Why are people making such a big deal of out of Quiet from MGS 5?

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Gundam GP01 said:
MrFalconfly said:
Gundam GP01 said:
altnameJag said:
"She's a cameleon, she can hide the green colour".

Guys, you've just placed a layer of reflective material on top of your "solarcells".

If she's "invisible", the light won't interact with her, and she'll starve. If she has any other colour than green, then the chlorophyll won't be excited by the required wavelengths of light.

Either she's green (as in, she looks green to you and me and all the cameras), or she doesn't photosynthesise.

EDIT:

Also, invisibility would also have the effect that whoever is invisible would be blind, because the light that'd have otherwise interacted with their eyes (so they can see) will have passed through them in order to make them invisible.
Or the third option: Metal Gear science is stupid and ridiculous, and 'the naked super-powered plant woman isnt green' is a petty complaint considering the sheer volume of the other dumb anime bullshit that's in the series.
Oh I'm just playing the devils advocate.

I know MGS has a repitation for being absolutely stupid, with no internal consistency.

This is just one problem with one character (a character that has been brought up for this thread).

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Gundam GP01 said:
Or the third option: Metal Gear science is stupid and ridiculous, and 'the naked super-powered plant woman isnt green' is a petty complaint considering the sheer volume of the other dumb anime bullshit that's in the series.
Weren't you arguing that it's scientifically grounded? Why the sudden change of what you're saying?

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Ouroboros said:
Oh please PLEASE stop trying to "talk science" here. Two things ok?

A: You can have a transparent solar cells, you can do a lot of things with color and solar energy conversion.

B: THERE IS NO REAL SCIENCE IN MGS!!!! It's all torrid bullshit. Enjoy the games or don't, but there is never anything more than, "Because Magic" at the core.

Or are you going to explain to me how a parasite lets you pull a rifle out of the palm of your fucking hand?
I'm still wondering about the robot man stopping the battleship. How strong he is isn't the question here, it's all a matter of weight ratios. A 1000 pound cyborg, cannot stop a multiple hundreds of thousands of tons battleship.

And yet somehow it's the sexy plant chameleon sniper that draws all the ire of the "it's too ridiculous!" crowd.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Gundam GP01 said:
DoPo said:
Gundam GP01 said:
Weren't you arguing that it's scientifically grounded? Why the sudden change of what you're saying?
Technically I was criticizing the assertion that it wasnt scientifically grounded. But of a difference.
You were directly suggesting scientific means for Quiet to function. If that was the way to say it's not scientifically grounded, then I suppose it failed because the two are mutually exclusive.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Metalix Knightmare said:
Ouroboros said:
Oh please PLEASE stop trying to "talk science" here. Two things ok?

A: You can have a transparent solar cells, you can do a lot of things with color and solar energy conversion.

B: THERE IS NO REAL SCIENCE IN MGS!!!! It's all torrid bullshit. Enjoy the games or don't, but there is never anything more than, "Because Magic" at the core.

Or are you going to explain to me how a parasite lets you pull a rifle out of the palm of your fucking hand?
I'm still wondering about the robot man stopping the battleship. How strong he is isn't the question here, it's all a matter of weight ratios. A 1000 pound cyborg, cannot stop a multiple hundreds of thousands of tons battleship.

And yet somehow it's the sexy plant chameleon sniper that draws all the ire of the "it's too ridiculous!" crowd.
I criticize that plenty too, also raiden's stupid looking cyborg chin that makes him look like he has an overbite.

The difference, other than the fact this is a thread specifically about Quiet and not Raiden, is that noone comes in and calls me a prude or tries way to hard to justify my nitpicking when I'm not talking about Quiet, or the BB corps, etc. etc.

When I talk about that other stuff people don't create threads asking me what the big deal is about Raiden.

I'd be happy to tell you all the shit MGS 4 does that annoys me if you want to talk about that, but this thread was created to talk about Quiet, so that's what we are all talking about.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
Metalix Knightmare said:
Actually, I'd say the tiny, armless, Robot person stopping the giant battleship and not dying is the more obvious example, but a lot of people here tend to get offended by the very idea of sexy women so who am I to argue?
Hell of a strawman you've built there. Takes talent. I congratulate you.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Well to me I feel Quiet is desperately needed in MGS because "fanart" of the metal gear games is almost predominately "Y/Y" if you know what I mean which is a concequences of the series being a sausage fest at times.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Jake Martinez said:
No, unfortunately, we can't. I personally like her character design. I don't find anything stupid about it at all.
Than I guess you missed the point completely. Nothing wrong in finding her cool, sexy, digging her yoga moves and so on; But a semi-naked mercenary is totally stupid, completely nonsensical stuff, it is indeed part of the MGS antics.

I love that - but it is very dumb.

KayeFaye

Jul 28, 2015
Because the design is silly. Well, that's why I don't like it. It's silly. It's also not really my definition of sexy, because I like more teasing designs and I also don't think "dumb" is sexy and a sniper, or any soldier really, wearing little to no ballistic protection is dumb. Shame because other aspects of her design are quite nice, I especially like her eyes. I've always liked women with powerful, piercing eyes. Her hair is nice too.

