Why are people hyping up The Emoji Movie?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,915
0
0
I mean for geez people, its just a typical blockbuster animated movie, a rather bland and eh one judging by trailer, but everyone is treating it as if it was the Second Holocaust or World War 3.

I mean where was this hype when the Minions movie was a thing or Boss Baby, I mean seriously what is it about this movie that grinds so many people's gears?

 
Nov 28, 2007
10,686
0
0
Because this is an example of a movie where it's not just possibly bad on an execution level, it's bad on a conceptual level. I mean, to use your examples: People found the Minions enjoyable as side characters in Despicable Me, so a spin-off focusing on them makes a certain sense. Boss Baby...well, as a kid's movie, there are far worse ideas than "sibling rivalry with added class distinction stuff". The execution of those may have been lacking, but it wasn't because the idea itself sucked.

But emojis? How do you make a movie out of emojis? I mean, the entire idea of an emoji is to be representative of one specific emotion, so it'll be really tricky to avoid completely flat characters. And quite frankly, that trailer does not inspire confidence.
 

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
18,157
1
3
Country
UK
I don't think "hype" is the right word for this case?
hype1
hʌɪp/
informal
noun
noun: hype

1.
extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion.
"his first album hit the stores amid a storm of hype"
synonyms: publicity, advertising, promotion, marketing, puff, puffery, propaganda, exposure; More
boost, push, fanfare, build-up;
informalplug, plugging, razzmatazz, ballyhoo
"she relied on hype and headlines to stoke up interest in her music"
a deception carried out for the sake of publicity.
plural noun: hypes
"is his comeback a hype?"

verb
verb: hype; 3rd person present: hypes; past tense: hyped; past participle: hyped; gerund or present participle: hyping

1.
promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its benefits.
"an industry quick to hype its products"
synonyms: publicize, advertise, promote, push, boost, merchandise, give publicity to, give a puff to, puff, puff up, build up, talk up, beat/bang the drum for; informalplug
"this was another stunt to hype a new product"
antonyms: play down

Yeah the word doesn't fit to what you are descripting. Ok technically yes if terms of promoting it.
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,915
0
0
Scarim Coral said:
I don't think "hype" is the right word for this case?
hype1
hʌɪp/
informal
noun
noun: hype

1.
extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion.
"his first album hit the stores amid a storm of hype"
synonyms: publicity, advertising, promotion, marketing, puff, puffery, propaganda, exposure; More
boost, push, fanfare, build-up;
informalplug, plugging, razzmatazz, ballyhoo
"she relied on hype and headlines to stoke up interest in her music"
a deception carried out for the sake of publicity.
plural noun: hypes
"is his comeback a hype?"

verb
verb: hype; 3rd person present: hypes; past tense: hyped; past participle: hyped; gerund or present participle: hyping

1.
promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its benefits.
"an industry quick to hype its products"
synonyms: publicize, advertise, promote, push, boost, merchandise, give publicity to, give a puff to, puff, puff up, build up, talk up, beat/bang the drum for; informalplug
"this was another stunt to hype a new product"
antonyms: play down

Yeah the word doesn't fit to what you are descripting. Ok technically yes if terms of promoting it.
I was thinkiing of a proper title and this was the best I could describe it in short.
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,915
0
0
Queen Michael said:
Because Patrick Stewart does a voice in it, of course.
This isn't the first time Patrick Stewart has a blemish in his career.

Chicken Little
Ted 2
The "bad" Star Trek movies (even though I liked Generations and Nemesis)
 

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Apr 14, 2020
5,184
173
68
Samtemdo8 said:
Scarim Coral said:
I don't think "hype" is the right word for this case?
hype1
hʌɪp/
informal
noun
noun: hype

1.
extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion.
"his first album hit the stores amid a storm of hype"
synonyms: publicity, advertising, promotion, marketing, puff, puffery, propaganda, exposure; More
boost, push, fanfare, build-up;
informalplug, plugging, razzmatazz, ballyhoo
"she relied on hype and headlines to stoke up interest in her music"
a deception carried out for the sake of publicity.
plural noun: hypes
"is his comeback a hype?"

verb
verb: hype; 3rd person present: hypes; past tense: hyped; past participle: hyped; gerund or present participle: hyping

1.
promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its benefits.
"an industry quick to hype its products"
synonyms: publicize, advertise, promote, push, boost, merchandise, give publicity to, give a puff to, puff, puff up, build up, talk up, beat/bang the drum for; informalplug
"this was another stunt to hype a new product"
antonyms: play down

Yeah the word doesn't fit to what you are descripting. Ok technically yes if terms of promoting it.
I was thinkiing of a proper title and this was the best I could describe it in short.
"shitting on" sounds more accurate.

