Why are people making such a big deal of out of Quiet from MGS 5?

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
Drathnoxis said:
Hardsuit said:
Paragon Fury said:
As much as I love T&A, and Quiet is fine otherwise, there are a few of rather out-of-tone or completely random scenes with Quiet where its just like....WTF?

Well lets do a comparison. Which one of these makes you feel funny?

I'm not exactly sure what point you are trying to make, but I think this picture complements the video well.

nomotog said:
You would have to be rather puritan to see it as obscene and honestly no one sees it that way.
I do.
It will always get you. I swear you could find people arguing for human extinction on the web and you can.. so ya. Though I guess I just have a different problem then you do. I have a problem with how the style destroys the credibility of the character and contributes to a nasty trend in how games mishandle the sexy stuff. The sex itself isn't the problem for me it's more the way it's handed with zero respect to.. well anyone. Not the player, character, or the sexy itself.

SolidState

May 30, 2015
It's just people getting upset because a video game doesn't cater specifically to them and it offends their delicate sensibilities. So basically, nothing new at all.

Also:

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
SolidState said:
It's just people getting upset because a video game doesn't cater specifically to them and it offends their delicate sensibilities. So basically, nothing new at all.

Also:
that picture is indeed true in this case... Now is dose that make it better or worse??

(Another reason given for Quiet's outfit was for the cosplay.)

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Johnny Novgorod said:
Because she's an even more blatant source of fanservice in a world that isn't strictly devised for fanservice.
Who the fuck wears a bikini top to battle?
Someone who breathes through artificial skin after you basically set her on fire and screwed up her lungs beyond even MGS magic medical science..

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Metalix Knightmare said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Because she's an even more blatant source of fanservice in a world that isn't strictly devised for fanservice.
Someone who breathes through artificial skin after you basically set her on fire and screwed up her lungs beyond even MGS magic medical science..
You know, there are two types of explanation in media, I find. An explanation that is worked into the world and is part of the world, and an explanation that was forced to make the director's decision fit even though it doesn't mesh with the rest of the story that well. Usually created after the thing it's justifying was implemented.

This whole breathing through her skin thing reeks of the second one.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Metalix Knightmare said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Amazingly that explanation is both trying too hard and yet also too lazy.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
I guess for Metal Gear, it just might be possible for someone to get the game not expecting this level of shit.

Jim may be allowed to live.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
My issue with her is that she just looks dumb.

Her design looks dumb, the reason for her design is dumb, her poses are dumb, the way the camera treats her is dumb. It's an all-round dumbfest.

And I must say the `you guys are just sex-negative` comments are just the cherry on top of this very dumb cake.
Quiet is not `sex`, the way Quiet is presented is not `sex`. Quiet is presented as a very narrow bit of specific male-targeted wank fodder. And that's fine on it's own. It's just dumb, it kind of looks out of place with what I've seen of it, even having seen other MGS stuff.

And not to mention the whole `I'm going to make a female character who is always nearly naked, jiggles like jelly and never speaks` thing is more than a little fuckin' creepy.

But what do I know, I guess I'm a puritan now. I must seek a hat with a belt on it.

Pinkilicious

Sep 24, 2014
Phasmal said:
My issue with her is that she just looks dumb.

Her design looks dumb, the reason for her design is dumb, her poses are dumb, the way the camera treats her is dumb. It's an all-round dumbfest.

And I must say the `you guys are just sex-negative` comments are just the cherry on top of this very dumb cake.
Quiet is not `sex`, the way Quiet is presented is not `sex`. Quiet is presented as a very narrow bit of specific male-targeted wank fodder. And that's fine on it's own. It's just dumb, it kind of looks out of place with what I've seen of it, even having seen other MGS stuff.

And not to mention the whole `I'm going to make a female character who is always nearly naked, jiggles like jelly and never speaks` thing is more than a little fuckin' creepy.

But what do I know, I guess I'm a puritan now. I must seek a hat with a belt on it.
I think what makes the costume bad IS that it's designed for cosplay. That community past the early 2000s...Nooooot known for sensible designs in the least!

