Why aren't you sick of Marvel Movies yet?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Ezekiel said:
ckriley said:
However, Die Hard has another sequel in the works, which kind of negates the entirety of your argument.
The point I'm making is that no studio today would produce a movie like Die Hard if it weren't already an established IP. They're making more because they know there's money in the IP. But if the film never existed and someone came to Fox with the screenplay, they'd tell him to get lost. Same with The Matrix and many others. It's all about superheroes now.

I intentionally omitted the comic book part of your post because I was talking about superheroes. I have no problem with comic books, but superheroes are mostly pretty lame.
If I see the top grossing movies of the last couple years, I find stuff like The Martian, The Revenant, San Andreas, Kingsman, Spy, Ghostbusters, The Legend of Tarzan, Godzilla, Lucy... so I think the genre of action/adventure is pretty safe without resorting to superheroes or long franchises.

If your point is that "original action movies" are not being made recently, I think John Wick, Fury Road, The Nice Guys, Blood Father, U.N.C.L.E., The Raid, Pacific Rim, Edge of Tomorrow, Elisium, or The Accountant are decent enough examples that the genre is still a thing. Sure, some of them are relatively smaller in scope, but the same could be said of Terminator or Die Hard... they exploded into larger than life franchises, but without hindsight most of them started as rather humble, run of the mill action movies.

You should also remember that from your original examples ("Aliens-type movies or Mad Max or African Queens or Terminator or Die Hard"), most of them had remakes, reimaginings or straight up sequels upcoming or released in recent years, so to say no one pays attention to them now that we have comics is biased, to say the least...

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
They're comic book movies. Comics are, generally speaking, lighthearted formulaic adventure romps. Guess what. That's all the Marvel movies are. They aren't highbrow art. They're not deep. They're only sometimes memorable. Just like the source material. Might as well ask why people like comics.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
I was originally like you on this point. While I have not seen any of the Netflix stuff, I did watch Agents of SHIELD for the first three seasons. But after the third season, I stopped for several reasons. One of the big ones was what you're saying: the show had pretty much ZERO crossover with the movies. How cool would it have been to see the cast from SHIELD, or even just Agent Coulson, show up for a brief appearance on the bridge of that carrier in Age of Ultron? But as it stands, Marvel seems very happy to keep that world out of the movies, so I kind of lost interest.

But then I sat and thought about it. How confused would people who don't watch the TV show be if Coulson just showed up? "Wait, didn't he die in the other film?"
"Yeah, but the TV show explains why he's back."
"...I have to watch a whole show now?"
You're over thinking it, I recon if Colson did show up in any of the movies it would be explained away in a one line flippant off the cuff remark about nope I am back from the dead but chances are with Tony's resource he probabaly already knows he's alive, basically a movie would explain him returning very easily and very quickly and because it's Marvel it would just work.

As for burnout or getting tired the real test will be the true end of this first phase of movies, what happens after Infinity Wars when we will loose some of the foundation heroes we know and love, Ironman, Cap and no doubt Thor will be replaced. The reason why a lot of folk have stuck with it is because we want to see what happens to these guys, the three heroes that laid the foundations for not just the Marvel CU but this whole desperate new idea of trying to create a CU in any and all movies.

Don'tDeadOpenInside

Mar 18, 2017
To be fair it's quite amazing that I haven't got bored of them yet, what with Marvel carpet bombing the industry like they have. But the thing is, like others have said, they're not terrible films. Every one of them seems to satisfy the bare essentials of being somewhat entertaining, and the average is better than that.

I actually think they've moved the measure stick a bit. No, not that measure. Not the top measure. It's the average measure. It's like your average light action flick used to be a three star film, and now it's a three-and-a-half star film, maybe. They've raised the standard that little bit on what you expect from a formulaic lowest-common-denominator action flick. That's commendable, to be honest. Not everything has to be top class from an artistic standpoint.

Derryck

Nov 25, 2016
I am totally sick of them and I can't imagine why someone can still enjoy the 100th rehash of the same plot.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Derryck said:
I am totally sick of them and I can't imagine why someone can still enjoy the 100th rehash of the same plot.
Oh, absolutely, I'm totes sick of the mainstream narrative of a rejection of materialism and ego during a dimension warping journey of self-discovery with a phenomenal, thematically relevant set-piece finale...

Those other 99 times really took the edge off of Doctor Strange.

(I posted in this thread before, but after having seen/bought Doctor Strange since, I'd add that to the list of superb MCU entries, and an example of the kind of filmmaking that - on this scale and in a genre setting - quite frankly no one else is doing. long may they continue)

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'm not. Mainly because the ones I've seen so far are fun and enjoyable. And at least they aren't like DC's recent cinematic output...

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
I am not going to lie and say that they are good movies as a rule. Sure there may have been a gem or two in there, but otherwise they are a perfectly normal set of Summer/Winter blockbusters in my opinion. The average movie that hits my Theater I have absolutely zero interest in watching (and less in paying to watch), but the marvel films at least represent a certain level of professionalism (I am shying away from saying quality here) that prevents the movie from being obviously "bad" (outside of a few out layers like Iron Man 3). They are just there, they are familiar, and they give me a movie about some of my childhood heroes (though often with half of the story either wrong or mixed up, but that is just cinema in my experience) that has a ton of action and occasionally manages to tell an interesting or (more commonly) passable story.

Meanwhile I've seen 5 or 6 action films over the past 3 years that are just complete crap and maybe 1 or 2 that are actually "GOOD". I think that most of us has to face the fact that hollywood is just out of ideas and needs to mine products like marvel and DC comics for stories. Then rather than just leaving them alone at their core (I mean I know that the overall quality of a comic book story is crap in general, not to mention the reasoning they typically give), they try to rewrite them using other parts of the character's story and some parts that are completely unrelated, mix it all together and press out the shiniest turd we will get this year.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
On one hand I am fucking bored of superheroes, but on the other I like they've now gotten to the point where they have exhausted all the most famous superheroes and now have to try out the weird, interesting ones like Strange, Wonder Woman and Black Panther. I actually really liked Strange and it was the last Marvel movie I had watched in ages, so I'm hoping if I'm super selective and pick the movies with concepts that force imaginative writing, I won't get completely fatigued.

But fuck Iron Man. How many times can they retell the Billionaire-has-personality-issues-and-needs-to-get-his-head-straight-and-build-a-better-iron-man-suit-to-fight-off-both-the-scary-"exotic"-foreign-villain-and-the-greedy-American-arms-dealer-with-a-grudge plot?