Why are people making such a big deal of out of Quiet from MGS 5?

Ricardo Lima

May 4, 2012
erttheking said:
Ricardo Lima said:
Rethoric justifying that im not a moral crusader how dare you say there are people doing it. Im not it REALLY> IM MAD !

Also don't criticize other people for mockery when you're calling people sex negative moral crusaders.
I can and I will call them as I see.

If the hat does not fit do not wear it, simple. Try not don't sound so outraged when I say there are many or I will be inclined to believe you are one of the moral police.

I did not say everyone who dislikes the game is a moral crusader, or even said everyone who dislikes Quiets outfit is one.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Thyunda said:
MrFalconfly said:
Thyunda said:
I saw another post up there somewhere that said she was given an artificial skin, which is how she can photosynthesise and not look like Joshua Graham at the same time.
I dunno.

Maybe not Joshua Graham, but I'm fairly certain that she would look a bit like Gaila from Star Trek.

Because photosynthesis.

If her skin can photosynthesise, that means her skin contains chlorophyll, which would make her green.

EDIT:
Notice, you can still have a fanservicey character, even if she's green.
Hah, my Joshua Graham comment was a reference to the fact she'd been all burned up. So, y'know, bandages.
So either green, or bandages.

I propose a compromise.

Green with scattered bandages.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ricardo Lima said:
erttheking said:
Ricardo Lima said:
Rethoric justifying that im not a moral crusader how dare you say there are people doing it. Im not it REALLY> IM MAD !

Also don't criticize other people for mockery when you're calling people sex negative moral crusaders.

If the hat does not fit you dont sound so outraged when I say there are many. I did not say everyone who dislikes the game is a moral crusader, or even said everyone who dislikes Quiets is one.
Wow, you really are hypocrite on calling Jag out for mockery. You criticize him for hiding behind mockery instead of addressing his points. Then you do the same thing to me. Ducking under the majority of my post and just putting up a mocking inaccurate abridged version of it. If you're not actually going to respond to what I say, why bother replying to me at all?

Right you weren't, you just made a broad sweeping generalization. I fail to see how that's better. Also you said that there was a rising in the sex negative moral crusaders when answering the question as to why so many people had a problem with Quiet. Kind of sounded like that you were saying that at the very least the majority of people were sex negative moral crusaders. And even if you weren't talking about me, that's still a massive oversimplification, and frankly I detest nothing more than people simplifying the viewpoints of those who disagree with them.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
erttheking said:
... then get me a banner that says "Deus vult!" and call me Robert of Flanders.
Well well well. I do believe I have located a fellow watcher of Extra History.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
erttheking said:
Yup! They managed to make learning about history more fun than 15 years of school ever could.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Straight reviews don't get clicks. People will watch videos or go to articles if there's some drama involved.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I have a morbid curiosity to know what a non-"Moral-Crusader" critique of Quiet would even look like at this point.

And wildly off-topic: the picture of Wily Bohemond always gets a laugh out of me.

Coruptin

Inaction Master
Jul 9, 2009
altnameJag said:
I have a morbid curiosity to know what a non-"Moral-Crusader" critique of Quiet would even look like at this point.

And wildly off-topic: the picture of Wily Bohemond always gets a laugh out of me.
People think it looks dumb. Internet logic dictates that things they don't like is inherently bad.
I think Quiet has a boring uninspired design, and her whole name and origin is classic Hideo "subtle as rabid dog" Kojima, but I will defend his ability to create what he wants.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Sex sells, yet at the same time sex offends. Sometimes, it sells, and offends the same people, sometimes not.
Things get out on the internet, and the internet is full of all kinds of people, so you're going to run into them.

I get why she's dressed that way, though I'd imagine a full body mesh suit would've helped (Kinda like Tharja from Fire Emblem), or, you know, any outfit besides her battle bikini being prominent in the showings of the game. She does have alternate outfits, you know.

Every attempt to justify her outfit's going to fall flat. Largely because it's not super logical. Besides, the play arts kai Quiet figure has squishy boobs. It's obvious why they went with the look. Some people are tired of it. I can see why they would be, but I'm not at a breaking point yet. Alternate outfits, playable female soldiers (Huzah for psycho looking blood caked women interrogation time. <.<) that aren't dressed like that, some that are that I won't spoiler, just sayin' there's a door you can enter on the medical deck.

Kojima wanted people to cosplay as her. It's kinda easier since her outfit is so simple, and all.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Samtemdo8 said:
I mean seriously whats the big deal, ooh she wheres a bikini into battle and poses all sexually. Coming from the MGS series which already gave us plenty of sexually arousing ladies in the form of Sniper Wolf and her exposed clevage, EVA with her tight Jumpsuit and black bra (and at times in her whole bikni), and do I need to remind you of the Beauty and the Beast unit from MGS 4?

So whats makes Quiet so special?

Personally I blame the internet of today (youtube,ease of access, and faster speeds) because appearently gaming back in the 2000s are completely unknown and forgotten in todays internet.
SJW nutcases are always eager when a woman is objectified anywhere. News flash: it is rarely an issue - women and men are objectified for the purposes of entertainment since ancient history. The objectification is kind of the point in sexy stuff.

But in these case, Hideo Kojima threw wood into the fire saying that people would be ashamed when they realized the real reason why she walks around on bikinis. The reason was obviously bollocks and Quiet is sexy because he wanted her to be.

I can get behind an old japanese pervert with cultural misconceptions backed by solid game design skills (I still don't know why MGS does not have tentacles yet, and you gotta love the 80"s macho stuff that only MGS provides). It is harder to support a coward old japanese pervert.

