Why didn't more people complain about Kai Leng in Mass Effect 3?

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
I'm pretty sure Kai Leng was introduced in a book or a comic. Anyway, I had no complaints about him. He was a pretty cool guy in my book.

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
I really didn't have any problems with him, yeah he was kinda op, and in cut scenes I thought that Shepard could have probably taken him but then again he was a major plot device so he could not have been killed off that early in the game. Shit load of games pull crap like this and nobody complains, at least ME3 gave some explanation why he is so damn bad ass. I also have to admit that if I hadn't reed the novels, it would have been more WTF what's with the cyborg ninja for me.

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
The worst thing about him is that everyone acts like an idiot when he shows up, for example why doesn't shepard just shoot him when in the first stand-off? if this were me2 we would have an interrupt to at least try to shoot him, and then when he's on the shuttle it would have been so much easier to scrape him off on one of the support beams or do a barrel roll than to shoot at him, but again no player input. Then there's the confrontation on thessia, which even before the horrible cutscene incompetence he spends most of the fight standing still in the open "recharging his shields" while I inneffectively charge-nova him and he taunts me for being "too slow".
Finally there is the last cutscene on the cerberus base where everyone ignores his defeated form and aimlessly stares into space so he can sneak up on shepard, remember in me1 where shepard told his squad to make sure saren was dead, by having them shoot his clearly deceased body in the head? Apparently bioware doesn't.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
TopazFusion said:
Anyone else thought he looked a bit like Adam Jenson?
[small]or maybe it was just the glasses ...[/small]

But yeah, the cut-scene induced plot armor was pretty frustrating.
I would've preferred a Gunther Hermann to be honest, his skul-gun would've been way more threatening than that flimsy "space-age" katana.

[small]I wanted orange! It gave me lemon-lime...[/small]

IFS said:
The worst thing about him is that everyone acts like an idiot when he shows up, for example why doesn't shepard just shoot him when in the first stand-off?
Reminds me of that scene in Mass Effect 1 on Noveria where Alestia shows up to reveal that she's a sleeper Asari Commando. I chose the Renegade option, to which Shepard shouts out something along the lines of "She's got two Geth behind her and is pointing a gun at us, SHOOT HER ALREADY!"

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Canadish said:
How to introduce a villain - by Mac Walters

Step 1: Introduce him in some spin off material that only a handful of people bought. Have him do something badass, like steal someone's cereal, eat it and then clean up after himself. Goldilocks herself would be proud.

Step 2: Have him only show up in the last game of a trilogy. Who needs forethought or planning? Save yourself time by just making shit up on the fly. Some might say these cheapens the impact he leaves and doesn't leave the player feeling rewarded. But ignore them, they're entitled.

Step 3: Make sure he's SUPER BADASS. The kids like that chinese animu shit right? Make him a ninja. A ROBOT ninja. With some super sword made with magical space steel.

Step 4: Make him scary! Have him beat the players over and over, and make sure they can't ruin your perfect story with a thing like "interaction" or "choice".

Step 5: Make sure the players know he's serious! Have him contact and laugh at the player. An angry email is the best for this, so you don't have to have the artists do any work then! I'm such a genius.

Step 6: Make sure the players feel SUPER COOL when they beat him! Have them like...breat his sword or something...with their fist! Huh? Oh right it's made of that bullet deflecting space steel....ah fuck it, I think it's cool!

And there you have it! The PERFECT bad guy!|
This... this so much.
In fact Kaiden, James, Diana Allers, magic glowey kid, all the new characters in ME3 were pretty bad. EDI doesn't count.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
He just seemed out of place for to me. Oh well, its just a game. I think people need to stop obsessing over it.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Gone Rampant said:
Ugh, just thinking of him makes me wanna buy my fifth copy of Mass Effect Deception so I can kill it.
Fifth copy?! Why did you buy the first four?!?

I read the reviews of Deception and avoided that awful piece of shit like a plague rat with oozing pustules.

Why are you giving money to the people who wrote, edited, and allowed that awful travesty of fiction to exist?

If you want to buy a book with Kai Leng in it to hurt, get book 3 where he's first introduced (and first starts his career as a Marty Stu). At least the rest of the book was good.

Gone Rampant

Feb 12, 2012
Bara_no_Hime said:
Gone Rampant said:
Ugh, just thinking of him makes me wanna buy my fifth copy of Mass Effect Deception so I can kill it.
Fifth copy?! Why did you buy the first four?!?

I read the reviews of Deception and avoided that awful piece of shit like a plague rat with oozing pustules.

Why are you giving money to the people who wrote, edited, and allowed that awful travesty of fiction to exist?

