Why certain people will defend a clearly bad game

Milkman

Sep 16, 2012
It's so weird, I was just thinking this. I was trying to explain Heavy Rain's many plot holes to someone, and they kept writing it off as nitpicking. Some people are simply deluded. They can't accept that they would do anything wrong.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
It's opinions, you can't say a game is bad most of the time and make it true. I think the new DMC is the biggest waste of time ever but people enjoy it. Are they wrong? No enjoy what you want.

Me personally (I get a lot of flack for this, I'm sure I'll hear about it here too) the New Super Mario Bros games are just dumb. They're so same-y and have not progressed anything unlike their previous incarnations it's insane but people continue to buy them in every version.
I mean not including the DS one the first Wii one the creators said they were so lazy with it they didn't put peach in because they didn't want to animate her dress. Okay, fine, well it's been 2 more games and you're still playing with the same character set since the first one and their lack of passion/interest in their own game is pretty insane. Mario 3 to World you see a jump, things look clearly different, you don't see that with this series. I think it's just lazy crap kicked out to make a quick buck, something a Level editor could accomplish but they charge 50 bucks for it.

However, others enjoy it, and I'm sure I'm the odd man out here and I don't think either side is wrong it's just ..opinions.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
Its this thing called opinions and not everybody has the same ones.

Th3Ch33s3Cak3 said:
I enjoyed Two Worlds
Also, I hope this dosn't devolve into another thread of people hating and questioning other peoples opinions.
It will be hard for it not to when the op started it. Also Two Worlds rocked.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Milkman said:
It's so weird, I was just thinking this. I was trying to explain Heavy Rain's many plot holes to someone, and they kept writing it off as nitpicking. Some people are simply deluded. They can't accept that they would do anything wrong.
To some people, those plot holes (Whats his names black outs, etc) are nitpicks. Some people are willing to let go of what some others consider negative points towards a game, and that's perfectly fine, we should not devolve into calling others deluded because they can brush of aspects that others can't.

I always come back to the idea that nothing is inherently good or bad, but when people intergrate themselves into that something it can be swung either way. For example, Mass Effect (the whole series) has people who hate it, people who love it, and people who are indifferent, this isn't because it is a bad or good game, it's because some people enjoyed the story told throughout the series and the game mechanics, and others did not. Some people could suspend their disbelief, others demanded a legitamte answer based in fact/reasoning as to why certain things occured. That doesn't make the people who loved the game deluded anymore than it makes the people who hated it intelligent.

The only time where I will say something IS bad is when it fails in the basic mechanics of it's formation. If someone is singing, and can't hold a note, they are a bad singer. If a film has sound coming in and out at various levels and the cuts are visible due to a short space of blackness, then that is a bad film. If someone writes a novel, but continually changes the main character's name, has poor puncuation and grammar (like I do), then that novel is a bad novel. As for a bad video game, I'd say the only thing that qualifies as being bad is something that is literally unplayable. You can play Mass Effect, you can play Sonic 06, you can play COD, you can play Medal of Honour: Warfighter, and you can play Aliens: Colonial Marines. That doesn't make them instantly good, but it does mean that they are well formed enough for a subjective opinion to be formed on them. The ONLY game I have seen so far which I believe is inherently bad is Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor. If you have watched any footage of the game, or have played it yourself, YOU KNOW that this game is basically unplayable.

So yeah, I guess to answer OP's question, while I have seen someone try and convince themselves that they liked a game, only to come out and say they thought it was terrible a few months later, I believe that the majority is no more right than the minority. Games are subjective, and to say someone doesn't like it and that they're lying to themselves is ignorant.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
You only notice them "defending" games when the general consensus, or overall view is a negative game, or critics come out and call it bad. And they're defending it, because they enjoyed it, plain and simple.

The great thing about media is that for everyone who partakes in it, there is one person who will absolutely love it, and one person who will absolutely hate it, extremes on both ends. Good or bad, there's always someone on the opposite side of everyone else, and sometimes, when you like or dislike something everyone else hates, you tend to feel insecure about your choice. Sometimes, those defending the games are trying to convince themselves of why they enjoy it, rather than the person they're talking to.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
I had the exact same argument about the exact same game today with my best friend (which is why the arguement didn't end bad), but no matter what I said he swore up and down that the game was "fantastic". I wasn't trying to convince him that the game was unplayable, just that the game wasn't worth a $50 price. Honestly, I think his opinion has to do with the fact that he waited until midnight for the game to release to pay full price for it, and he had convinced himself that the wait was completely worth it. Eventually I gave up trying to convince him, and his opinion wouldn't bother me as much if he actually had real reasons for his statements, but his "reasons" all ended being "Well, other people just aren't playing it right. They all go in guns blazing and it makes the game too easy." And my counter-agruement was that if a game is based off of "stealth and survival" like he claims it is, then going in guns blazing shouldn't work, but IT DOES, meaning the game design in that aspect is terrible if what he says is true.

