Why are there no funny female comedians?

Psychedeliasmith

Jan 1, 2008
I'm amazed Jo Brand has so much love - rightly so, though. The most recent thing she did, with Vicky Pepperdine, was a sitcom set in a female geriatric ward, and was one of the best things I've seen in years. Ava Vidal (an ex-prison guard) and Sarah Millican (went into comedy after her therapist kept laughing at her) are both great fun. Sandi Toksvig and Sue Perkins are utterly wonderful, too.

I think that a lot of funny women express themselves as writers, or in other media, rather than standup. Laura Solon is fantastic but works almost entirely on the radio. Margaret Atwood's work, while not being comedy, always has a very strong and distinctly wry humour. And Nicola Barker's work is hilarious.

There's a series of interviews that Dawn French did called 'Girls Who Do Comedy' that's well worth a look - she interviews mostly UK comedians about their motives and whatnot. One thing that kept coming back about their childhood was simply 'boys don't date funny girls.'

Willis_D

May 27, 2009
I'm going to say that while in general I find more funny men than women comedians, there are some very good female ones. For example, Shappi Corsandi (pretty certain that that is not spelled right), is very funny.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Neosage said:
Jo brand [link]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya3CZBY6dO0[/link]
Damn you ninja!

She was the first to come to my mind but I honestly can't think of any others right now.

DeManix

Jun 7, 2010
I've always found that female stand-up comedians almost exclusively talk about being a woman, the same way that foreign stand-up comedians go on and on about being foreign. Once you've seen one, you've seen them all, which makes them less funny.

Muramasa89

Jun 19, 2010
I don't feel the ones I've seen have much going for them. They even talk about their problems while trying comedy... However Jo Brand is one of the few to make me laugh.

Women don't need to be funny. They expect that in a man moreso than we do in them, so as a result women just don't bother, I figure.

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
Though a woman myself, I actually cannot stand the majority of female comedians. Annoying as hell. Either they only like to focus on specific 'female' topics (well done, you're truly proving that we have the mental capacity to think past cooking and shoes /sarcasm), or I get the impression from a few of them (Lucy Porter springs to mind) that they just don't want to be there -- some of them sound so timid and withdrawn you wonder what they're doing on stage in the first place, and as a result, the jokes suffer for it. Without being sexist, the men do, in general, seem to have a larger variety of things to joke about, and do so with more enthusiasm, bite, whatever you want to call it. :p

The only gals I like are Jo Brand, Shappi Khorsandi, and Sue Perkins. Occassionally Joan Rivers.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
with that tall black chick around... It kidn of turned me off them permanently.

That sounded racist and sexist... I just couldn't come up with her name so described her. I don't think she's very good.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Well, there's Wanda Sykes and Lisa Lampanelli.They're pretty freakin' funny. I'm guessing the lack of female comedians is due to the amount of females that actually try to be comedians. It's a mostly male dominated performance art.

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
They're too busy making sandwiches to write jokes.

No but seriously, the way I see it, there are so few women comedians that whenever one gets a place on TV or at a well-known comedy venue, they feel the need to address women's issues in all their jokes. The result is they either do jokes based around situations that only a woman would find herself in, or they do a bunch of jokes that shove feminism down your throat, both of which alienates the male audience. Also, as a chick I find it obnoxious that female comedians assume I'll relate to jokes about high heels and girl power just because I have a vagina.

On the other hand, there are so many male comedians they've become the norm and therefore almost asexual, freeing them to pursue areas of comedy that are completely unrelated to gender.

Women who are funny almost never address the fact that they are women.

superpandaman said:
What about Sarah Silverman or Ellen
Sarah Silverman is the least funny person alive, male or female. Her TV show is f*cking retarded. Her and Jon Dore. Damn.

bleh002

Jan 8, 2010
I'm a fan of Elvira Kurt, Nikki Payne, Erica Sigurdson and Liz Feldman. Three of them are Canadian, so you may not know them.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
PatientGrasshopper said:
OK to be honest there are a few, like Wanda Sykes, but very few. It seems men dominate the comedy world why is this?
There are, but women don't tend to laugh at other women.

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
Idlemessiah said:
Neosage said:
Damn you ninja!

She was the first to come to my mind but I honestly can't think of any others right now.

.... I ninja'd you by more than a year....

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
Neosage said:
Idlemessiah said:
Neosage said:
Damn you ninja!

.... I ninja'd you by more than a year....
I just looked through the timestamps and it seems like this thread had been necroed a few times since Dec 28th 2008 =/ Dayem says I.

Also still cannot think of another funny woman other than Brand.