OT: I haven't seen that outrage myself yet (outside the Youtube comments). I mean, jeez, Youtube commenters have been reacting this way to the latest blockbuster animated movies for a while too. That's nothing new.
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,915
0
0
CaitSeith said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Scarim Coral said:
I don't think "hype" is the right word for this case?
hype1
hʌɪp/
informal
noun
noun: hype

1.
extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion.
"his first album hit the stores amid a storm of hype"
synonyms: publicity, advertising, promotion, marketing, puff, puffery, propaganda, exposure; More
boost, push, fanfare, build-up;
informalplug, plugging, razzmatazz, ballyhoo
"she relied on hype and headlines to stoke up interest in her music"
a deception carried out for the sake of publicity.
plural noun: hypes
"is his comeback a hype?"

verb
verb: hype; 3rd person present: hypes; past tense: hyped; past participle: hyped; gerund or present participle: hyping

1.
promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its benefits.
"an industry quick to hype its products"
synonyms: publicize, advertise, promote, push, boost, merchandise, give publicity to, give a puff to, puff, puff up, build up, talk up, beat/bang the drum for; informalplug
"this was another stunt to hype a new product"
antonyms: play down

Yeah the word doesn't fit to what you are descripting. Ok technically yes if terms of promoting it.
I was thinkiing of a proper title and this was the best I could describe it in short.
"shitting on" sounds more accurate.

OT: I haven't seen that outrage myself yet (outside the Youtube comments). I mean, jeez, Youtube commenters have been reacting this way to the latest blockbuster animated movies for a while too. That's nothing new.
This is diffeerent, I have seen youtube video makers shitting on this movie, they are treating it as if it is the absolute nadir of animation if not movies in general, its as if they forgot FoodFight exists:

 

Catnip1024

New member
Jan 25, 2010
328
0
0
Well, the Minions movie worked because they were the best part of all the films. This, however, is intellectually insulting because somebody just took something vaguely popular and attempted to turn it into a movie for the purpose of crude commercialisation.

See also the Angry Birds movie.

On the other hand, this does complete Patrick Stewarts career arc from Shakespearean actor to captain in a nerdy sci fi series to an actual turd. Can't wait to see his next move.
 

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Apr 14, 2020
5,184
173
68
Samtemdo8 said:
CaitSeith said:
This is diffeerent, I have seen youtube video makers shitting on this movie, they are treating it as if it is the absolute nadir of animation if not movies in general, its as if they forgot FoodFight exists:

I haven't watched FoodFight, therefore The Emoji Movie is the worse movie ever. /s

Seriously though, people make Youtube videos overreacting to everything nowadays. Why is this different?
 

Wintermute_v1legacy

New member
Mar 16, 2012
1,829
0
0
The internet likes to shit on actors, musicians, movies, TV shows, whatever, for no reason. Most of the time they're not even familiar with the actor/movie/whatever they're hating on, but it's cool, everyone is doing it. That's about it.

It's a movie for kids, who gives a shit.
 

Natemans

New member
Apr 5, 2017
681
0
0
Samtemdo8 said:
I mean for geez people, its just a typical blockbuster animated movie, a rather bland and eh one judging by trailer, but everyone is treating it as if it was the Second Holocaust or World War 3.

I mean where was this hype when the Minions movie was a thing or Boss Baby, I mean seriously what is it about this movie that grinds so many people's gears?

Hype isn't really the right word. More like used as a prime example of what's wrong with Hollywood.
 

Natemans

New member
Apr 5, 2017
681
0
0
Samtemdo8 said:
CaitSeith said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Scarim Coral said:
I don't think "hype" is the right word for this case?
hype1
hʌɪp/
informal
noun
noun: hype

1.
extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion.
"his first album hit the stores amid a storm of hype"
synonyms: publicity, advertising, promotion, marketing, puff, puffery, propaganda, exposure; More
boost, push, fanfare, build-up;
informalplug, plugging, razzmatazz, ballyhoo
"she relied on hype and headlines to stoke up interest in her music"
a deception carried out for the sake of publicity.
plural noun: hypes
"is his comeback a hype?"

verb
verb: hype; 3rd person present: hypes; past tense: hyped; past participle: hyped; gerund or present participle: hyping

1.
promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its benefits.
"an industry quick to hype its products"
synonyms: publicize, advertise, promote, push, boost, merchandise, give publicity to, give a puff to, puff, puff up, build up, talk up, beat/bang the drum for; informalplug
"this was another stunt to hype a new product"
antonyms: play down

Yeah the word doesn't fit to what you are descripting. Ok technically yes if terms of promoting it.
I was thinkiing of a proper title and this was the best I could describe it in short.
"shitting on" sounds more accurate.