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
Okay. Okay. I get that maybe people liked the game. Or that possibly you could get some fun out of the game. However please keep in mind that people defend "WarZ" A game that was quite literally sold broken. Not Simcity broken, completely broken. Features missing, some features lied about. Something copied straight from LoL and yet there is a fanbase that says it is the best game ever.

That I do not get.

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
I would contest that there're no "clearly bad games" to begin with, just games you like or you don't like.
if a game is shittily made, its a bad game, aliens colonial marines and the new sim city are clearly bad games, as is amy

bethesda games do have bugs, but they are minor glitches and the game is engaging to play and interesting that minor bugs are tolerated more than they would on a shit game

you can also have a game that is just boring, its well made and all that, but it just seems dull, these are games people will say they like and admit some flack over but will be forgotten in a month

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
irani_che said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I would contest that there're no "clearly bad games" to begin with, just games you like or you don't like.
if a game is shittily made, its a bad game, aliens colonial marines and the new sim city are clearly bad games, as is amy

bethesda games do have bugs, but they are minor glitches and the game is engaging to play and interesting that minor bugs are tolerated more than they would on a shit game

you can also have a game that is just boring, its well made and all that, but it just seems dull, these are games people will say they like and admit some flack over but will be forgotten in a month
Having NOT played either of the games you mentioned I can only reiterate there're no "clearly bad games" to me, just games you like or not.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
anthony87 said:
Because maybe they....like it?

Scandalous, I know.
You ar'n't meant to enjoy games on your own terms, you form your own opinions based on other peoples beliefs. Did'n't you know that?

Idiot.

I'm being sarcastic of course.

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
Some times its blind fanboyism but some like me enjoy getting a laugh out of bad games. I tend to pick them up used for very cheap and use them to remind myself what a truly bad game is so I'm not overly critical of all games.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Cause like..idk maybe they enjoy it? and there's this thing called opinion, turns out not everyone has the same one...

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Thread topic "Why certain people will defend a clearly bad game"

Toxic Sniper said:
...Maybe they just like it?
I have to admit Toxic, the timing of this thread made me laugh... right? (to everyone else, we've been having a disagreement about Metroid: Other M.) And no, answering the op's question I didn't pre-order Other M. I don't pre order anymore after waiting over a year after preordering Twilight Princess.

But yes, I'll defend a game I liked in the face of overwhelming dislike. Did it for a long time with Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. And now the tide has changed on their profiles. (And no Toxic, that isn't happening for OM, even I realize that.) Oh, and Toxic, If I've been too insulting or offensive I apologize. I get defensive when outnumbered and tend to lash out. One of the reasons I like the escapist is we are usually better than that here, and I should remember that.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Well, I like DA2 and Alpha Protocol, but I've seen that a decent amount of people have enjoyed them so I guess they don;t fit the OP's description of a clearly bad game.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
This thread reminds me of this picture.

Too Human is just about the shittiest game I could ever think to play, but a lot of my friends love the hell out of it.

They just like things you don't like. Also, those are all fairly legitimate responses to a criticism of a game if they apply to what was said in the review.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
I dunno, if I paid $50 for a game I think I would try really hard to trick myself into thinking it was a good game too.....Just like back then I was bought a PS2 early despite there being no good games out yet. Ah hindsight.

AlbertoDeSanta

Sep 19, 2012
Does someone not have the right to defend something that they enjoy? Honestly, it's people that go 'REVIEWERS ARE GOSPEL' that piss me off more then people who defend what they like. Yes, as some have said, some are just being Fanboys who will defend the fuck out of anything with the name of the thing they are a Fanboy of. But then there are some that are genuinely defending something that THEY enjoyed. Maybe the arguments you listed aren't that great and are more the 'blind fanboy' type of defence, but by god does it annoy me that you can't defend something that a few people thought was shit.

Daniel Ferguson

Apr 3, 2010
I agree. I feel terrible when I've just wasted $60. Of course I'm more mature than some. Except maybe the purchasing a $60 pile of feces bit. That doesn't feel mature.