Why are people against killing whales?

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Neonbob said:
Because they don't realize just how dickish whales really are.
Or they think they're cute somehow.
Or they didn't have their entire family killed by a roving pod of humpbacks.
The naive fools.
I was gonna come on here simply to say "Neonbob is for killing whales"
Glad you made your way here! Your avatar always makes me giggle.

TheTaco007

Sep 10, 2009
the stonker said:
Are they in any risk of being stop existing?
Think about it they eat tones of food every day and they are pretty much big blubber bags.
If your arguement is "They are so cute,I wear a whale T-shirt:Don't hurt them" then your just being irrational.
So I ask you escapists, why shouldn't we just kill the whales? More food for us and I call it survival.

P.s. I come from Iceland where whale hunting isn't so illegal and everyone frown upon it so I don't get the point.
Because we aren't heartless psychopaths and we actually CARE about things.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
pffh said:
reg42 said:
Because they're, you know, endangered.
Wadders said:
It's because they are in risk of being stop existing.
Julianking93 said:
Because they're endangered.

Why the fuck else do you think we're against killing them?

Do research on the subject before you ***** about it.
I'm bloody tired of this arguement since not all whale species are endangered and for example the species we Icelanders kill is not endangered and bloody delicious.
Yeah, we were told
fenrizz said:
Iceland and Norway hunt whales commercially.
But we do not hunt the whales that are endangered, which you all seem to be under the impression that we do.

No, really. We only hunt whales that are not endangered!

Besides, whale meat is delicious.

Also;
Minke whales are the only legally hunted species. Catches have fluctuated between 487 animals in 2000 to 592 in 2007. The catch is made solely from the Northeast Atlantic minke whale population, which is estimated at 102,000

cuddly_tomato

Nov 12, 2008
insaneHoshi said:
just a couple of thoughts:

gibboss28 said:
cuddly_tomato said:
theoddman said:
I'll let George Carlin do the talking:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eScDfYzMEEw&feature=player_embedded
The guy in the video is an idiot frankly.

25 species a day go extinct "regardless" of human activity?

In this day and age, with information available to anyone with access to a computer, there is no excuse for such ignorant stupidity from anyone living in the developed world. Human activity is causing the sixth mass extinction [http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn4797-earth-faces-sixth-mass-extinction.html].
In defense of the clip: that clip was from 1992, its completely irrelevant now and I guarantee if he was still doing stand up he wouldn't have said something that stupid with as you say the information available to everyone with access to a computer.

Not to put down what you are saying, but i figured an FYI would be a good thing to put there, cause I like George Carlin I found him to be a very funny and very accurate (most of the time time, obviously) comedian.
But he does have a point, anything we do to the earth, short of a virus bomb, the earth will recover, as it has numerous times before. An species going extinct isnt necessarily bad, how would you like it if dinosaurs were still around and eating us left right and center?
The dude in the video, Carlin or whatever, has no point except the fact that he is extremely ignorant. There is no way to justify wiping out entire ecosystems "because". Human beings are an ecological disaster for the planet and there really isn't a reason for it beyond lazyness, pride, or cost, and they aren't good reasons at all.

insaneHoshi said:
Also could people stop saying "whales are endangered" Whales Can not be endangered, because they arnt a SPECIES. Just because some whale species are endangered doesnt mean the whole Order is.
Whales are endangered though. Keep over-fishing, keep polluting, keep on wrecking the very place you live and they will be gone, just like so many other creatures before them have gone. The difference between now and the last 65 million years is that this is a mass extinction, and biodiversity is under severe attack. If it continues at its current rate we run the real risk of going that way ourselves.

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Blatherscythe said:
Every species has a role to play in the ecosystem, whales eat plankton, fish and squid. Whales keep the fish and squid populations down so they don't overpopulate and kill themselves off.
You know who also eat planktons? Fish, and you know who also eat fish? No? Well it's us humans and we can keep the fish population "under control".

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
And for you "exploding harpoon" sheep.

Recently, this technique has been replaced with the use of a big game rifle, which is used after the harpoon strike to ensure a more efficient kill. The International Whaling Commission permits four cartridges in whaling: .458 Winchester Magnum, .460 Weatherby Magnum, .50 BMG, and the .577 Tyrannosaur, which the Makah fired in the 1999 hunt.

cuddly_tomato said:
insaneHoshi said:

gibboss28 said:
cuddly_tomato said:
theoddman said:

In this day and age, with information available to anyone with access to a computer, there is no excuse for such ignorant stupidity from anyone living in the developed world. Human activity is causing the sixth mass extinction [http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn4797-earth-faces-sixth-mass-extinction.html].
In defense of the clip: that clip was from 1992, its completely irrelevant now and I guarantee if he was still doing stand up he wouldn't have said something that stupid with as you say the information available to everyone with access to a computer.