Anime/cosplay designs and original interpretations have simply gotten WEIRDER over time. Quiet is an unfortunate victim of that. Even the feminist redesign doesn't get Quiet/look right.
http://bikiniarmorbattledamage.tumblr.com/post/129214322638/shattered-earth-backstory-made-to-fit-a

If she really needed to be exposed 24/7 I think she'd have some sort of strategically-placed swirling sheer fabric, possibly gossamer, obscuring her nether regions like Cloud of Darkness' outfit on Duodecim, or maybe just one full weave of fabric like
followed by some sort of rigid superstructure and then over that a bug-like carapace as her actual armour that's mostly NOT in direct contact with her skin. (somewhat like the harness-with-movable-wings some stage plays use to mimick flight)

Neither design actually takes the so-called 'physical flaws' of Quiet into account. That's the real reason why they suck.
If Kojima gave a crap about actually working with his justification, she would need a custom-designed outfit designed only to block sand, then bullets, not just throwing together whatever they found in the bargain bin of a lingerie shop.
Both bras cover too much. The fishnets cover too much. The shoes DEFINITELY cover too much. Bad design everywhere.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Ambient_Malice said:
Thyunda said:
No, guys. The costume came first, the reason second. This isn't a poor woman having her outfit dictated by her medical condition - this is a fictional creation formed in the mind of an unpredictable man with a vivid and creative imagination. One who had the image of her and her behaviour in his head before he thought, "she breathes through her skin."

Otherwise the alternate costumes would be equally revealing. Otherwise that elderly skin-breather wouldn't have gone into battle bedecked in shrubbery.
The key difference is that Quiet's lungs were destroyed by Ishmael. We don't really know at what point Kojima penned, "And then a mysterious man with a bandaged head who talks just like Snake sets the female assassin on fire before throwing more flammable liquid on her as she screams and throws herself out a convenient window."
Notorious Nottingham gangster Colin Gunn once set a man on fire.
That man does not breathe through his skin.

Again, it's a case of creatively working backwards, because this explanation actually makes it even worse.
She dresses like an idiot because she breathes through her skin.
She breathes through her skin because she hasn't got any lungs.
She hasn't got any lungs because a villain burned them all up.

I'm not going to point out that the whole concept's unrealistic, because Kojima has form and this is at least consistent with the kind of logic in the series. I am going to say, though, it's a decidedly stupid excuse, and I know it sounds really silly to say that this is what'll stop people like me taking MGS seriously, but it really does.

I assume the stripper poses and constant, ah, flaunting (that I've seen literally no real women do) are to aid in the photosynthesis? Or is that because the burns are making her uncomfortable? Speaking of, wouldn't it make more sense to...show the burns? De-sexualise the character entirely by giving her a revealing costume and horrific third degree burns? Hell, the grotesquely-injured, gruff warrior isn't exactly a novel concept as a male. Can name a thousand characters who wear masks or bandages to hide a war injury, but strangely enough, very, very few women.

Try and see this creative process evolving naturally - start with Ishmael and the fire and then try to follow a logical series of events that leads to a bikini top and ripped tights. And combat boots, because practicality, obviously.
There isn't one, dude. Character model came first, convoluted backstory afterward. And it's gotta be convoluted, because her skin is goddamned flawless.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Thyunda said:
Again, it's a case of creatively working backwards, because this explanation actually makes it even worse.
Is there an explanation for how her lungs can get burned to a crisp, but her skin is able to remain pristine and perfectly serviceable?

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
Something to say to those who are taking this as a way to repress sexuality in games (and obviously I can only speak for myself):

I'm perfectly fine with having sex in games. In fact I think one of the problems is that we don't have too much of it. If you want it in your games, fine, but go all out! You want to make a game about sexy stripper ladies, make a game about sexy stripper ladies! You want to have a scene with some ass jiggling, then make a scene about ass jiggling!

But here's the thing: don't half-ass it! Sex, such like any story element, isn't something you can just throw into anywhere. You want to make sure that it fits the tone of your game or fits the tone of the scene. That's the problem I think most people are having. Because remember, it isn't them who are setting such a high bar for MGSV, it's the game itself. This is a game that DEMANDS you to take it seriously, that BOASTS with how adult, mature and deep it is. So is it too much to ask some basic tonal consistency from it?

Fact of the matter just seems to be that the design of Quiet, her behaviour and the way the camera acts around her clashes with almost everything else that's going on. If you want to have those scenes, fine, but you have to frame them properly. This is not something you can just throw in there, there has to be a clear and gradual shift in tone in order to prevent the entire thing from feeling like it's out of place.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having Quiet in a sexy outfit, having her act in a sexy way or even having sex, but those things have to make fit the atmosphere and her character.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Drathnoxis said:
I'm not exactly sure what point you are trying to make, but I think this picture complements the video well.
I never understood the point of these kinda pics or role reversal situations meant to be some sort of eye opener. Unless we are bringing up a guys in ladies dress fetish (and I've honestly known a few people who were into that) then these role reversal pics really don't work.

