Why did some people not enjoy MGS4?

TheButtonMashEffect

Jan 10, 2009
I enjoyed MGS4 alot. I would classify it as one of my all time greats, but i have been reading that alot of people do not like MGS4 but liked the previous titles. There also has been a lot of disscusions of people not liking it because of it's worldwide sucess now.

What are your opinions?

songnar

Modulator
Oct 26, 2008
MGS4 requires two things...

1: You have played the prequels.

2: The ability of the player to comprehend complex ideas and piece the story together.

Most players do not possess both of these things and, therefore, do not enjoy the game.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
He is an old man in a skin tigh suit, its made in japan, the story is crap, and why is he called "Solid Snake" on the japanies could make such a complex series.

TheButtonMashEffect

Jan 10, 2009
Tattaglia said:
Too much movie, not enough game. I still liked it though.
But it makes MGS stand out from other games the cutscenes help the fantastic storyline. Without the cutscenes MGS would not be as epic well in my opinion.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
I have never played it but the two things I've heard about it that are negative are; A. it has enough cutscenes to be a short movie, and B. the story makes no sense unless you've played through all the prequels.

Aside I've only really heard anything bad about the game, but you may not realize it's faults because you've convinced yourself that it's the bestest game evar.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
RaRaLoco said:
Tattaglia said:
Too much movie, not enough game. I still liked it though.
But it makes MGS stand out from other games the cutscenes help the fantastic storyline. Without the cutscenes MGS would not be as epic well in my opinion.
I'm not saying the cutscenes were bad, mind you, I quite liked them! A lot of people don't have the patience to sit through a story that doesn't interest them, especially when there's a cutscene every few minutes.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
songnar said:
MGS4 requires two things...

1: You have played the prequels.

2: The ability of the player to comprehend complex ideas and piece the story together.

Most players do not possess both of these things and, therefore, do not enjoy the game.
Pretty much that. MGS isn't for everybody.

TheButtonMashEffect

Jan 10, 2009
DirkGently said:
Because I paid $60 for a game of tactical espionage action and instead got a movie?
But you got a great game as well. Plus you can skip the cutscenes its not like it makes you sit there and not let you pause or skip them like some games.

amendele

Aug 25, 2008
MGS4 wasn't exactly a game so much as it was an interactive movie featuring Hideo Kojima ranting against the military-industrial complex of the world. You paid $60 bucks to listen to him rant about it through the mouths of several characters.

Oh sure, there was a part where you actually played as Solid Snake in something akin to an actual video game with the stealth suit and the wide variety of weaponry. However the actual "game" part of the MGS4 video game seemed a mere afterthought compared to the massive amount of cutscenes that Kojima just had to put in. I don't disagree with his overall message, but if he wanted to rant that long about the military-industrial complex, he should just get a blog. It's cheaper, quicker, and it'll reach more people.

acer840

(Insert Awesome Title)
Mar 24, 2008
Country
Australia
black lincon said:
I have never played it but the two things I've heard about it that are negative are; A. it has enough cutscenes to be a short movie, and B. the story makes no sense unless you've played through all the prequels.

Aside I've only really heard anything bad about the game, but you may not realize it's faults because you've convinced yourself that it's the bestest game evar.
Just a short movie? :p
I played the game, tho I never played MGS2, and the story still made sense. I guess you have to pay attention during the movies. That was hard to do at some points.

black lincon

Aug 21, 2008
acer840 said:
black lincon said:

Just a short movie? :p
I played the game, tho I never played MGS2, and the story still made sense. I guess you have to pay attention during the movies. That was hard to do at some points.
did I or didn't I say I've never played the game? just take what I say with a pinch of salt because I only have what I've heard not what I've played.

TheButtonMashEffect

Jan 10, 2009
black lincon said:

I never implied it was the best game ever. It is a very good game and very enjoyable, people just don't have the patience.