Why are so many of you guys unemployed?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Dogstile said:
Don't tell them that, more people on benefits who don't need to be on benefits isn't an idea solution.
and who doesn't need to be on benefits? people who are suffering hardship? oh wait

Blood Brain Barrier said:
as much as it pains me to say I might actually agree with you here...even if we take away how overstated the narrative is...I care more about providing a safety net for people than I do about denying "bludgers" a "free ride" I remember someone I know once said people on centerlink should have mandatory drug tests...fuck'n A...should they also have visits from an assessor once a week to check the cleanliness of their home? to make sure they aren't playing too many videogames or watching too much anime? should there be an approved list of activities to do in ones spare time? a ban on rap music because it perpetuates a counter productive lifestyle?

they wanna live like that that's their prerogative

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Dogstile said:
Blood Brain Barrier said:
I've had a broken leg for the past month and will do for several months more. Before that I was in study.

But I notice no one is dealing with the issue here - which is your fear. You have a computer or internet and speak English, so most likely you're a westerner. Most people here are from the US, UK, Europe or Australia. To my knowledge no one has recently died of starvation or cold there, and you can always get financial help from your government. No need to worry, you'll be fine. Not getting a job is hardly the worst thing in the world, and at least you'll have time for other things you may want to do.
Don't tell them that, more people on benefits who don't need to be on benefits isn't an idea solution.
People wanting to be on benefits is an insidious myth. Check out the rates of depression/anxiety/suicide* of those people compared with the working population. Mostly due to them being ridiculed, alienated, targeted and attacked in a way that doesn't help them at all. What it does help is politicians and resentful workers to have a scapegoat for pretty much everything, and to keep the less fortunate down in the dirt where they can't compete for your job.

*2-3 times for the unemployed vs the employed: http://jech.bmj.com/content/57/8/594.full

I'll just add that our attitude towards non-wage earners is probably worse than towards women, the disabled and racial minorities combined. It's in the vicinity of criminals, and it shouldn't be.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
I'm a Game Developer/Artist in Australia, so the answer is simple: No studios = no jobs. But that's simplifying the problem, there are studios are, in fact I live where most of them are (Melbourne). However 3 points; Point #1, these are often small indie studios, #2 You have to be at the top of the pile to work at one of the big studios left (2K I think) and lastly #3 to work abroad I'd have to be an exceedingly talented and work within my own industry for a number of years.

Whilst I'm currently self employed, I still earn bubkiss, and I'm very thankful to my countries welfare system that keeps me off a park bench.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I'm lucky that I have a small business doing PC repair/troubleshooting and some home networking stuff but I still need extra income since my business dropped off a ton in 2008 and hasn't picked up enough to meet the bills properly. So funny thing is that however many times I've applied for any PC Tech job (15 years experience over a multitude of fields) I've been rejected because I've either "not enough experience" (because apparently being a freelance self-taught contractor doesn't count) or I'm "overqualified" for the position. Both those reasons baffle the everloving crap out of me. Its like they don't actually want to hire a competent worker who knows their shit and has previously held an MCSE... of course they probably have no clue what an MCSE is or how insanely difficult it is to actually get one.
As someone who has been self employed for the last 8 years I get this too. I've been told that claiming "self employed" is the same as being "unemployed" by many people when reviewing an application. And that others don't want to hire people who have been running their own business because they are afraid they'll respond poorly to having to work for someone else after having been the one in charge.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
CriminalScum said:
Military's always hiring in America, if you're healthy and in decent shape.
I'm gonna throw my two cents in here. I am a former Navy recruiter who will be leaving the military(of my own accord) in a few months.

For some people, the Military is a great way to get started. Barring getting killed or injured in combat(which is heavily skewed towards certain jobs/branches ie. Infantry), if do a single enlistment, you'll get out with GI Bill benefits, some marketable job skills(though some will have much more marketable skills then others), a chance to get a feel for different jobs and about 4-5 years worth of work experience. At best, you'll love it and stay in for 20, get a retirement pension, healthcare and will have a decent jumping off point to get another job.

However, The military isn't for everyone. A lot of Americans just plain don't qualify(70% of young people) and right now it's almost impossible to get waivers for anything. Most of the branches are trying to downside due to budget cuts. It's quite possible to be there and realize you hate it. The military doesn't allow you to quit, so being stuck(literally) in a job you hate is pretty terrible.

SgtFlaman

Oct 15, 2007
sky14kemea said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
I'm lucky that I have a small business doing PC repair/troubleshooting and some home networking stuff but I still need extra income since my business dropped off a ton in 2008 and hasn't picked up enough to meet the bills properly. So funny thing is that however many times I've applied for any PC Tech job (15 years experience over a multitude of fields) I've been rejected because I've either "not enough experience" (because apparently being a freelance self-taught contractor doesn't count) or I'm "overqualified" for the position. Both those reasons baffle the everloving crap out of me. Its like they don't actually want to hire a competent worker who knows their shit and has previously held an MCSE... of course they probably have no clue what an MCSE is or how insanely difficult it is to actually get one.
I hate that "overqualified" bullcrap too.

Surely having someone who knows too much is better than someone who doesn't know enough?!
Someone who knows too much often wants more money, making them an unappealing candidate.

I don't have anything more than my A+ which I've recently renewed for the second time and haven't done anything with it since obtaining it.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Dalisclock said:
CriminalScum said:
Military's always hiring in America, if you're healthy and in decent shape.
I'm gonna throw my two cents in here. I am a former Navy recruiter who will be leaving the military(of my own accord) in a few months.

