WHY can't I just PLAY the game I BOUGHT?!

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
I recently bought Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition for steam, but I can't run the game because it has problems with connecting to Games for Windows Live. I don't have GFWL and have zero interest in it. When I buy a game on steam I should be able to run it on steam without this BS about needing GFWL for "authentication purposes". Why do I need something else to "authenticate" when I BOUGHT THE FREAKING GAME FROM STEAM?!

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
If this bothers you (as it really should), I'd advise against buying anything from Ubisoft on Steam as well. Same bullshit with their uPlay "feature."

Granted, I'd also generally advise against buying anything from Ubisoft anyway.

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Just make an offline/local GFWL account and be done with it. You don't have to authenticate anything.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Hey good news, they said they're removing the GFWL requirement around this month and relying solely on steam for DRM. I bought DS a while ago and I haven't started playing, waiting on them to remove GFWL as well.

Here's a link: http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/619568794059742135/

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Keoul said:
Hey good news, they said they're removing the GFWL requirement around this month and relying solely on steam for DRM. I bought DS a while ago and I haven't started playing, waiting on them to remove GFWL as well.

Here's a link: http://steamcommunity.com/app/211420/discussions/0/619568794059742135/
Thanks, I'll wait too

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Well before buying a game I suggest looking over the steam page. It says on the page that that specific DRM is there.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Getting Dark Souls running was one of the more aggravating experiences I've had in the last 10-15 years of PC Gaming. If you think the GFWL element was frustrating, wait until you have to get DSFix calibrated and your controller working properly.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
WaderiAAA said:
I recently bought Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition for steam, but I can't run the game because it has problems with connecting to Games for Windows Live. I don't have GFWL and have zero interest in it. When I buy a game on steam I should be able to run it on steam without this BS about needing GFWL for "authentication purposes". Why do I need something else to "authenticate" when I BOUGHT THE FREAKING GAME FROM STEAM?!
You haven't bought a game. You've purchased a service. A service which has certain requirements to run. Requirements which were noted in your purchase agreement. The company's responsibilities are outlined in the purchase agreement (to one degree or another), and one of those requirements is GFWL.

As this is obviously causing you a noticeable amount of difficulty, perhaps you should contact the company and inform them that if they do not provide more reasonable requirements to run their service in the future that you will not be purchasing any of their future services until they do provide requirements that are more reasonable to yourself? =If you do this, and other users do this, companies will begin to stop charging customers for services and get back to selling them games.

Wouldn't that be awesome?

ninja666

May 17, 2014
Tono Makt said:
As this is obviously causing you a noticeable amount of difficulty, perhaps you should contact the company and inform them that if they do not provide more reasonable requirements to run their service in the future that you will not be purchasing any of their future services until they do provide requirements that are more reasonable to yourself? =If you do this, and other users do this, companies will begin to stop charging customers for services and get back to selling them games. Wouldn't that be awesome?
Except it wouldn't have worked because people are idiots and won't fight for it because they like being spoonfed with all the "accessibility" of such services.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
ninja666 said:
Tono Makt said:
As this is obviously causing you a noticeable amount of difficulty, perhaps you should contact the company and inform them that if they do not provide more reasonable requirements to run their service in the future that you will not be purchasing any of their future services until they do provide requirements that are more reasonable to yourself? =If you do this, and other users do this, companies will begin to stop charging customers for services and get back to selling them games. Wouldn't that be awesome?
Except it wouldn't have worked because people are idiots and won't fight for it because they like being spoonfed with all the "accessibility" of such services.
I can't believe how many people willingly jump through more and more hoop's for less and less amount of game.
Less game that is, with Mini-expansions's coming out more and more often, even on day one and having to pay more in relation to old-time patches and expansions.

A greedy corporations aim is to maximize the amount of money they can get from you for the least amount of work.
They would happily rent out access to games you bought per hour.
There is a point where the battle should be fought in my opinion, and that is control.
After buying the game, do you have control over it or do the companies?
Can you play it when you want to or do you have to beg the company for access to a game you bought?

I take a stand and avoid games with Online Activation.

Fluff in itself is okay but when used to obscure the line it's disheartening to see people swallow it.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
Give it some time, its migrating to steamworks sometime this month. YES GFWL is HORRIBLE and I'm glad its going away. You have every right to be angry with not being able to play right now. But keep any eye on the news for when it does finally migrate completely to steam, as it is indeed a phenomenal game (not without its flaws) that deserves a chance.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Tono Makt said:
You haven't bought a game. You've purchased a service. A service which has certain requirements to run. Requirements which were noted in your purchase agreement. The company's responsibilities are outlined in the purchase agreement (to one degree or another), and one of those requirements is GFWL.
Gotta love the attempt by companies to redefine games from 'product' to 'service'...

Because they don't want to deal with the downsides of something being a 'product' so they try and tell people it's a 'service' instead (to get the benefits to them of calling something a service).

Yet if you called them out on that, and actually demanded any of the things implied by it being a 'service' and not a 'product', you'd see they don't want to provide it as a service at all...

What they want, in fact, is to shirk as many of their responsibilities towards consumers as possible. They already get out of pretty much all the consumer protection laws covering most products... Have weaseled their way out of needing to accept 'first sale doctrine' (and act all butthurt about anyone that dares make use of their right to re-sell something they own)

So basically, they want all the benefits of calling something a product, all the benefits of calling it a service, and none of the responsibilities of either.

Aren't corporations fun? XD

shiaramoon

LRR Stalkin'
Feb 1, 2011
WaderiAAA said:
I had the same problem, try turning off your firewall and see if that fixes it. It only needs to log into the service once, then you can just play in offline mode after that. I agree that the GFWL thing is completely unnecessary and idiotic, but this is a simple workaround that should be able to get you playing the game.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
In short:

In long:

Companies still haven't come to terms with the fact that they're spending more on means to fuck their customers than they're losing to the few willing to fuck them out of a sale.

Or, in other words...

It's the ciiiircle of DRM liiiiiiiiiife.

And it screeeeeeews us alllllllllll.