Why Am I A Bad Person For Like Large Breasts And Sexy Nuns?

NeedsaBetterName22

Jun 14, 2013
HardkorSB said:
Silverblade said:
As for this shaming of other people for expressing their sexuality, I blame religion for the majority of it (I know, not the most original thing to say but it's true).
The fact is, Abrahamic religion ruined sexuality. Before that, even if you look at Greek/Roman mythology, there were gods specifically responsible for sex and orgies. However, after the Roman empire became Christian, everything went to shit. Sexuality is deliberately shamed in the Bible to make the people feel guilty about it and seek forgiveness, which of course can only be achieved by being obedient to god, represented on Earth by "men of god" (clever little scheme, if I may add).
Things are getting better now that you can actually say "fuck Jahwe and Jesus and the Holy Ghost" and not get killed, but the whole "sex is shameful" mentality is still there. It's ingrained in Western culture because of 1,5 millenium of brainwashing.
Oh man, someone else who makes the 'Abrahamic faiths seriously warped our views on sexuality' argument. The Abrahamic faiths came with other benefits (early Christian and Islamic scientific work, the Protestant work ethic, etc.) but it effectively killed a lot of somewhat pro-sexuality pagan cultures. Abrahamic faiths are Romantic in nature, they're about developing yourself into a better person through their teachings, while pagan faiths were largely Realist, structured around a 'natural' state of being that assumes human sexuality/expression as normal.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
MonkeyShone said:
Is that so? You mean Japanese people never judge anyone else? Never form a private negative opinion about what other people do?

Huh. I guess I really don't know much about Japan. How did you learn so much?
By spending 2 years there and hearing their opinions - or more accurately, their LACK of opinions.

Of course everyone forms private opinions of what other people do - you actually answered yourself by using that word, their opinions are exactly that. Private. Japanese people rarely express what they're thinking out of courtesy and politeness. Instead they tend to express their feelings in other ways. Obviously this doesn't apply to every Japanese person, you do get the loud/rowdy/hyperactive type, but overall that is their general way of thinking.

In some aspects it's a really bad thought process because old ways are very difficult to change since people very much believe in "going with the flow". In some aspects it's great, because for art/media there are practically no bounds. Sure on the surface everything seems to be needing censorship, but under the surface...well, we know all about that.
Criticism for art/fantasy is kept far more relevant to the actual piece of art instead or skewing-off into how it represents genders or other politically-correct topics, that kind of criticism has it's place but obviously relating to stuff that is more grounded in reality. Like Japan's very real problem of women being stuck in traditional gender roles and unable to climb corporate ladders, you'll find plenty of criticism/opinions flying around regarding that.

Lets just put it this way - if someone like Anita Sarkeesian tried to make it big in Japan, her kickstarter would've made precisely jack-all and her number of supporters would be jack-all. Not because people don't express their opinions, but primarily because for Japanese people such topics hold no water. It's been seen time and again on multiple occasions.
Topics like sexism in media are barely worth discussing or arguing over, because they don't stir-up huge amounts of controversy. Most Japanese will agree that sexualization has a place in media, and I daresay most people will understand the only reason it's so abundant in media is because it's audience and sales are abundant.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
MonkeyShone said:
So, what, are there like no feminists in Japan?
Yuuki said:
Criticism for art/fantasy is kept far more relevant to the actual piece of art instead or skewing-off into how it represents genders or other politically-correct topics, that kind of criticism has it's place but obviously relating to stuff that is more grounded in reality. Like Japan's very real problem of women being stuck in traditional gender roles and unable to climb corporate ladders, you'll find plenty of criticism/opinions flying around regarding that.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
It honestly shocks me how many people seem to think you cannot criticise games without criticising gamers. How many people see this as a personal attack, and put themselves in the role of `Defender of VideoGames!`
It makes very little sense to me.
Does that make me some sort of video-game-traitor in their eyes? I should imagine so.
It is possible to love something without having to love everything it does.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
MonkeyShone said:
What about my other question about gossip and shunning people based on private opinions? Please teach me, sensei!
Google is your sensei from this point onwards, I wish you the best of luck, you'll need it.