Why are people against killing whales?

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
[http://img687.imageshack.us/i/captainbitch.jpg/]

I believe this fellow makes good sense.

riskroWe

May 12, 2009
the stonker said:
Are they in any risk of being stop existing?
Think about it they eat tones of food every day and they are pretty much big blubber bags.
If your arguement is "They are so cute,I wear a whale T-shirt:Don't hurt them" then your just being irrational.
So I ask you escapists, why shouldn't we just kill the whales? More food for us and I call it survival.

P.s. I come from Iceland where whale hunting isn't so illegal and everyone frown upon it so I don't get the point.
If civ4 has taught me anything, it's that whaling makes for great export, especially if you're in iceland. You can trade it for useful things. Like coal.

EDIT: Also THAT WHALE TOOK ME BLOODY LEG!!

Sonofadiddly

Dec 19, 2009
Wadders said:
It's because they are in risk of being stop existing.
I don't know why, but this made me laugh for five minutes straight.

Anyway, people don't like making animals go extinct. Something about ecosystems and the fact that if we don't stop killing everything in sight, the human race will be doomed, and then cannibalism everywhere.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
crystalsnow said:
Hardcore_gamer said:
I am from Iceland to, and yes most of the foreign anti-whalers don't know jackshit what they are talking about. Thankfully the international whaling committee (I think it is called that) is discussing a change in the laws since most of its members are threatening to leave it, and they have made a proposal to Iceland that would allow us to hunt roughly 140 whales a year and its pretty decent.

reg42 said:
Because they're, you know, endangered.
No, they are in fact NOT!

"The whales are endangered" logic falls apart once you remind people of the fact that their are many different species of whales, and that only some of them are endangered. The species we are hunting aren't one of them.
First of all genius, how do animals become endangered in the first place? Obviously has nothing to do with hunting them. Also, care to explain WHY you need to hunt them so badly in the first place?
perfumes and other things

ohhhannah

Apr 27, 2010
well for one whales are endangerd
second of all they are beautiful, majestic creatures (not meaning to be cheesey)
third of all we have plenty of other animals to choose from that are not so endangered and bred for the reason of consumption (aka: cows are not endangered)
for a fourth reason humans don't need to proove there dominance or superiorty just because we can strike down and kill somthing so much bigger than us yet so harmless, we should be above that and try and protect them.

skywalkerlion

Jun 21, 2009

I shall never whale after watching this.

Prepare to be scarred for life before you hit that play button.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
I'm probably the only person in this thread that has actually killed a whale.

Sirch.Cajnos

Oct 27, 2009
ArcWinter said:
See, there is one thing that humans CAN NOT KILL OFF, or else we will all die.

That thing is PLANTS. Screw animals, they'd all die anyway. Being against killing "insert animal here" doesn't make any sense, because we can survive without them.

Oh yeah, and we'd need insects to keep the plants alive. So insects and plants. Don't kill em. Animals? Go ahead.
do you realize how stupid this statement is? every animal has a very specific and important place in an every growing food chain that helps keep the planet from being overrun by a specific kind of animal, you need plants to keep herbivore's alive, bugs to keep the plants alive, birds and other insectivores to keep the insect population from exploding, small predators to keep the bird population from eating all the insects, larger predators to keep the smaller predator population down, it's a delicate balance that goes from the ants to elephants in places that both animals are present, and in the ocean the chain is even more fragile, without whales (finally OT) the krill population would explode, then everything the krill eat would die out. People who are against hunting animals are trying to preserve this cycle, and people like you are why the people against over hunting are necessary

DarkSpectre

Jan 25, 2010
I have never before encountered a thread more full of shoddy and half baked scientific thought. I'd like to address some glaring scientific errors I have seen repeatedly appear in this thread.

1. Whales are not going extinct. Whale is a term used by man to describe a group of animals that share similar traits. Whale is like primate. Entire families do not go extinct unless due to a massive catastrophic event like an asteroid strike. You can on the other had hunt a species to extinction. Whales as a family are not even close to becoming extinct. Certain types of whale on the other hand are. Please stop saying whales are going extinct when that is patently un-true.