Let's try to make Snake sexy from this, yeah?
First of all, lose the bra. Makes Snake bare chested.
I was gonna say lose the fishnets too, but at one point guys in tights used to be considered sexy so I'll let that slip, I'm really not sure about this one.
The jury is also out on the gloves, might need to have a 2nd opinion on this, but wouldn't bare naked muscles be more effective? Arms can be an important feature in a guy where it really isn't for a girl.

Finally, guys doing girls poses tends to be considered more humorous then sexy, like when women try to imitate exagerated guy poses. So unless the viewer is into feminized men (nothing wrong with that, but from my experience this isn't what most women go for...Or maybe all the women I know are weird, i dunno) then the pose needs to be changed, like having Snake have his arms behind his head, making the muscly arms flex a bit and a be more like a guy from the cover of an erotic novel.

Which brings me to next point..Where's the butt? If there's one feature Snake is infamous for having, it's a sexy butt. And it's not being shown at all. Just flipping guy/girl poses doesn't work, Quiet in this pose shows off her best attributes located at the front, whereas snake's best attribute is at the back, so a hawkeye initiative style pose would have worked better.

The jockstrap emphasizing the groin is the one thing that works perfectly here and even better for snake then it does for quiet (since when a girl wears a gstring or w/e, it's usually for shapely bottoms rather then for emphasing the front). Though this also reinforces how much of a crime it is NOT to show snake's butt. Still a nice man lump ain't too shabby I guess and more sexual then the female equivalent which is just all flat.

Honestly the only thing that these kinda pics ever show me is that men and women express their sexuality in different ways xD If I had the art talent, I'd make an actual sexy snake pic in response to this one. Anyways this was a fun derailing, now im out before my heterosexuality is put into question.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
IceForce said:
Is there an explanation for how her lungs can get burned to a crisp, but her skin is able to remain pristine and perfectly serviceable?
Nanomachi- I mean
Mutant parasites, son.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
So, was it the fire or the parasite that makes it so Quiet can't process or digest food and water taken orally?

For that matter, what's the actual downside of this so called "parasite"? Really just seems like someone came up with a way to modify the human race to not need to spend so much time and resources on agriculture as well as largely eliminating starvation.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
altnameJag said:
So, was it the fire or the parasite that makes it so Quiet can't process or digest food and water taken orally?

For that matter, what's the actual downside of this so called "parasite"? Really just seems like someone came up with a way to modify the human race to not need to spend so much time and resources on agriculture as well as largely eliminating starvation.
I'll give you hint at the downside. Kojima wasn't being subtle by making a metaphor about the human condition and mortality or anything when he named her Quiet.

Pinkilicious

Sep 24, 2014
Frankster said:
Drathnoxis said:
Finally, guys doing girls poses tends to be considered more humorous then sexy, like when women try to imitate exaggerated guy poses. So unless the viewer is into feminized men (nothing wrong with that, but from my experience this isn't what most women go for...Or maybe all the women I know are weird, i dunno) then the pose needs to be changed, like having Snake have his arms behind his head, making the muscly arms flex a bit and a be more like a guy from the cover of an erotic novel.
Tends to...but not always!

Not really sure of the max rating, so last two are just a normal link:
http://40.media.tumblr.com/85b2fce9b5752ecc9db38365b27a9171/tumblr_mx56cvcMbh1qhcw70o1_1280.jpg
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/396598310913202697/

IceForce said:
Thyunda said:
They really should've gone the Hanako (Katawa Shoujo) route on that part.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
IceForce said:
Thyunda said:
This can actually happen in real life. A fire flash would definitely singe you and burn up your clothes, but can be readily survived with minimal skin injury assuming you aren't wearing a polyester. This is because although the air/fire mix is very hot, it is moving very fast and doesn't act on you for long - especially if you shift ass getting out of there.

However, if you were to face directly at the flash and gasp sharply as the flash came at you, you would draw in and contain a lungful of hundred degree gas, most of which is already toxic without being so hot, and hold it for a significantly longer period than your skin was exposed. This is made worse by the fact that you don't fully cycle all the air in your lungs every breath, so even if you breath out immediately, you won't get all the superheated gas out of you. Heat combined with the toxic effects of the gas could result in the almost immediate failure of your lungs, and likely near destruction of your esophagus.

Stay safe in fires. Avoid fire flashes, and do not breath in during a flare event.