But that's all just me and I'm not really sure if I'm the best person to speak out on the matter. Despite having been a gamer for nearly all 35 years of my life, I'm only just now dipping my toes into the gaming community and I've found myself in a political warzone and I'm not sure where I want to set up camp yet. On one hand, I'm a minority as a Lesbian woman in her 30s who *does* understand the point of having feminism in games and feel that there are those in the community who are clearly sexist assholes but on the other hand I'm quite open minded and sex positive and am tired of hearing feminists who act like men (And Lesbians. Seriously I've had feminists come down on me for being sexist because I'm sexually attracted to women. LOGICS) aren't allowed to have any sexual fantasies at all because sexual escapism is bad and only leads to objectifying women, not to mention while there are a lot of hooting sexist assholes in the community I've found more level headed guys that just want to have a good time than anything. *shrug*

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Gundam GP01 said:
Well again, now you're just nitpicking exact scientific accuracy of a game series that has psychics, ghosts, a man that fights with bees, a nanomachine vampire, and a cyborg ninja that can throw around multiple 14 foot tall cow mecha like they were nothing simply by break-dancing.
None of those exist in real life. Photosynthesis does and we understand how it works.

Which is why "Nanomachines, Son" and "because it makes my willy feel good" are both better explanations! :p

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Don Incognito said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Actually, I'd say the tiny, armless, Robot person stopping the giant battleship and not dying is the more obvious example, but a lot of people here tend to get offended by the very idea of sexy women so who am I to argue?
Hell of a strawman you've built there. Takes talent. I congratulate you.
You call it a strawman, I call it like I see it. No one gave an inkling of a crap about the stupidity in this series and it's magic science for god knows how many games now, but the moment it involves a scantily clad woman everybody just loses their minds at "how stupid it is".

Mental Cosmas

Jul 23, 2012
I?ll throw in my personal opinion on the subject. For starters, as far as the tweets are concerned, why not both?

Everyone seems to think that Kojima was "defending" his action in making Quiet erotic by saying we?ll feel sorry for her, or backpedalling from saying he made her more "erotic" for cosplaying purposes, why is that? Is it possible he wanted to do it for both reasons? Calling his reasoning an ?excuse? makes it sound like he was defending his decision, frankly I think it?s more likely he simply misjudged people?s reaction to the story-related reason behind it, and I think it?s a rather cynical and pessimistic view from the people who say "at least ADMIT to it", seriously if you?re going to take a tweet seriously, take them all, he damn well did.

That he wanted to give it a reason as well like he does with most aspects of the game doesn?t mean that wasn?t his desire. Not to mention a character can be fanservice AND have an interesting character without being devalued, look at Eva (admittedly Eva had a far more organic merging of the two aspects, but you better believe people got fanservice out of her).

Many aspects of Metal Gear have had thinly veiled reasons one either fools themselves into believing or simply accepts to get to the awesome aesthetics. Take Sahelanthropus, it is given a reason by Huey why it is a bipedal war mech despite the mountain of flaws such a design would add waaaay outnumbering any possible strengths. Suspension of disbelief, and it looks damn cool in my opinion. I understand in some cases no answer may actually be stronger than a handwave one (is there any explanation for the exploding rock thing it does?), but they both have a place in stories.

Honestly I?m not a fan of Quiet?s outfit, apart from maybe the torn leggings being a nice touch as I can imagine them getting damaged from speed-running through underbrush. I certainly wouldn?t call it ?boring? though, gives a distinct silhouette. I mean, people are saying the XOF uniform looks good? Its dull grey military garb, *yaaaawn*. Give me something like Mantis' bondage suit and gasmask or Ocelot's cowboy outfit with a shotgun bandolier anyday (no offense meant, that?s my personal opinion and I understand some people might really like the look, I?m just being a tosser giving a counter-opinion here). That being said, I've heard some design choices from people against the outfit I honestly do think would look cooler (and probably sexier, but ho hum).

Honestly, I think it?s mostly just rotten timing, fanservice and female characters in general are a hot-button topic right now, and it?s a lot easier to suspend your disbelief for things you actually like or don?t think about too much. I suspect an engineer might struggle believing Sahelanthropus' design more than someone else. Is it a bad outfit? Well, I?m sure there?s an audience who enjoy it at the very least, and I wish I was a part of it. But aahh well.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
inu-kun said:
Might be off-topic, but I've been a week ago to a con, and it had some Mass Effect actors and for some reason they did a shitty snide remark at MGS5's Quiet while saying how Jack is better (because they live in a world that Mass Effect has better writing and characters than a Kojima game), and people cheered, isn't Jack just as bad character for wearing what amounts for a belt for no reason?
One major difference is Jack was a violent rebel who was pretty much doing it to reclaim what little agency she had. That and the camera didn't exactly ogle at her (not that bioware are immune to that, we all remember the ass shots of miranda. Just Jack was spared of this).

Now look at quiet. She's forced into this. She's victimized because of this. We're told that it's basically "she wears clothes, she dies" (even though there are unlocks that are full body suits, but whatever, unlocks. Guess they are non-canon). It's in no way empowering to her, but rather is quite the opposite.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
It'd be the same as Big Boss constantly shoving his giant bulg in the camera, because look at what huge dick he has. No seriously, look, look, it's so floppy and tied to the laws of gravity.
This is just beautiful.

Never change Shinji. Never change.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
Gundam GP01 said:
So basically; "Why is quiet half naked literally all of the time?" "parasites."
Except that, too, falls down on its face. Fine, she has parasites. Having her torso and abdomen--home to all of her vital organs--exposed, while covering her legs and one arm, still defies all logic.

If she breathes through her skin, then the exposed surface area is what is important. As a rough estimate, the surface area of your torso is roughly equal to one of your legs, or both of your arms.

It would make much, much, much more logical sense for her torso to be covered with body armor, leaving both of her legs exposed. Her vital organs would be protected, AND she'd be able to "breath" better.

Again, the lack of internal consistency is the problem.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
... I mean, technically within the lore, it's entirely possible for her to just be entirely naked.

She doesn't actually need clothes for anything besides modesty, something she seemingly doesn't much care about.

Just putting it out there.