2. The main whale that is hunted is the minke whale. The minke whale's status is currently lest concern. Which puts it in the same category as deer. They are not even close to being made extinct. The current population is close to 100,000 and the usual catch per year is 1000. That amounts to 1% of the entire population. The number of minke whales is holding steady. Other types of whale are not so fortunate and are not hunted.

3. The reason certain types of whales were hunted to near extinction is that back in the colonial and early industrial age whale oil was the main source of fuel for mankind. That has been totally replaced by fossil fuels. There is never the danger of mankind hunting any species of whale to that level again. We only hunt them now to eat them, and a we simply would not and could not eat that much whale.

4. The nations that whale are not evil monsters out to kill off the whales. That is completely bigoted misinformed faulty reasoning. The nations that harvest these animals have every incentive to see that these animals don't go extinct. Of anybody the people that earn their living off of whales are most likely to ensure their survival.

5. Saying that we shouldn't hunt whales based on the fact that they are cute, or that it hurts the way we kill them is not a scientific reasoned argument. It is a moral value judgment. Unless we can say with a high level of certainty through science that the killing of any whale would cause irreparable harm to humanity we have no right to tell others they can't do it. If we try to force the Japanese or the Icelanders to stop whaling we are enforcing our believe system on them. Unless we can make a irrefutable case that their whale is clearly endangering other human lives, then we have no right to stop them. We have no right to infringe upon their rights until our life or liberty is threatened by their actions. Any other action would be totally bigoted and arrogant.

6. Anthropomorphizing whales is bad reasoning. They are not humans we can't assign human emotions to them. Assigning emotion to them is just as unscientific as assigning them souls. Science can say nothing to that matter.

I personally think that whaling is a bad idea, but I will not try to force my belief on anybody else. Until I see irrefutable evidence that shows beyond a reasonable doubt that hunting whale to any level is a clear and present danger to other humans I will let them live as they please.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I have no idea why everyone is so horny for protecting the whales. I say we should just kill them all except for the Narwhals. They are the unicorns of the sea.

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
werewolfsfury said:
crystalsnow said:
First of all genius, how do animals become endangered in the first place? Obviously has nothing to do with hunting them. Also, care to explain WHY you need to hunt them so badly in the first place?
perfumes and other things
Woah, perfume comes in whale blubber scent? FUCKIN' A

3 legged goat

Feb 28, 2010
Nivag the Owl said:
Wait... People eat whale? I was genuinely unaware of that. In fact, I've never even pondered the meaning of whale hunting. But anyways, I would much rather they weren't hunted... In the same way that I would much rather cows weren't hunted. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to eat them.
People don't hunt cows. They have ranches where thousands of cows are raised for that purpose. Some small business owners get them from markets where people sell cows like my dad who raises cows to sell for there meat.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
They eat tons of plankton & keep it's population down. Here's a short video about how bad too much plankton is for the environment:

Apr 28, 2008
People are probably for saving the whales because they, um, help stop global warming [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/science/7480-Science-Whales-Fight-Global-Warming.4]

3 legged goat

Feb 28, 2010
skywalkerlion said:

I shall never whale after watching this.

Prepare to be scarred for life before you hit that play button.
I dont get it...what was he saying? And i don't think that people beat whales to death. I don't think its possible. and still What???

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Now before making a thread about it, couldn't you of at least typed in "Why people are against Whaling" in Google or researched. All of that aside:

Irridium said:
People are probably for saving the whales because they, um, help stop global warming [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/science/7480-Science-Whales-Fight-Global-Warming.4]
He who posts that thread is the correct one.

And they're endangered like lots of people already pointed out.

Composer

Aug 3, 2009
i know man
same thing with polar bears...
"aww there soooo cute"
cute my ass they'll eat ur fucking face off!!!