Why can't I not like a form of music?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
LetalisK said:
DrgoFx said:
As I've stated to one of my friends, Dubstep is the easiest form of music to make but the hardest to make appealing, let alone amazing. Once you realize that most of dubstep is done by talentless kids in their basements, you can look for much better forms of it. But as I said, it's difficult to make it sound good. Many people don't have the talent. I've only heard roughly 2 or 3 really AMAZING dubstep songs.
I call bullshit. Name 'em or it didn't happen.
Stand back Bitches, Tom Dovak's got this shit covered!

For some really cool dubstep. Where else are you going to look?

I mean seriously? You go to the master.

WHAT??? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THATS NOT DUBSTEP THATS HOUSE!!

uhh I think...sorry had to get that out, Im pretty sure thats house

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
SycoMantis91 said:
Sounds a lot like me. It's socially acceptable to like trendy music. It's not to be opposed to it. Just how the world works. Metal for Life \,,/ btw
really? because the way some peopel carry on I would interpert it to be the oposite

Dante DiVongola

Jul 1, 2011
Fieldy409 said:
See, the thing is. Eventually you will stop liking modern music. It happened to our mothers and fathers and it will happen to us.

Just enjoy the music you like, and dont worry because these days we have the internet, where any niche of music can be found.
Well, the problem is that there is some 'modern music' that I like. I'm guilty as sin for liking Lady Gaga's Alejandro, KoRn's Narcissistic Cannibal, and a couple of others that manage to sucker me in on a couple of songs. It's just that there are a lot of artists that just ruin things for me and I hate it.

I consider myself generally an open person about music because I've listened to the music of quite a few generations and have a repertoire of genres and subgenres I enjoy. But it's just certain music trends and artists that just turn me off and as much as I wished that all of that would go away, I know it won't.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
chewbacca1010 said:
I don't think anyone is going to tell you that your subjective taste is necessarily wrong, but I would be cautious in dismissing whole genres of music out of hand, as most genres are extremely diverse. Ironically, I used to feel the same way about rap and hip hop as you do about dubstep, until I actually gave more of it a proper listen. Hell, there is now a subgenre called "lounge-hop" that is all kinds of terrific.

Now, if you were to start to whine about the quality of music today, you'd deserve a bit of a slap, mostly because A) the past had plenty of shit too, we just don't hear it anymore since it has been forgotten and B) there is plenty of great stuff being made, but thanks to the Internet we get people like Rebbecca Black and Justin Bieber (and other assorted pop hitters) hogging a lot of the attention.

Not that I care to even complain about that poppy pulp music either. Stuff like that is music for kids and teenagers and both groups sometimes have notoriously bad taste in art due to age and inexperience; get the fuck over it already, I say to all the obnoxious haters.

EDIT!:
Abandon4093 said:
For some really cool dubstep. Where else are you going to look?

I mean seriously? You go to the master.

Since when is Deadmau5 considered a dubstep artist? He has made a couple of alright dubstep remixes, but Ghosts 'n' Stuff doesn't qualify in the least.
I agree...

I dont "mind" alot of dubstep but I dont want it assosiated with any kind of "electronic" because that would be annoying

also with hip hop...I think I actually FORCED myself to listen and spreciate the genre...and now I really like it

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Robert Ewing said:
People will defend their opinions.

For example, I can't understand why any human being would willingly listen to country and western, but they do. And I have no quarrel with that.
I don't get the need to defend your music choices. For that matter, why people get so damned angry about it. Especially some genres where people will go out of their way to try and prove you wrong. Wrong about your choices in music.

Personally, I get called an elitist a lot. "Elitist" to me has basically just come to mean "doesn't like why I like," because that's the way it's used. I'll patiently listen to the stuff people send my way, and then get called names for not agreeing. This thread isn't even any different.

I don't know why people feel like someone not liking the same things they like is some wrong that must be righted.

For example, I do like my share of country. It's not the musical love of my life, but I've got a library of it. That doesn't mean I'm going to tell you you're wrong, or just haven't looked at the right country, or what have you. And you don't seem interested in crusading against the evils of country, either. I'm not sure what would be accomplished by arguing it anyway.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
SageRuffin said:
Don't feel bad. I often get labeled a "hater" because I think [/i] is a better than Eminem (post Eminem Show), and for not liking Lil' Wayne or Drake.

gotta love atmoshphere, my problem with drake is that I find his voice REALLY annoying..I cant stand it, so I cant really enjoy any of his songs

Lil wayne is ok if he is in a song for two seconds and then goes away

sage francis has to be my absolute favorte (sorry eminem..I still love you)

also Ive recently discovered Tech n9ne

dont supose oyu heard much of eminems album "recovery"?

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Robert Ewing said:
People will defend their opinions.

For example, I can't understand why any human being would willingly listen to country and western, but they do. And I have no quarrel with that.
I don't get the need to defend your music choices. For that matter, why people get so damned angry about it. Especially some genres where people will go out of their way to try and prove you wrong. Wrong about your choices in music.

