body sufficiently to destroy zombies with a few shots.
2. People, when under stress usually shoot too much, not too little. When you perceive your life as being in danger, most people are more than willing to shoot.
3. The police have the power to do something: If there are not so many zombies, they have plenty of training when it comes to subduing maniacs and crazy people without, say, getting bitten. In fact I would assume police training is excellent in this regard. If there are many zombies, they may shoot them. Or just leave the area.
4. The press, if they don't want to get bitten, need only walk fast or jog in order to get away from the zombies.
1) Depends...if it's an airborn or swallowed infection, then it'd just get into the air faster. I think the basis of the "removing the head" refers to shattering the brain and severing the spinal cord; which is far more difficult with an AK than a Spas.
2) People not trained in firing an assault rifle are FAR more likely to hurt themselves and others rather than the target. The kick back alone will knock a unbraced man into traction.
3) Subduing zombies is a lot more difficult than humans; because Zombies don't respond to immobilization techniques or intimidation. And the Police are gonna be equally as scared.
4) Have you EVER heard of a press photographer not trying to get an exclusive personal shoot?

Fondant said:
No. I usually go for the disembolwing blow myself- slows the bastards down if they wind up tripping over their own intestines.
Don't try that on anthrax victims.

monostable said:
Anyway classic zombies, just like any good doctor who monster, can be defeated by walking away at a more-than-slow pace
But you have to rest sometime; and they don't.

DeadRyuuzaki

Feb 21, 2008
With the obesity problem in America I think most fat people who don't have Zombie plans will get turned fairly quickly. This also depends on how physically fit the original zombie is. If the original zombie is newly dead with a nice body, it could spread rather quickly. If the original zombie is greatly decomposed or with broken limbs it would probably smell horribly. The people would naturally try to stay away from the smelly drunken looking people so the zombie infection would be greatly slowed.