Why are people hyping up The Emoji Movie?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
RaikuFA said:
Part of the issue is that we were supposed to get a Popeye movie helmed by Geddy, but it got canned in favor of this garbage.

Why are you defending it?
The only pretense of defense I give to it is that I don't think this is the absolute nadir of animated movies after seeing FoodFight, because again critics are longing to hate the movie, like already they are pre imagining the comical reviews they will make in thier heads.

But I don't care for the movie as is, its bland and boring. Wake me up when Disney Makes Fantasia 3 with traditional animation and great orchestral pieces thank you.
Foodfight works on a so bad its good level, like how people get an enjoyment out of stuff like The Room, Troll 2 or Ride to Hell. Emoji Movie is just cynical to look at. It even seems like it's kinda trying to rip off the Lego Movie/Wreck it Ralph. I mean the girl emoji reminds me of Wildstyle from The Lego Movie. But here's the thing, Emoji's are still a new idea, right now they're considered a fad. Are we still gonna have them around in 10 years? We don't know. It's like making a Beanie Babies film in '98. We've had a lot of things based off of fads from the decade it came from, and not much of it is remembered fondly. Rubiks Cube cartoon anyone?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
RaikuFA said:
Samtemdo8 said:
RaikuFA said:
Part of the issue is that we were supposed to get a Popeye movie helmed by Geddy, but it got canned in favor of this garbage.

The only pretense of defense I give to it is that I don't think this is the absolute nadir of animated movies after seeing FoodFight, because again critics are longing to hate the movie, like already they are pre imagining the comical reviews they will make in thier heads.

But I don't care for the movie as is, its bland and boring. Wake me up when Disney Makes Fantasia 3 with traditional animation and great orchestral pieces thank you.
Foodfight works on a so bad its good level, like how people get an enjoyment out of stuff like The Room, Troll 2 or Ride to Hell. Emoji Movie is just cynical to look at. It even seems like it's kinda trying to rip off the Lego Movie/Wreck it Ralph. I mean the girl emoji reminds me of Wildstyle from The Lego Movie. But here's the thing, Emoji's are still a new idea, right now they're considered a fad. Are we still gonna have them around in 10 years? We don't know. It's like making a Beanie Babies film in '98. We've had a lot of things based off of fads from the decade it came from, and not much of it is remembered fondly. Rubiks Cube cartoon anyone?
Have you tried watching FoodFight! on its own without a funny commentator like JonTron and Nostalgia Critic? Because it devolves into an utterly painful slog to watch where I just wanted to stop!

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
CoCage said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Because it looks like a bad cross between Wreck-It Ralph, and Inside Out. I am not making a big deal about it, but I have no plans to see it. Like some others had mentioned Emoji looks like a corporate mandated movie with all the stock animated movie cliches. I'll let Double Toasted do the rest. The video is 30 minutes long.

<spoiler= Double Toasted Reacts to Emoji Trailer>
RaikuFA said:

That's sad, but at least we got the final Season of Samurai Jack, so I'm not broken up about it at least. If you're a hardcore Popeye fan, that is understandable.
I'm glad we got SJ S5(I actually need to binge watch this franchise). But I would have loved to see a Popeye film with GT working on it. Popeye meets Sinbad is one cartoon I remember fondly growing up.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
RaikuFA said:
Samtemdo8 said:
RaikuFA said:

Have you tried watching FoodFight! on its own without a funny commentator like JonTron and Nostalgia Critic? Because it devolves into an utterly painful slog to watch where I just wanted to stop!
Yes and no, because I watch it to riff on it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
RaikuFA said:
I'm glad we got SJ S5(I actually need to binge watch this franchise). But I would have loved to see a Popeye film with GT working on it. Popeye meets Sinbad is one cartoon I remember fondly growing up.
Yes, one of my personal favorite Popeye episodes.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
CoCage said:
RaikuFA said:
Yes, one of my personal favorite Popeye episodes.
Pure classic, had a VHS of it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Orga777 said:
I will just leave this here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBe1hXRNi4g

Just apply everything in this video to The Emoji Movie, and it is the same stupid ass problem. The reason people are freaking out about this negatively is because it shows how much contempt movie studio's have for the general public. They think kids are stupid. Not just normal stupid, but REALLY stupid. Like breath on a glass to get by stupid. It is nothing more than a product carefully crafted by a corporation to make money off of ignorant masses. There is no artistic merit here. Just cold hard cynicism in order to make a quick buck.
I really hope IHE does an in depth analysis on this movie on why it doesn't work.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I have heard no hype.

Though apparently Patrick Stewart is...the poop.

Look, Patrick, I love you, you're a classy guy who despite earning the right to be an arrogant pretentious prick and us having to accept that, like to make fun of yourself. But this? This is pathetic and much respect for you is lost. Sure, you have more than enough to make up for it, but come on...