Not to put down what you are saying, but i figured an FYI would be a good thing to put there, cause I like George Carlin I found him to be a very funny and very accurate (most of the time time, obviously) comedian.
But he does have a point, anything we do to the earth, short of a virus bomb, the earth will recover, as it has numerous times before. An species going extinct isnt necessarily bad, how would you like it if dinosaurs were still around and eating us left right and center?
The dude in the video, Carlin or whatever, has no point except the fact that he is extremely ignorant. There is no way to justify wiping out entire ecosystems "because". Human beings are an ecological disaster for the planet and there really isn't a reason for it beyond lazyness, pride, or cost, and they aren't good reasons at all.

insaneHoshi said:
Also could people stop saying "whales are endangered" Whales Can not be endangered, because they arnt a SPECIES. Just because some whale species are endangered doesnt mean the whole Order is.
Whales are endangered though. Keep over-fishing, keep polluting, keep on wrecking the very place you live and they will be gone, just like so many other creatures before them have gone. The difference between now and the last 65 million years is that this is a mass extinction, and biodiversity is under severe attack. If it continues at its current rate we run the real risk of going that way ourselves.
Which SPECIES of whale are you whining about, not all whales are endangered. Whale is not the species, it's the order. There are many species of whale not all of which are endangered. In fact, MOST species of whale are NOT endangered. Or you could continues spouting enviro-terrorist talking points.

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
Because biodiversity is in the end necessary for our existence as we are right now. Eliminating any one species will affect it and doing so repeatedly will eventually affect us...

In a bad way...

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
Didn't notice this until I someone else qouted it:

the stonker said:
P.s. I come from Iceland where whale hunting isn't so illegal and everyone frown upon it so I don't get the point.
Not everyone here in Iceland frowns upon it, in fact I've met more people that are for whaling then against and the only people I've met that are against whaling are the lefty hippy types.

Urgh76

May 27, 2009
Neonbob said:
Because they don't realize just how dickish whales really are.
Or they think they're cute somehow.
Or they didn't have their entire family killed by a roving pod of humpbacks.
The naive fools.
as soon as i saw this thread i said "look for neonbob"

Guess i didnt have to look far :D

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Julianking93 said:
Because they're endangered.

Why the fuck else do you think we're against killing them?

Do research on the subject before you ***** about it.
I think you should do some research.
There are a bunch of different kinds of whales, many of which are not endangered.

magicmonkeybars

Gullible Dolt
Nov 20, 2007
Wouldn't the people who hunt whales be the first to feel their absence ?
I won't miss the whales, kill them all.
I don't eat, watch, or cuddle whales so I don't care.

TheTaco007

Sep 10, 2009
LordNue said:
TheTaco007 said:
the stonker said:
Are they in any risk of being stop existing?
Think about it they eat tones of food every day and they are pretty much big blubber bags.
If your arguement is "They are so cute,I wear a whale T-shirt:Don't hurt them" then your just being irrational.
So I ask you escapists, why shouldn't we just kill the whales? More food for us and I call it survival.

Because we aren't heartless psychopaths and we actually CARE about things.
Yes because a fucking whale is such a big thing to care about. An animal that you will never truly interact with, that regardless of how smart it is will never really show it because even if they are sentient they wont ever fucking talk to the human species and evidently cant even be used for food. Get a cat and love that, at least then you have an excuse of "its my pet and my friend that's why I love it" as opposed to "I LOVE IT BECAUSE I HAVE NEVER MET IT AND I LOVE EVERRRYYY THING EXCEPT PEOPLE BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE MEAN AND KILL THINGS"
Actually, I have seen whales before. I have swam out into the ocean and listened to whale song, and it was one of the greatest moments in my life. I won't waste my time trying to describe it to you, because you're obviously too narrow-minded to understand or care about these kinds of things.
Anyway, I don't have any strange attraction to whales, and I certainly wouldn't want one as a pet. I just think it's wrong that we are about to completely wipe another species off the face of the Earth. If you are so self-centered that you can't even see why this is wrong, then you are obviously a lost cause, and I'd like to ask you to please not contribute to the gene pool.

insaneHoshi

Mar 26, 2010
cuddly_tomato said:
insaneHoshi said:

gibboss28 said:
cuddly_tomato said:
theoddman said:

insaneHoshi said:
And once humans are done with all our frucking over the ecosystems, planed earth wont skip a beat, it WILL heal its self and life will continue to go on like it has for about 3 billion years. I ask what is bad about Destroying an ecosystem?

An NO WHALES ARE NOT FUCKING endangered, Some whale (maby most) species are endangered. Are all Primates endangered because chimps and orangatangs endangered? NO, last time i checked there is 7 billion primates on this planed, doesnt sound endangered, does it?

creatiwe

Aug 11, 2009
you say that yhey are only there to eat krill.

let me ask you something. did you forget about watching lion king? The circle of life also works under the sea. when they die plankton feed on them and krill feed onit again.

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
I'm not against the killing of any animal on this planet. Of course, that being said, we shouldn't wipe out the entire species. If we moderate the way we hunt, we can enjoy a lasting amount of benefits rather than an instant gratification mother lode.

Humans seem bent on being both sides of the life/death spectrum. We are phenomenal stewards of the environment while being ruthlessly efficient at taking life away. As long as we moderate this taking of life and use what we kill for benefits, there's no reason we shouldn't.

I wonder if whale is delicious. The material sure is nice.

MasterSplinter said:
Because biodiversity is in the end necessary for our existence as we are right now. Eliminating any one species will affect it and doing so repeatedly will eventually affect us...

In a bad way...
Yes, upsetting the natural eco-chain is a bad idea.

Cain toads, anyone?

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
pffh said:
Not everyone here in Iceland frowns upon it, in fact I've met more people that are for whaling then against and the only people I've met that are against whaling are the lefty hippy types.
I blame it all on our current government,Vinstri Græn.Those eco loving assholes that don´t know shit about shit,and keep the common whaler down.While whaling might be legal here,it is very restricted,the amount of whales that we can legally fish.