Why are so many people here angry?

P. K. Qu'est Que Ce

Feb 25, 2016
What I'm figuring out is that there are a few really crazy people, but once you ignore them your experience improves immediately. Maybe some people don't do that on principle, and get angry instead. I still think that if this is your idea of "angry", you need to spend a day on 4chan or 10 minutes in a CoD lobby. I lost to someone in CoD the other day... LOST... and they still called me a "mouthbreathing hyper ****** cockscucker fuckboy". It was a good match, only a few kills apart, and they WON and that was their reaction.

Now that is angry.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
The angry people are louder, is all. A few of my favorite old posters on here are still around, but they rarely post anymore specifically because they weren't the type of people who wouldn't want to engage in constant negativity.

There are some obvious bad eggs though, and if you're not sure who then people with blatantly inflammatory avatars are probably a good place to start (cue a bunch of people wondering what would actually constitute an inflammatory avatar).

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Sarge034 said:
I think it has to do with the site dying. Used to be a place with really good and unbiased news, a variety of content, and a close knit casual atmosphere. Now, well, with how things have been going at the top it's killed the site. Click bait and misinformation, or actual glaringly wrong information, is the norm. Some people care enough to point that out, others just go with it. This difference in ideology causes friction. The same way that any ideological differences cause friction when people are too set in their ways to try and see things from a different point of view.

So the short answer is people are angry here because very few people are actually here to talk. They just want everyone to agree with them.
I don't know if it's actually that second bit at the bottom or not. Even with people I've disagreed with, while everywhere has it's assholes, the disagreements tend to be respectful. Back when I used to be active on the DCUO game Forum, even if you brought out indisputable facts and numbers, if it wasn't the popular opinion you were the scum of the earth.

As per the site dying, there's been a lot less to keep me engaged personally. It's mostly just to see if there is anything interesting happening. I really mostly come back excited for the next Critical Miss or EDA.

Like a lot of people said Gamergate split the site in half, and even earlier than that Jim Sterling and Bob Chipman left. Even if you weren't a fan of them, they and Yahtzee were basically the three biggest things this site had so they had a huge draw. Then as you said, the reporting has gotten sloppy. There's a lot more "list" pieces here as opposed to analysis pieces. And the lists aren't quite what they used to be either. Lisa Foiles made them more, I don't know what word to use but I'm going to go with energetic. No Right Answer was an interesting take on debates. Nothing has really filled those voids since and I feel the Escapist is over compensating, having more of those articles instead of fewer, higher quality ones.

TL;DR: The Escapist seems to be losing the analysis aspect and imaginative aspect that drew many, myself included, here in the first place and is relying on rehashed news that is sometimes days late. It's becoming just another brick in the wall.

EDIT: Just looking at the home screen now there are currently 5 list articles on the home page alone. I hadn't even realized it was that bad until now.

Actually I missed one. There's 6. Count Von Count would be having a field day right now.

Actually it's 7 D:

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
The old standby is "if you aren't angry, then you aren't paying attention."

If you truly have nothing to be angry about then I guess you have 99.99999% of the rest of us beat, what with your immortality, endless wealth, and freedom from stupid people.

Dissatisfaction is what drives improvement. Perfection is impossible, but if you desire a better X you need to start by recognizing why X bothers you before you can address it. Depending on your level of dissatisfaction and the means you have to deal with it you might end up pretty angry and view the simple act of typing on a keyboard for countless people to read as being a very cheap form of transference.

aka welcome to the internet, flame shields are available in the lobby.