OT: I haven't seen that outrage myself yet (outside the Youtube comments). I mean, jeez, Youtube commenters have been reacting this way to the latest blockbuster animated movies for a while too. That's nothing new.
This is diffeerent, I have seen youtube video makers shitting on this movie, they are treating it as if it is the absolute nadir of animation if not movies in general, its as if they forgot FoodFight exists:

Gonna be honest: Foodfight is one of the worst movies ever made, but I just laugh at how pathetic it is. The reason people are crapping on it is because its a prime example of a cynical company making something very unimaginative and it looks really terrible.
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,915
0
0
Natemans said:
Samtemdo8 said:
CaitSeith said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Scarim Coral said:
I don't think "hype" is the right word for this case?
hype1
hʌɪp/
informal
noun
noun: hype

1.
extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion.
"his first album hit the stores amid a storm of hype"
synonyms: publicity, advertising, promotion, marketing, puff, puffery, propaganda, exposure; More
boost, push, fanfare, build-up;
informalplug, plugging, razzmatazz, ballyhoo
"she relied on hype and headlines to stoke up interest in her music"
a deception carried out for the sake of publicity.
plural noun: hypes
"is his comeback a hype?"

verb
verb: hype; 3rd person present: hypes; past tense: hyped; past participle: hyped; gerund or present participle: hyping

1.
promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its benefits.
"an industry quick to hype its products"
synonyms: publicize, advertise, promote, push, boost, merchandise, give publicity to, give a puff to, puff, puff up, build up, talk up, beat/bang the drum for; informalplug
"this was another stunt to hype a new product"
antonyms: play down

Yeah the word doesn't fit to what you are descripting. Ok technically yes if terms of promoting it.
I was thinkiing of a proper title and this was the best I could describe it in short.
"shitting on" sounds more accurate.

OT: I haven't seen that outrage myself yet (outside the Youtube comments). I mean, jeez, Youtube commenters have been reacting this way to the latest blockbuster animated movies for a while too. That's nothing new.
This is diffeerent, I have seen youtube video makers shitting on this movie, they are treating it as if it is the absolute nadir of animation if not movies in general, its as if they forgot FoodFight exists:

Gonna be honest: Foodfight is one of the worst movies ever made, but I just laugh at how pathetic it is. The reason people are crapping on it is because its a prime example of a cynical company making something very unimaginative and it looks really terrible.
Or why can't you laugh at how bad The Emoji Movie might be?
 

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Apr 14, 2020
5,184
173
68
Samtemdo8 said:
Or why can't you laugh at how bad The Emoji Movie might be?
It doesn't even look like it will be laughably bad. The trailer makes it looks like they made a movie out of the overused animated movie cliches. It looks like a safe but mediocre approach to Internet culture. Ironically the result will probably be &#128530
 

kasperbbs

New member
Dec 27, 2009
1,855
0
0
Really? who's hyping it? This post is only the second time i heard of this movie and this one was considerably more positive than the first one.
 

RaikuFA

New member
Jun 12, 2009
4,370
0
0
Part of the issue is that we were supposed to get a Popeye movie helmed by Geddy, but it got canned in favor of this garbage.

Why are you defending it?
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,915
0
0
RaikuFA said:
Part of the issue is that we were supposed to get a Popeye movie helmed by Geddy, but it got canned in favor of this garbage.

Why are you defending it?
The only pretense of defense I give to it is that I don't think this is the absolute nadir of animated movies after seeing FoodFight, because again critics are longing to hate the movie, like already they are pre imagining the comical reviews they will make in thier heads.

But I don't care for the movie as is, its bland and boring. Wake me up when Disney Makes Fantasia 3 with traditional animation and great orchestral pieces thank you.
 

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
9,598
2,854
118
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Gender
Male
Samtemdo8 said:
Because it looks like a bad cross between Wreck-It Ralph, and Inside Out. I am not making a big deal about it, but I have no plans to see it. Like some others had mentioned Emoji looks like a corporate mandated movie with all the stock animated movie cliches. I'll let Double Toasted do the rest. The video is 30 minutes long.

<spoiler= Double Toasted Reacts to Emoji Trailer>
RaikuFA said:
Part of the issue is that we were supposed to get a Popeye movie helmed by Geddy, but it got canned in favor of this garbage.

Why are you defending it?
That's sad, but at least we got the final Season of Samurai Jack, so I'm not broken up about it at least. If you're a hardcore Popeye fan, that is understandable.
 

Orga777

New member
Jan 2, 2008
197
0
0
I will just leave this here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBe1hXRNi4g

Just apply everything in this video to The Emoji Movie, and it is the same stupid ass problem. The reason people are freaking out about this negatively is because it shows how much contempt movie studio's have for the general public. They think kids are stupid. Not just normal stupid, but REALLY stupid. Like breath on a glass to get by stupid. It is nothing more than a product carefully crafted by a corporation to make money off of ignorant masses. There is no artistic merit here. Just cold hard cynicism in order to make a quick buck.