Why all the hate when I say I don't like the Beatles?

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Alright, first let me say I don't hate the Beatles, "All You Need Is Love" is one of my favorite songs, I just don't like the Beatles in general, and lately a few of my friends and a teacher are kind of being jackasses to me because I don't like the Bealtles.

First: A friend and I were making a list of our top 10 bands, when I showed him mine and he saw the Beatles weren't on the list he immediatley erased The Rolling Stones from the #1 position and wrote "THE BEATLES!!!!" just like that and he hasn't talked to me in a few days.

Second: A lady-friend of mine heard from my list-changing friend that I didn't like them and she started acting like I was a retard, she actually said "Who do you think you are? The Beatles are the greatest band in the world and you ought to know that,".

Third: When I told a teacher of mine (at another time and school) that I didn't like the Beatles she got this shocked look on her face like I had just told her Father Christmas just broke into her house and stole all her jewelry, she was litterally speechless for about a minute.

So, Beatles fans, are you all this insane? Are my two friends and the one teacher just wierdos?

OT: I also don't see how the Beatles are considered Rock n Roll, what happened to Sex, Drugs, and Rock n Roll? Rock used to be about trannies with giant hair and switchblades and motorbikes.

EDIT: All right, I'll admit the Beatles are Rock n Roll, what I meant to say is that they aren't my kind of Rock n Rollers, also, I know Sex Drugs and Rock n Roll was an 80's thing, I know the Beatles were around before that time. When I said "Rock used to be about..." I was qouting a comedian who I thougt put it very well, not implying the Beatles came after the 80's.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
You know scary people...

I don't even listen to the Beatles, although I've heard "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and "Revolution Nine" and they're certainly fascinating, if nothing else.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I'm a fan of some (Not all) of their works. But that doesn't mean I'm gonna get an angry mob after ya. Some people are just die-hard fans.

seekeroftruth86

Nov 20, 2010
No, there's no accounting for taste. Although, I personally feel the Beatles were amazing songwriters and pioneers of their time for the genre. Not liking them is nothing to get upset about regardless. I'd get new friends if I were you.

You're entitled to your opinion, and those that don't think so need a nice, big, painful does of reality. I'd be sure your "friends" know that.

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Oh dear. You really don't know your rock history at all do you?

Rock in itself is a very vague term. The stuff you see in the 70's and 80's and tapering off in the 90's is quite distinct from what you see in the 50's and 60's. What brands one band's attempt at the genre can be incredibly dynamic. Surfin' USA? That's rock. Paint it Black? Yeah, that's rock too. The Twist? Yep. Rock.

Whether you like it or not though, the Beatles put a lot of things in motion, and basically mark the transitional period that has the British Invasion basically changing the face of rock. It stops having a lot to do with it's folk / country / jazz / R+B / Blues roots and takes on something altogether different. It'd probably be more appropriate to say that they actually killed rock and roll (or the Rolling Stones, take your pick) rather than make themselves out to be the best in show.

But of course, this is just opinion. They're like butts. Everyone has them, and they all tend to stink. Of course you can also just write them off as being hipster assholes.

seekeroftruth86

Nov 20, 2010
Grilled Cheesus said:
Anyway, thanks to AMV Hell I can not hear a fair number of Beatles songs without cracking up laughing. From Me To You in particular brings to mind a very vivid scene... >.<
I know what you mean. "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" just got a whole new set of meanings for me.

IrradiatedFish

Sep 24, 2010
Don't worry about it. They're just weirdos. I like the Beatles quite a bit, but I'm not going to go bugging others about it. I wouldn't even begin to behave in that fashion regarding some of my favourite bands. People have different tastes. You don't like Rush? Oh well, I'll live :)

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Grilled Cheesus said:
People are assholes. And being assholes they can not accept that you do not like something that is soo important to them.
To be fair, before anyone accuses me of being up on my high horse, I do the same to others when they say they do not like bacon... I mean, come on. How the fuck do you not like bacon? It just boggles the mind!

Anyway, thanks to AMV Hell I can not hear a fair number of Beatles songs without cracking up laughing. From Me To You in particular brings to mind a very vivid scene... >.<
I can understand, not liking bacon is really hard to believe, thats like saying you hate the smiles on babies faces, or the first day of Spring.

spartan1077

Aug 24, 2010
A lot of people threaten to hit me when I say I don't like the beatles. I just don't like their music...and I hate...nah Despise Imagine by John Lennon. Just wanted to say that. Some people ar ejust weird beatles fan boys.

