Why did some people not enjoy MGS4?

johnt447z

Jan 14, 2009
I personally enjoy the long cut scenes in games, mind you I do play games for story as much as game play.

GeeDave

Oct 10, 2007
Hold the phone.

RaRaLoco said:
Tattaglia said:
Too much movie, not enough game. I still liked it though.
But it makes MGS stand out from other games the cutscenes help the fantastic storyline. Without the cutscenes MGS would not be as epic well in my opinion.
You've asked for peoples opinions, you get one... then you argue it like they were wrong? "No, that's what makes it a GOOD game! lol ur so silly". Well played sir. If you don't like their opinions, don't ask for them.

Whilst I'm here though... you think long, boring ass cutscenes makes MGS stand out from other games? Have you played "other" games? Because a lot of them feature long, boring ass cut-scenes.

Let me guess though...

"but der storees r not as gud as MGS!!!!!!"

Fuck off.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
nathan-dts said:
shmaller said:
I bet it's just because of the deep storyline. You really need to have played the first three to get the full experience. That said, I found the transition from stealth to third-person shooter uncomfortable and foreign. That said, I absolutely loved the game.
Agreed. I enjoyed the game but it wasn't Metal Gear; there was absolutely no stealth.
Have you finsihed the game without killing or tranqualizing anybody except the bosses?

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Vlane said:
nathan-dts said:
shmaller said:
I bet it's just because of the deep storyline. You really need to have played the first three to get the full experience. That said, I found the transition from stealth to third-person shooter uncomfortable and foreign. That said, I absolutely loved the game.
Agreed. I enjoyed the game but it wasn't Metal Gear; there was absolutely no stealth.
Have you finsihed the game without killing or tranqualizing anybody except the bosses?
Yes I have, in fact I am a proud owner of the Big Boss emblem, but it didn't feel like a stealth game.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
nathan-dts said:
Vlane said:
nathan-dts said:
shmaller said:
Yes I have, in fact I am a proud owner of the Big Boss emblem, but it didn't feel like a stealth game.
Then you have a weird image of a stealth game.

Hurray Forums

Jun 4, 2008
Before I state my opinion on the game let me just say that I'm probably one of the people who should enjoy a game like MGS4 the most. I've enjoyed most of the aspects present in MGS4 in other games: a long winded and complicated story presented in an absurd amount of cutscenes in Xenosaga, run and gun shoot em up "Western" gameplay in too many FPS games to count, tactical stealth gameplay in the previous Metal Gear Solid games, and finally a somewhat immature or "anime" tone to parts of the story in JRPGs and anime. I'm pretty sure I fall under the target audience yet I still didn't really enjoy the game at all. The only word I can think of to describe my feelings during the game is bored. I didn't hate the game exactly I just couldn't be bothered to continue playing it. The beautiful visuals were enough to keep me going for a while but graphics can only carry a game for so long before gameplay and plot need to take over but that never happened for me which lead to me storing the game on a shelf and never having the urge to play it again. There wasn't any one aspect of the game that really bothered me in a way that I could say "if they fixed this and this I would play it and enjoy it", the entire experience just failed to capture my interest.

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Vlane said:
nathan-dts said:
Vlane said:
nathan-dts said:
shmaller said:
You can't call MGS4 a stealth game; the other games REQUIRED stealth and if you didn't be stealthy you would die. In MGS4 stealth isn't required because if you are spotted you could dispatch of any attackers easily.

videot76

Aug 20, 2008
I play games first and foremost for the story, and I've never been able to stomach the MGS games (played them anyway just to see if there were any redeeming features. Answer? Not nearly many enough.)
The basic problem is that Mr Kojima is NOT a good storyteller. A good storyteller keeps his audience gripped, builds their anticipation, gets them to keep listening. None of the Metal Gear games manage to do this, be it 20-minute radio conversations or 1 hour+ cutscenes. If they were not so atrociously written and rambling and irrelevant, perhaps I could endure them, but as they stand they cause me acute pain, fidgeting and extreme embarassement for the writer who appearently has NO self-editing capabilities whatsoever. Droning, blathering, boring and downright pathetic in their incessant ramblings, the MGS cutscenes are exactly why I despise these games.
Because the gameplay is actually quite good. Shame, really - I would have loved them if the conversations/cutscenes hadn't been so insufferable.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
nathan-dts said:
Vlane said:
nathan-dts said:
Vlane said:
nathan-dts said:
shmaller said:
You can't call MGS4 a stealth game; the other games REQUIRED stealth and if you didn't be stealthy you would die. In MGS4 stealth isn't required because if you are spotted you could dispatch of any attackers easily.
MGS4 is just as stealthy as MGS3 and I think MGS3 was the stealthiest MGS.

Sethran

Jedi
Jun 15, 2008
Some people just don't have the same tastes as those who like MGS4. It's all different depending on the person @_@

nathan-dts

Jun 18, 2008
Vlane said:
nathan-dts said:
Vlane said:
nathan-dts said:
Vlane said:
nathan-dts said:
shmaller said:
MGS4 is just as stealthy as MGS3 and I think MGS3 was the stealthiest MGS.
What? MGS3 wasn't anything like MGS4.

protogenxl

Mar 5, 2008
The MGS series has a problem like most child stars. Instant fame builds immense pressure and to deal with that pressure MGS turns to Heroin three quarters thru the second game.

(I was willing to go with the whole possessed arm thing but when a giant island ship crashes in NY and no one notices this but snake-lite's girlfriend who is magically on site, That is where I draw the line.)

Then MGS3 comes out and we all think thank god MGS has gone to Rehab, we have a return to sanity and it is Welcomed back with opened arms.

Then MGS4 comes out and we discover that MGS is back on Heroin and like most people who have had their trust betrayed by drug addicts we are simply done dealing with MGS's crap.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
shmaller said:
With all due respect, there's a big difference between a deep storyline and a convoluted storyline. I wouldn't say that MGS is partially deep as a whole, so much as convoluted. I love deep storylines, the storyline in this entire franchise was a little too jam-packed with stuff for me though.

With that said I loved the first half of this game. The second half got progressively worse for me however.

shmaller

Jan 10, 2009
AgentNein said:
shmaller said:
With all due respect, there's a big difference between a deep storyline and a convoluted storyline. I wouldn't say that MGS is partially deep as a whole, so much as convoluted. I love deep storylines, the storyline in this entire franchise was a little too jam-packed with stuff for me though.

With that said I loved the first half of this game. The second half got progressively worse for me however.
No, you're right, it is a really complex story. Personally, I like that, but I guess you don't. It's just a matter of opinion.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
songnar said:
MGS4 requires two things...

1: You have played the prequels.

2: The ability of the player to comprehend complex ideas and piece the story together.

Most players do not possess both of these things and, therefore, do not enjoy the game.
And what happens when you've played the previous games, understand the story, and still say 'meh'?

Hamsterlad

Jan 7, 2009
all it was was a movie that you could enteract with. That was it, you had to be a fan to like the "game" and i wasn't a fan to begin with.