Why are British people so down on Piers Morgan?

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
So I'm a fat American and recently I've gotten into watching British panel shows on YouTube. They've all got their own gimmicks and quirks, but if there's one thing that seems to be consistent it's that everybody hates Piers Morgan. Even Professor Elemental, the "chap-hop" artist rags on him a couple of times in his songs. Personally I'm only vaguely aware of the man. He was a host of some contest show I think for a while, and now he's apparently some sort of news show host on CNN.

But apparently he's managed to gain the ire of an overwhelming number of British citizens, and I'm rather curious as to what he's done to earn that much hate. I mean really, I understand there are some pretty un-liked celebrities, but this seems to be on the level of George W. Bush.

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
He's the British version of Bill O'Reilly.
He'll talk of different subjects, of course, but his method of argumentation is largely the same.
Be loud, pretend to always be right, try to talk down upon the opposition...and then make sweeping generalizations about a demographic to either prove your point or discredit the other guy despite the arse-pulled statistics being of debatable origin or not proving of a point.

That's why I don't like him, anyway.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Because he's a poisonous, acerbic hack who makes a point of attacking people in lieu of actual journalism, presenting or whatever he decides to do for another chance to poke fun at others. The man is thoroughly reprehensible, with a horrible personality, a hugely inflated ego and he's always ready to point the finger and laugh at others without ever taking a moment to reflect on his actions. Also, like NightmareExpress pointed out above, his technique for arguments is dreadful - he generalises, shouts over and talks down to others. He just doesn't come across as a pleasant man.

Also, be aware, I'm basing this entirely on how he presents himself and how he acts. I'm fairly certain he's been in some kerfuffle over his actions when he was attached to one of our national newspapers, but I couldn't tell you what, to be honest. I just know he makes no effort to be a likeable or reasonable person.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I have absolutely no idea who he is & I'm pretty sure most British people haven't either. He doesn't sound nice but it's obviously quite easy to avoid him...

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I hear lots of people dislike him but never have an adequate reason why. I've only seen one TV thing he did in America, and he seemed to be cool and logical despite having to interview a total idiot. I'm english and I don't mind him one bit.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
In the UK, he has a very bad reputation due to the fact he was a journalist in the tabloids for a long time then became a smug tv celebrity. Now on of those can be forgiven, being both is just wrong.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Well for one, he claims that he's a "journalist" but the only things he's ever worked on were British tabloids, mostly The Sun, and the Daily Mirror, both of which are well known for being utterly full of shit. For another thing, while he was an editor for The Daily Mirror he encouraged hacking of mobile phones and listening to people's personal voice-mails to get stories.

So yeah, there's plenty to hate about the man, including his horrid personality.

Thereisbearcum

Mar 10, 2013
Well from memory i can tell you a couple of things he has done. As you can probably tell from my avatar i am a massive Arsenal fan, and he calls himself one as well. We went out to Galatasaray and were attacked by their fans after the game, and to sell papers he blamed it entirely on the Arsenal fans, even naming and shaming some of us unfairly, who were then banned for life and fired from our jobs. When it was revealed we weren't to blame he didn't apologise and to this day those fans are still banned. Another thing he did was relentlessly attack celebrities and invade their privacy, which included hacking their phones and harassing their children. He is the lowest of the low and probably the most hated man in england. In other words thank you for taking the little rat away and I only hope when your celebs start punching him he pisses off to somewhere other than here.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
NightmareExpress said:
He's the British version of Bill O'Reilly.
He'll talk of different subjects, of course, but his method of argumentation is largely the same.
Be loud, pretend to always be right, try to talk down upon the opposition...and then make sweeping generalizations about a demographic to either prove your point or discredit the other guy despite the arse-pulled statistics being of debatable origin or not proving of a point.

That's why I don't like him, anyway.
Pretty much this.

From what I've learned during my time in London, Piers Morgan is a right-wing talking head on a far right news source.
That's bad enough.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
You mean the lying tabloid writer who insults and slanders innocent people, supported phone hacking, slummed around on TV as the oversmug fool he is, and is, as before noted, comparable to Bill O'Reilly?

His one redeeming quality is how punchable he is!

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Lilani said:
Why are British people so down on Piers Morgan?
Because Piers Morgan is a ****.

Now, here in Britain, we use '****' as a term of endearment. But Piers Morgan is not endearing in the slightest. Piers Morgan is a ****.

I would not be surprised if that was an actual website.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
He's a vile, arrogant, smarmy, self-important git that isn't nearly as clever as he thinks he is.

Daystar Clarion said:
Jeremy Clarkson punched him the face.

That's enough for me to know that he's a douchebag :D
Also this. If Jeremy Clarkson can come out of a situation looking like the lesser of two cunts, that should tell you something about Piers Morgan.

Mar 30, 2010
Because he's an oily, amoral, appeal-to-the-lowest-denominator 'journalist'. Basically, he gives a bad name to rags that traditionally give reporting a bad name.

Yeah....

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
This is the video of Jezza talking about punching Piers Morgan.
<youtube=vfzu2ObrYzc>

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/nov/28/piers-morgan-phone-hacking-charlotte-church

He hacked into peoples voice mail and in one case was linked to a child murder victims voicemails being deleted so that new messages could come through, giving her family false hope