Personally, I get called an elitist a lot. "Elitist" to me has basically just come to mean "doesn't like why I like," because that's the way it's used. I'll patiently listen to the stuff people send my way, and then get called names for not agreeing. This thread isn't even any different.

I don't know why people feel like someone not liking the same things they like is some wrong that must be righted.

For example, I do like my share of country. It's not the musical love of my life, but I've got a library of it. That doesn't mean I'm going to tell you you're wrong, or just haven't looked at the right country, or what have you. And you don't seem interested in crusading against the evils of country, either. I'm not sure what would be accomplished by arguing it anyway.
Well, here you are defending your opinion that you shouldn't need to defend music choice. People will find any excuse to justify, big up, publicize the things they enjoy, it's just part of human nature.

It's a very neutral attribute to have... It has very bad implications, and very beneficial ones. If you look hard enough :p

Dante DiVongola

Jul 1, 2011
AnarchistFish said:
By dubstep and screamo do you mean this

or this

?

Anyhow, it's perfectly fine to not like some types of music. Some types of music just don't, click with some people. In other cases, I've often felt that I don't like a type of music until I find out that that was only because I was hearing the mainstream, overproduced crap version and that in reality, theres tons of wonderful and creative music in those genres, but hidden away.
Well I was mainly aiming at the Escape the Fate and Skrillex type. That Burial song you sent was pretty cool, but it felt like it needed to have something 'louder' thrown in there (idk if that makes any sense, but I'm just going to assume its my inner musician taking over and being pick). Sorry to say that I wasn't a big fan of the other song, but the former made up for it. :)

Dante DiVongola

Jul 1, 2011
Vault101 said:
SageRuffin said:
Don't feel bad. I often get labeled a "hater" because I think [/i] is a better than Eminem (post Eminem Show), and for not liking Lil' Wayne or Drake.

gotta love atmoshphere, my problem with drake is that I find his voice REALLY annoying..I cant stand it, so I cant really enjoy any of his songs

Lil wayne is ok if he is in a song for two seconds and then goes away

sage francis has to be my absolute favorte (sorry eminem..I still love you)

also Ive recently discovered Tech n9ne

Lemme go ahead and just say that you earned 9834879284287394 internets for mentioning Tech N9ne! I'm a huge fan of him and it's awesome to see a new Technician! \m/ ^_^ \m/

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
Anyone who complains that your opinion is biased is a fucking moron.
But just as you can not like a type of music, they can not like that you'd don't like that form of music and disagree.

In the end, it all comes down to aesthetic taste, and that's not something based on reason.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
Fieldy409 said:
See, the thing is. Eventually you will stop liking modern music. It happened to our mothers and fathers and it will happen to us.

Just enjoy the music you like, and dont worry because these days we have the internet, where any niche of music can be found.
Good call, I think I agree. My argument for hating current music (what little I hear, at least) is that, and I'm aware I don't hear every song that is made these days, I try to listen to it... but going by my concept of what makes music good, it's really dull, derivative, generic, repetitive(I know, ALL songs are repetitive, but this never goes on to say anything worthwhile or deliver good sounds).

I certainly won't claim that any specific genre has no redeeming qualities(some less than others, though...) but I don't comprehend the rap-combo thing I keep hearing. Why do I keep hearing rap mixed with something else? It never(exaggeration for lack of knowledge of situations otherwise) flows the way it should and both sounds really clash each other.

I'm specifically thinking of the Katy Perry/Kanye West combination, I personally find almost all rap I hear to be dull and uninteresting but I thought Katy Perry was at least partially decent in this song whereas Kanye West made me want to set my ears on fire.

Also, @OP: if you've given it that much thought, then I think you're justified in your thoughts. It's snap reactions and judgments that aren't given deep thought that I think people need to be worried about.

Also, I have no idea what dubstep is, but I keep hearing about it...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fieldy409 said:
Never happened to my dad.

Actually, he keeps more contemporary than me.

I'm not saying he's typical, but the hatred for modern music is not some inexorable slide. Nor is it what the topic creator is describing.

I'm still mad at my father for recommending Ke$ha though. >.>

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Abandon4093 said:
Vault101 said:
Abandon4093 said:
LetalisK said:
DrgoFx said:
snip
snip
I assume you're referring to 'Ghosts n stuff'. In which case
That is indeed dubstep, and a damn fine example of how to do it right. As this kind gentleman says

Vigormortis said:
And this right here is the problem. Today, dubstep as a whole is mistakenly associated with brostep. It's self a sub-genre of dubstep.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=brostep
In effect, brostep simply takes the most basic, and easily performed aspects of real dubstep and uses them as the basis for the entire sub-genre. This is why you'll find very little, if any, difference in sound from ANY Skrillex song or just about any other song by another brostep artist. (and I use the term artist here almost ironically)
What defines what is and isn't dubstep is simply the inclusion of of bass with a parabolic LFO curve. Clearly present in Ghosts n stuff.