For some people, the Military is a great way to get started. Barring getting killed or injured in combat(which is heavily skewed towards certain jobs/branches ie. Infantry), if do a single enlistment, you'll get out with GI Bill benefits, some marketable job skills(though some will have much more marketable skills then others), a chance to get a feel for different jobs and about 4-5 years worth of work experience. At best, you'll love it and stay in for 20, get a retirement pension, healthcare and will have a decent jumping off point to get another job.

However, The military isn't for everyone. A lot of Americans just plain don't qualify(70% of young people) and right now it's almost impossible to get waivers for anything. Most of the branches are trying to downside due to budget cuts. It's quite possible to be there and realize you hate it. The military doesn't allow you to quit, so being stuck(literally) in a job you hate is pretty terrible.
As a social worker, I've gotten quite a few kids and young adults into the military, and I will agree with this, the military is not for everyone, we are well past the years of the height of the Iraq war where recruiting favored getting bodies and numbers over standards. The national guard is a decent option and looks good on a resume for those who are qualified for the military but don't want to do the full commitment of the full military, the national guard also has a number of benefits for job skills training, and if you are working another job, they are legally required to protect your job if you are deployed.

For American job seekers, I would recommend temp agencies if you are trapped in that "need experience to get experience" conundrum, usually even the untrained can get a temp job which will give experience for basic level work. That doesn't help with college graduates looking for jobs in their field, but for college students almost all accredited colleges will offer internships and paid research positions depending on your major, it's a long involved process in some cases, but worth it in getting a leg up after graduation.

There are a lot of other resources out there, but a lot of them require flexibility, and I know some of those options won't work for people with disabilities or certain desires or limitations, but if anyone in this thread is interested, I would be happy to elaborate to the best of my ability, I'm hardly a world class expert, but a major part of my career is helping people find work, and I'm not always successful, but I've managed to find probably a couple hundred jobs for people over the years.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I don't have a job because I can't balance study, work, and a social life, also I'm a lazy, anxious, depressed shit.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I'm irresponsible, lazy, never learned how to drive & therefore bus/carpool-dependent, dysclaculia, can't do monotonous things day after day without turning into a megabitch, cannot work without music, poor facial recognition skills, no sense of time, crack under strict deadlines, blunt, inappropriate sense of humor, very open, can barely lift 5lb for more than a few seconds, & have been told I'm "intimidating" despite being a very short woman.

Jesterscup

Sep 9, 2014
I've no degree..... I don't drive either....

At 12 I got a job as a paper boy, by 13 I was doing 2-3 peoples rounds. At 16 I started working as a cleaner in a supermarket, that holidays I managed to get a temp job fixing mistakes at the mobile phone factory ( £10 p/h no tax! ). The money was pretty good despite most of it being taken by my parents to buy drugs.

At 17 I started uni, but due to psychological issues I dropped out and started cleaning dishes as a kitchen porter, over time I became a chef.

In 2000 Due to illness ( I'd had the shingles, and due to stress it had recurred), I'd been unemployed for about 6 months, and I got on a training course to do an MCSE, from this I got a work placement at the place ( a friend on the same course got recommended by me, and works there to this day). After the placement I moved Down to London. The next (almost) ten years were temp jobs, some good ( server migrations ) , some bad ( cleaning hospital toilets). During this time I taught myself php/mysql/css etc. in 2008 I got my first 'proper' gig as a web developer, and I'm still doing that.

Not having a job and seeking one can be pretty demoralising, the last 2 years was contract work, and while it paid well ( on paper £50,000 p/a ) your next job pretty much relied on what you were doing in your last job. I spent 6 months without a role in 2013, 3 months in 2014 due to bad choices of contracts.

If you really want a job, even a shitty one it's a full time job in itself, between contracts I would work 10-12 hours a day, often applying for 10-15 roles per day. Back in my kitchen porter days when I was unemployed, my days were spent on the streets, C.V. in hand going shop to shop. Sometimes a 'shitty' job can be awesome, I worked for 6 months nightshift in a bookstore, I didn't have to talk or interact with anyone, and got to spend all day with my ( then a toddler) first child. Being a cleaner and a kitchen porter were similar, the work wasn't that hard ( though physical ) and interaction was kept to a minimum.

I'd really recommend temping to people, firstly a good relationship with an agency, and you'll always be in demand, secondly if you seem motivated & have a good attitude often places will want to keep you on.

Lastly, Don't let the lack of a job stop you from doing what motivates you. I got my first web dev gig from slaving away for 3 years on a portfolio, and got friends their first gig. Do what you are passionate about, and look around for events in your area for those with similar interests. After grinding away at code for 15 years I' really over it now, so my spare-time is spent being a maker, preparing for performances etc, Ive no illusion that either of these things will make enough money for a while to allow me to leave this field, but in a year, or two I'll get to move on and do something that once again fills me with passion.

Not bad for a kid with huge psychological issues, from a single-parent, council estate, benefits dependant, drug addicted family eh?

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Because I graduated my Education Degree in a year where everyone else also did.

There are over 40,000 unemployed, fully-qualified teachers in NSW alone. I am one of them.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
I recently quit my job to go back to uni. I gave my boss the middle finger after I had saved up enough to survive without full time work to get more postgrad stuff to stick on my resume. It's great! Being unemployed is fantastic, assuming you have money. Kind of sucks when you don't, or alternatively you have lots of money, but a lot of debt, also.

Drake the Dragonheart

The All-American Dragon.
Aug 14, 2008
So I fill my pre-employment paper work for the ambulance service next week. Volunteer basis, but that counts as experience at least.