Orrym

Dec 1, 2010
As a somewhat fan of The Beatles myself I admit that there is a lot of things about the Beatles that I do not like. But as you said they have made some fantastic songs and have contributed a lot to the music scene over the years.
So possibly your friends and the teacher were confusing what the Beatles have given--which is a lot--and the aesthetic value of listening to them which, even though most of it is good, is considerably less than what they have contributed.
Just my opinion...

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
spartan1077 said:
A lot of people threaten to hit me when I say I don't like the beatles. I just don't like their music...and I hate...nah Despise Imagine by John Lennon. Just wanted to say that. Some people ar ejust weird beatles fan boys.
I agree. I can't stand John Lennon's music either.

The Beatles are sometimes fun to dance to, but that's about it.

Sneaky-Pie

Sep 22, 2008
I would imagine that because the Beatles is perhaps one of the most revolutionizing bands in history.

However, just because you don't like them doesn't mean you're hated, you just have bad taste.

Burningsok

Jul 23, 2009
Yeah sounds like you know a bunch of stupid people. I like the Beatles btw, not a huge fan, but I do enjoy them.I can see the other side of it also. To me it seems they are a bunch of brainless followers who only think they are the best because ratings and popularity say they are.

oh and basically what everyone else has said, you're entitled to your own opinion. Those people really need to get over themselves.

MrMoustaffa

Oct 3, 2010
Well I dislike the Beatles as well, but for highly different reasons than yours apparently. While I do believe that they shaped the musical landscape of the 60's, I dont believe it was for the better. For every piece of ground that they "Broke", I honestly feel like none of it was in areas that mattered. They showed that a highly backed band that was labled as the "Big thing" by the record companies, would be guaranteed to sell. Also known as the "they're popular because we say they are," logic, its the reason we've been sadled up with acts like Hannah Montannah, The Jonas Bros, and Justin Beiber, and for that, I kind of wish the Beatles had never shown up.

When I look at their contemporaries in that same era like The Who, or the Rolling Stones, I find their work far superior to that of the Beatles, not only in quality, but in its honesty and attitude. I highly doubt the Beatles could have pulled off "Won't Get Fooled Again" or "(I cant Get no) Satisfaction" with half the energy that the previously mentioned bands did. Yes they had their faults too, but their faults are what made them so much more interesting to me, as that rougher sounding, no frills styling music is what I believe rock and roll is truly about.

I do love 3 Beatles songs. "Paperback Writer" is a great little rocking tune with a slick and raw riff, "Back in the USSR" is a hard hitting and obvious political statement wrapped in a surf rock setting, and "Hey Jude" could be one of my favorite songs of all time. It's just that most of their other work just doesnt come off as honest. A lot of it has been remastered 300 times over, and turned it into very bland, commercial sounding music. The old music isnt much better, but it is a small improvement.

However, I disagree that the Beatles are not Rock because they ignored the "Sex, Drugs, and Rock and Roll" creed. They covered love and sexual songs fairly common, and were considered the ultimate lady killers back in their day. They were also extremely heavy on LSD for quite a well, not to mention other illegal substances, which lead to many of their problems before they broke up. And as much I hate to use the term on them, they are a rock band, even though most of their material I would consider more pop oriented.

I believe the "sex, drugs, and Rock and roll" creed is an idiotic statement that has lead to the downfall of almost every great rock band in history, and that it should be discarded entirely, but thats a rant for another time. Long story short, as a musician, I think if we're gonna rock, we should do it for the music, not just so we can get a ton of chicks and free booze. If we do, we're just going to repeat the glam rock of the 80's all over again.

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Your friends are just assholes and the teacher, well that's just unfortunate. I'm not a big fan of the Beatles myself. I know a few of their songs but i never really got into them.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
Sneaky-Pie said:
I would imagine that because the Beatles is perhaps one of the most revolutionizing bands in history.

However, just because you don't like them doesn't mean you're hated, you just have bad taste.
The same can be said about anyone for any reason, your avatar is a cat, I happen to love dogs,I might find you to have poor tastes in pets, it all comes down to personal preference, I can appreciate the Beatles' contribution to music and their fanbases' devotion, but my friends and that teacher just flew way over the handle-bars in their responses.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
The same reason people will jizz blood when they hear something against the 360 or the PS 3. People tie their self-worth with the things they love. Your hating the Beatles = you belittling a part of them.