Dubstep does not mean that's the only sound available in the music. Just like because Rock is synonymous with guitar riffs they don't need to make up the entire song.

Vigormortis is totally correct, when most people think of Dubstep, they're actually thinking about 'Brostep'. And it's a damn shame.

chewbacca1010 said:
Since when is Deadmau5 considered a dubstep artist? He has made a couple of alright dubstep remixes, but Ghosts 'n' Stuff doesn't qualify in the least.
Euuuugh...

Read above.
By the way, I just wanted to thank you for not only helping to reaffirm my point, but for posting that Deadmau5 song. I can't believe I had forgotten about it. Love that song. Both the instrumental and vocal versions.

Two other points.

First, the misconception of dubstep today is much like the misconception of techno back in the late 90's early 2000's. For the average person, when you said "techno" their first and only thought was trance. They associated the genre with trance. And only trance. The same thing is happening today with dubstep and brostep. Thankfully (hopefully), just as the misconception passed with techno as a whole, the brostep phase will pass and people will discover the better, deeper aspects of dubstep.

Second, I offer my own fine example of dubstep done right: Frankly, that whole soundtrack was phenomenal. Basement Jaxx really nailed it.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
AnarchistFish said:
I don't wanna act like a twatty, elitist hipster, especially since I'm not a massive fan of the genre, but the ignorance around dubstep is saddening. It's disappointing that as soon as you say 'dubstep', people automatically associate it with overproduced, overused, generic wubbing, in turn meaning that all the really good and creative dubstep artists are ignored.

So what you're telling me is that good dubstep is basically stuff Underworld and Aphex Twin did 15 years ago with the bass turned up? Awesome to know.

I'm teasing, but I do think I've heard enough about how "amazing" dubstep is. It's basically another flavor of electronica/techno and I'm not particularly into that genre, so I wish people I knew would stop trying to push it at me.

OT: Like whatever music you want and ignore anyone who says you're not allowed to like something, or vice versa.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Vault101 said:
I have, but I stopped caring about him after Encore. And I never knew how annoying that whole "waah my dad doesnt luv me" was.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Dante DiVongola said:
Well I was mainly aiming at the Escape the Fate and Skrillex type.
Escape The Fate aren't screamo, js.

Dante DiVongola said:
That Burial song you sent was pretty cool, but it felt like it needed to have something 'louder' thrown in there
ahh, that's odd, I think it's actually louder than most of his other stuff.

Dante DiVongola said:
Sorry to say that I wasn't a big fan of the other song, but the former made up for it. :)
Yeah, that kinda stuff can take a while to get into. I hated it at first.
Zachary Amaranth said:
Latkje said:
There's quality contemporary music in every genre, just because you aren't willing to dig around and find it doesn't make that any less true.

R&B: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtLBud9zPF0

Dubstep: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOd34eiaq3M

Post-hardcore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsLUYzKGlZA

Screamo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw7I6aIqlzA

Pop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQiT9ibMw_c

Hip-hop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnoBIQWS5bs
I'm not sure who you're going to convince with that post. I couldn't stand most of your examples, and I actually LIKE several of the genres listed. If these are the big examples of your statement that there is quality music in every genre, I'd say you just failed.
Actually, those seem pretty spot on. And I don't see why that's a failure. Saying that, Touché Amoré do overlap a little into screamo.

TomLikesGuitar said:
Personally, I think it's stupid to name a genre of music based on the wave shape of an instrument.
Dubstep wasn't just that to begin with though...

GrandmaFunk said:
AnarchistFish said:
I don't wanna act like a twatty, elitist hipster, especially since I'm not a massive fan of the genre, but the ignorance around dubstep is saddening. It's disappointing that as soon as you say 'dubstep', people automatically associate it with overproduced, overused, generic wubbing, in turn meaning that all the really good and creative dubstep artists are ignored.
well, what makes you consider any of those as being dubstep? what elements do they share with what everyone else refers to as dubstep?
As far as I can work out/have been told, it's the combination of 2-step garage and dub that makes it so.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
AnarchistFish said:
As far as I can work out/have been told, it's the combination of 2-step garage and dub that makes it so.
right, but that's not elements those songs really had.

at least not in a way that's not already present in other genres that predate dubstep as a term.

Would you consider stuff like Kruder & Dorfmeister as being dubstep? because the songs you posted sound a LOT closer to them than to stuff like skrillex.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
GrandmaFunk said:
AnarchistFish said:
right, but that's not elements those songs really had.
Yeah they are. Except maybe the Clubroot one. But that one still has a dub vibe.

GrandmaFunk said:
Would you consider stuff like Kruder & Dorfmeister as being dubstep? because the songs you posted sound a LOT closer to them than to stuff like skrillex.
I don't know, I haven't heard of them. As I said, I'm not an expert.