So he ended taking shots from all angles.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Zhukov said:
Redryhno said:
undeadsuitor said:
Samtemdo8 said:
I remember a time when gaming actually accepted and sometimes praise sexuality in gaming I mean People referred to Lara Croft as the primere sex symbol in video games like how Elvis was to rock music.

What happened to all that?
We grew up and realized that the "progressive sexuality" was just a bunch of dudes creating personal fap material for a bunch of other dudes, while patting themselves on the back at how "progress" they were being without a clue in the world.
Right...and the new Lara, that you're supposed to want to "keep safe", while simultaneously supposedly an independent character that can take care of herself, is somehow better...boy, that progressive bunch sure evolved to such a great new form, still patting each other on their backs and talking about the downfall of sex symbols in games to replace them with dolls!
You may recall that that fellow's comments regarding Lara Croft didn't go down too well. He got thoroughly dogpiled. (Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the poor bugger received death threats.) I don't remember a single voice defending him. Not even the proto-gamergate crowd were on his side, let alone the "progressives".
I recall the guy saying it obviously. I also remember people still being more pissed about her "rape" scene than anything some other random guy on the team said at the time...

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
lets see the only female character you have, who dresses like a stripper, rolls around like a stripper, where the camera focuses on her ass and breasts, who says nothing all because of "breathing through her skin".. which makes no sense anyway because she has body paint and clothing options later

it feels tacky to be honest and goes so far beyond fan service it plows straight on into wank service.

why are people getting upset at it? well if she wasnt treated as some twisted males ideal of the perfect female who doesnt say anything and just looks and acts like a whore, she would be one of the most interesting characters seen this year.

the industry has reached the point of this sort of BS is crossing into completely unacceptable territory, konami and kojima still act like the only people who play games are 12 yo males.

plus the fact some people cant even see who it might be offensive to others is part of the issue

Ricardo Lima

May 4, 2012
Zhukov said:
erttheking said:
altnameJag said:
Ricardo Lima said:
I will believe facts. and you are being dishonest and hiding behind mockery again. Typical.
Have you heard of Rifftrax? Do you believe they hate every movie they've made fun of and want to cause those movies to not exist anymore?
Never heard of it. And I'm not talking about satirical work. The people accusing Quiets outfit is stimulating sexual violence, misogynistic, problematic, etc are in doing what exactly?

erttheking said:
Ricardo Lima said:
erttheking said:
Ricardo Lima said:

If the hat does not fit you don't sound so outraged when I say there are many. I did not say everyone who dislikes the game is a moral crusader or even said everyone who dislikes Quiets is one.
Wow, you really are hypocrite on calling Jag out for mockery. You criticize him for hiding behind mockery instead of addressing his points. Then you do the same thing to me. Ducking under the majority of my post and just putting up a mocking inaccurate abridged version of it. If you're not actually going to respond to what I say, why bother replying to me at all?

Right you weren't, you just made a broad sweeping generalization. I fail to see how that's better. Also you said that there was a rising in the sex negative moral crusaders when answering the question as to why so many people had a problem with Quiet. Kind of sounded like that you were saying that at the very least the majority of people were sex negative moral crusaders. And even if you weren't talking about me, that's still a massive oversimplification, and frankly I detest nothing more than people simplifying the viewpoints of those who disagree with them.
The hypocrisy is all yours. I was returning you the "favor".

I'm not simplifying anything I just like to be direct. You can look ut up how many articles, comments, posts linking her outfit with sexual violence, misogyny or calling it problematic (a favorite to avoid saying immoral). Don't take my word for it.

is the outfit realistic? Nope it's not a normal combat outfit in any way. Id does not bother me. If it bothers you change her skin, don't play it whatever suits better what you want.

Ricardo Lima

May 4, 2012
DeanCain said:
Ricardo Lima said:
Wait, so when you say something, you're just calling it how you see it but when someone says something YOU don't agree with, they're lying or mocking? You're pro-GG aren't you? That's not how life works, I'm afraid.
That's not what I said and the usual brigade is coming out of the woodwork. Try to twist my words harder. It's a poor effort.
Indeed, that's not how life works.

And why are you bringing GG into this?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I think I'm most offended by the conceit that I'm supposed to believe that ridiculously-flimsy justification. Come on, Kojima, just admit it: Quiet is eye-candy for the pocket-mining demographic. There are pole-dancing routines more conservative than her "yoga" display aboard the helicopter. To quote MST3K: "She's presenting like a mandrill!"

Ricardo Lima

May 4, 2012
DeanCain said:
Ricardo Lima said:
That's not what I said and the usual brigade is coming out of the woodwork. Try to twist my words harder. It's a poor effort.
Indeed, that's not how life works.

And why are you bringing GG into this?
Because they also use the tactics you are, where when you say something you're merely stating your opinion and explaining yourself, but when they say something it's nothing but foolishness and idiocy. Because the only option to agreeing with you is to be wrong in your eyes. I'd explain further, but several others are already trying and you don't seem to grasp it, merely doubling down on how goddamned right you are. Must be tough to be so enlightened whilst stuck amongst us troglodytes.
Avoid name-calling even implied. It's possible to agree to disagree. I stated my opinion clearly and I did not direct it at any specific person. When I mentioned originally moral crusader seems to me you and others took it very personally. Why?

Ricardo Lima

May 4, 2012
erttheking said:
Ricardo Lima said:
You did it first therefore it's ok for me to do it even though I'm still criticizing you for it? Really?

Well that has nothing to do with what we are talking about, not sure why you're bringing it up for me.

Play whatever suits better. Translation. Shut up and stop making criticisms I don't want to hear.
Not my intent I was saying do whatever you want that's it.It looks to me that you are determined to find offense in any answer I give you.

What are you trying to say?