There are some places people should keep boldly ungone.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
I dunno. Boss Baby at least kinda made...some sense. It was just a really bad movie.

But a movie about emojis? That just hits people's "What? How? What?" buttons. It doesn't even make sense as a pitch. Like...the characters are emojis? Where is the plot?

I had the same reaction to hearing that there was a Lego movie, but that turned out to be pretty funny, so who knows, right? Maybe these insane studio executives are just tapping into a higher realm of creativity. Or maybe they're just eating shrooms by the handful.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I see a lot of people having their heads stuck firmly up their asses over here &#128169;

Although it looks like it's doing a bit of Wreck-it-Ralph and Inside Out, it doesn't seem that bad, seems like a good movie to sit down for 90 minutes, turn your brains off and just sit back and relax.

The scene of &#9995; eating the piece of &#127852; he regurgitated did make me chuckle, I might just go and see it, I've sat through worse.

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
RaikuFA said:

Because this is the defense Samtemdo has for everything it seems.
"Why do people think DC movies are bad? Haven't they read x,y or z which is so much worse?!"
"Why do people call World of Warcraft movie bad? Haven't they seen other video game movies before?"

So, of course, "Why are people hating on the emoji movie, haven't they seen Foodfight which is so much worse?!"

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
If you can't see that an emoji movie is self evidently a sin against the natural order then there is no hope for you.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
RaikuFA said:
Samtemdo8 said:
RaikuFA said:

I've actually watched Food Fight on my own and I found it hilariously awful to look at and watch.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
TrulyBritish said:
RaikuFA said:

"Why do people think DC movies are bad? Haven't they read x,y or z which is so much worse?!"
"Why do people call World of Warcraft movie bad? Haven't they seen other video game movies before?"

So, of course, "Why are people hating on the emoji movie, haven't they seen Foodfight which is so much worse?!"
I know. Its like a cliche at this point.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Natemans said:
TrulyBritish said:
RaikuFA said:

I know. Its like a cliche at this point.
But in this case I agree it looks like a shitty movie not worth the price of admission, but I don't see this as the pinnicle of shitty aniamted movies after we had so much of them already.

The reason I made this thread because I watched this utterly pretentious movie expert guy on youtube that was just treating this movie as the deathknell of all Hollywood, that there will never be more original films that is not a franchise installment, a remake/reboot, or an adaption of a book or history because of this movie.

What I like to ask is what movies that came out in recent times were considered "original" by his standards?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
TrulyBritish said:
RaikuFA said:

Well in this case you have to do something unbelievably stupid and bad to warrent me saying that I think its the absolute nadir of aniamted movies, and so far this Emoji movie just isn't doing it for me.

Its just an average Bad movie. Not the Nadir.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
bluegate said:
I see a lot of people having their heads stuck firmly up their asses over here &#128169;

Although it looks like it's doing a bit of Wreck-it-Ralph and Inside Out, it doesn't seem that bad, seems like a good movie to sit down for 90 minutes, turn your brains off and just sit back and relax.

The scene of &#9995; eating the piece of &#127852; he regurgitated did make me chuckle, I might just go and see it, I've sat through worse.
No, he's been infected. QUARANTINE!!!

TrulyBritish said:
RaikuFA said:

Sad, isn't it? And he never addressed the fact that the movie is based off of a fad. Just went "Foodfight's only good with commentary" and now is bringing up other films in a desperate attempt to make himself right on how it's "not the worst".

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I dunno. I mean, I just don't get the point of turning something as simple as Smileys into a feature length film. It's a bit like making a multiple hundred pages novel out of a knock knock joke, you know? I mean, you're wasting your audiences time and the humor will probably be lost somewhere along the way.

There just isn't much to go in there, or in internet memes in general, honestly. I mean, they made a movie about that vaguely pissed looking cat once, didn't they? And that was pretty damn stupid because the whole point of lolcats is that they're just simple images with funny captions. Anything more and you're running out of things to do with them. The reason memes spread is because they're simple, You see them and you get the joke, you don't have to ask things like "What's the point?" or "What does it mean?", you can do that, I suppose, but that's not where the humor in them is. It's just simple stuff like "There's a picture of a cat with a silly caption!", "There's a dancing banana!", "There's the intro of Dark Knight Rises which has a some absolutely fucking surreal dialogue!" and you recognize it and you have a chuckle.

Basically what I'm saying is, you can't construct a movie around a simple image unless you're okay with something that has very little to do with the image you started with. It's just pointless.

What're they gonna make next? The "Unfunny image macros your aunt posts on Facebook" movie? Oh, wait, they already did. It was called "Minions".

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Seriously, has someone besides Samntendo seen this "hyped up outrage" about the movie? This mass proclaim of The Emoji Movie being the Nadir of animated films? Everyone here seems to agree that the movie itself will most likely be a lazy exploitation of fads and Internet culture.