Why all the halo haters?

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
It's popular, thus it instantly sucks according to the "intelligent" gaming community.

Happens with each and every game that becomes popular, no matter what genre or what platform said game is released on. Halo gets this treatment, both of the Modern Warfare games have gotten this treatment (trust me, MW1 had just as many haters when it was released as MW2 does now), the Final Fantasy games have gotten this treatment, and so on and so forth. Since it's cool to consider popular games to be crap if you're part of the "intelligent" gaming community, these games get showered with almost as much hate as the praise they also receive.
It's unfortunate, but it's the truth.

thatguy779

Aug 20, 2010
Extraintrovert said:
You are an idiot. I'm probably going to be banned for this, but, still, you're an idiot. Firstly, there are plenty of other threads exactly like this one, some with the exact same question (!) so you should have referred to them. Secondly, everything that is loved also has people that hate it and vice versa. This is inevitable, as humans can never agree on anything, and is nothing new, you clearly just ignored it. Thirdly there are the things that are just plain wrong, like Halo being the first console shooter than worked (someone has never heard of Goldeneye) and Modern Warfare not existing because of Halo (Call of Duty went in an entirely different direction to Halo) and how you aren't a Halo fanboy (which you are, considering the above).

You're probably a troll anyway and I should ignore you, but I'm bored and here you are.
Uh hey ass. I got this account like 4 days ago so how am I supposed to know that there a dozen different "why the hate threads" when I barely even know how to use this website? Also you seem like a big troll since you attack someone for no reason.I never did anything to you so why do you have the urge to write negative comments? It's not like someone can come on this website and immediately know everything in every thread on this website. No I am not a halo fanboy. I also like call of duty,gears,gta 4, and other nonhalo games. Also even if call of duty went in a different direction, it is still a console shooter which means it is inspired by halo. In case you can't read, I WAS MAKING AN OPINION ANYWAY! God get a life.

Aratus

Feb 13, 2009
thatguy779 said:
We might not even have 1st person shooters on a console since halo was the first console shooter that worked right.
This is actually the one claim that i cant stand. I will always give Goldeneye for the N64 credit for really laying out the foundation for console shooters.

Edit: Aww ninja'd

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Why do I hate Halo?

I know because you made 3 games and of those 3....1 didnt suck

Halo 2 -> wtf where is my AR,Shield,+Health...oh and story
Halo 3 -> broke everything else and 2+3 were made to CHA CHING on the MP...

You took a bright and beautiful thing and...maimed and beat it...

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Souplex said:
It all has to do with fanboyism. PC gamers see Halo as the symbol of their obsolescence (Half Life 2 functions pretty well as that symbol, but that's just my opinion) Nintendo and Pony fans see it as the symbol of Microsoft, and people who don't like FPSes see it as the symbol of FPSes.
Pony Fans? :S was that a grammer mistake?

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
e2density said:
It spawned a whole new level of "gamers [but not really]"...instead of the fast paced games like Quake that were very competitive and for the most part, too fast paced for 90% of MW2 players, it was a slow generic "alien shooter"...
Actually, that was more Call of Duty's fault.

thatguy779

Aug 20, 2010
I don't here anything about new golden eye games(except for the remake that will be on the wii) but I here a lot about new halo games. Also halo helped make the xbox what it is today. Golden eye didn't really help sell the wii when the wii first came out.

pretentiousname01

Sep 30, 2009
I'm a little upset about certain mechanics.

Example
while dual wielding pistols. Why do I drop my offhand gun when I throw a grenade?

Halo is a great big ball of mediocrity.

thatguy779

Aug 20, 2010
Aratus said:
thatguy779 said:
We might not even have 1st person shooters on a console since halo was the first console shooter that worked right.
This is actually the one claim that i cant stand. I will always give Goldeneye for the N64 credit for really laying out the foundation for console shooters.

Halo helped make the xbox what it is today. Golden eye did not really help make the wii famous when it first came out.

pretentiousname01

Sep 30, 2009
thatguy779 said:
Aratus said:
thatguy779 said:

Halo helped make the xbox what it is today. Golden eye did not really help make the wii famous when it first came out.
You mean n64.

However golden eye did add itself to a very strong multi player library. So when you got tired of golden eye (which was when you passed out) you had the option to put something else in.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
thatguy779 said:
GoldenEye and Perfect Dark were 2 awesome shooters (not to mention the Turok series and Duke Nukem... ah memories) that came out way before Halo and they worked great on console.

Alpha1089 said:
Thanks you so much for your post and saving me having to go through it all :p

I never really liked it because of the gun models. I know it is a simple thing, but it really ruined the game for me. Maybe if it was renamed Halo: Super Soaker Combat Evolved I could have handled it.

Aratus

Feb 13, 2009
thatguy779 said:
Aratus said:
thatguy779 said:

It didn't come out on the Wii at all. I see the new one like a shameless cash-in of an old, amazing game. Not unlike every Halo sequel.

I dont care what Halo did for the xbox, i care about what it did for the genre. Compared to other games like Goldeneye, Half-Life, Quake, and more recently Bioshock help move the genre forward. I think Halo had some positive steps forward, but i don't think it was anything groundbreaking.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Halo wasn't a bad game, just not a great game. I didn't realize it had "haters", unless we're talking about PS3 owners comparing it to whatever Halo-killer has or will be coming along shortly. I enjoyed the co-op on the second one immensely, felt the first one was average at best, and the only gripe I've ever really had that I feel legitimate was that the second game ended on a cliffhanger, which is the biggest dick move any game company can make aside from pay-to-play "service".

TL;DR
Mediocre game has haters? I knew this not!

migo

Jun 27, 2010
thatguy779 said:
Halo was the first xbox game ever.
I'm pretty sure it launched with more than one title, although I don't care to look that up since no console launches with only one title...

If halo didn't exist, then the xbox would not exist
No, it would exist, there'd still be Fable, Ninja Gaiden Black, Dead or Alive 3... still plenty of reasons for people to buy it.

which means we would probably not have most of the 360 exclusives we know today. ex: gears of war,crackdown,
Epic would have made Gears of War anyway.

and a bunch of other games I forget.
Clearly they're not a big deal if you forget them and Halo isn't nearly as significant as you suggest, as it only resulted in forgettable games.

I wouldn't say it worked right, and I'd think some Goldeneye fans would disagree with you there, and either way, light gun games take that title, so Time Crisis easily beats out Halo as the first console shooter that worked right if you don't give it to Goldeneye.

Halo is a good all round shooter with an interesting background story.
The background story is pretty standard fare, the setting is interesting though, and it was a well crafted game, but it also doesn't evolve well, it's like Half-Life, great for its time but look back on it after a few years and you're much less impressed.

I am asking why are there suddenly halo haters coming out of no where? When halo 3 was the most played game on xbox live, there was barely any haters in my opinion(at least they were not very obvious). Everybody used to praise halo for it's awesome multiplayer,single player, and awesome main character in the form of Master chief.
Actually, the Halo haters showed up around Halo 3, you just didn't notice them as you were playing Halo 3 with others who liked it. Halo didn't make the transition into the next gen gracefully, it's clearly a last-gen game, and that's why people don't like it.

So what do you have to say about this?
You made an entire rather impassioned post in defense of Halo without once bringing up Red vs Blue - in other words, fail. Seriously, if there's anything good about Halo it was an engaging enough game that got Machinima rolling with a great spin off story that's still fun to people who never played it. Without Halo we wouldn't have Red vs Blue, and without Red vs Blue, we'd definitely be missing out.