If you want to buy a book with Kai Leng in it to hurt, get book 3 where he's first introduced (and first starts his career as a Marty Stu). At least the rest of the book was good.
Strange thing- my Kindle killed itself while I was reading book 3.

And as for how I'm getting the book... I can't tell you, but I destroy it every time.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
When somebody sets you on fire and you stub your toe running for the swimming pool, you don't complain about your toe.

That's why more people aren't complaining about Kai Leng.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
Tohuvabohu said:
TopazFusion said:
Anyone else thought he looked a bit like Adam Jenson?
[small]or maybe it was just the glasses ...[/small]
He instantly reminded me of Adam Jensen as soon as I saw him.

[/spoiler]

Anyway, I never had a problem with his abilities and tech. He IS basically a Phantom unit. So you can't complain about him without also complaining about Phantoms. The worst part about 'him' was the constant cutscene plot armor.[/quote]

I can easily complain about him, he was a poorly developed character who became the team rocket to my Sheppard, the annoying little shit that pops up every other mission to mess with me before i send him on his way.

I'd never complain about a Phantom because you're allowed to fight them without their dad coming over and keeping them from losing. I can head shot a phantom, kai leng is immune to head shot bonus damage in the temple fight. If i shoot a phantom the game doesn't make them immune so that they can put a bandaid on their booboo, I shot kai leng 1 time each time in the temple before he needed to go immune and heal to full to keep him from dying horribly.

Phantoms are fun to fight, they stealth and then sneak around and if you weren't paying attention they stab your dumb ass, kai leng runs around talking shit while basically being garbage, in neither the temple or your final fight does he ever hit me on either of the characters i made, infact the guys he calls into the fight and the attack chopper are the only reasons the whole thing couldn't be dumbed down to what is basically the easiest duel in history.

His only defining moment for me was the email and my anger from the well placed emotion kick was quickly dissolved by my flat out annoyance that he was bragging about a fight that he would of lost if the game didn't make it impossible for him to lose. Of course I've hated the element of the forced lost battle since it started in turn based RPGs way back when, but at least then you actually lost due to overwhelming power you couldn't hope to beat, this was me winning followed by a cutscene telling me i lost.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
All i can say is that he was better than anything in Mass Effect 2 which i'm playing through again right now. Why do i give a shit about these achievements when i really don't like the game that much and i've already got all the difficulty ones which have some minor significance?

Anyone still crying about mass effect 3 should take a good hard look at number 2...it's pretty poor in anything but dialogue. I'd forgotten there was no dodge roll which after 3 makes it terrible to play. Moan about the story and ending all you like but the gameplay was tweaked nicely to avoid the tedium of 2

JDLY

Jun 21, 2008
I looked at him less as an antagonist and more like a speed bump.

In fact, most the time I spent fighting him I spent laughing at him like "Is this guy freaking serious?"

He mocks Shepard and says how he's so much better than him, but then when it comes to fighting, Shepard gets his two squadmates and he gets endless nameless troops and an attack helicopter. All the while exclaiming that he's better than Shepard.

A few other times I was a bit annoyed. Such as when he's on the top of the shuttle while flying through the presidium. My first thought was "Just scrape him off with one of those bridges we're weaving through." Oh I would've loved that. People would've complained if Bioware let you just pancake him into oblivion between the shuttle and a bridge. They would say it was unexpected, there was no build up.

Me, however, I would've laughed my ass off repeatedly.

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
I loved Kai Leng in the books and that made me hate him even more in ME3. Yes he's a complete joke. And palm lasers? seriously?

Jan 13, 2012
IFS said:
The worst thing about him is that everyone acts like an idiot when he shows up, for example why doesn't shepard just shoot him when in the first stand-off?
Because he has strong barriers? Like Saren in the first game. Shepard shoots him but the bullets just bounce off because he has shields/barriers.

OT: I didn't mind him. Sure he could have been better written but when I gutted him I felt so much joy.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i was bothered by him because he emitted radiation that killed shepards brain and she forgot she is biotic for the cutscenes. seriously, my shepard never once used the stupid blade, how hard could it have been to make the animation in the cutscene fit the class. the same thing bugged me in ME2 when liara had to save shepard from falling to her death. fine, maybe shepard is not strong enough to fly but she can fire tiny black holes from her hand, i am pretty sure she can slow her fall.

yeah, i didn't mind him except that my shepard being biotic would have broken his plot armor several times (that's a nice barrier BOOM, now it's gone, Garrus shots him in the head)

oh and i think this is relevant:" there are tow ways to be upset about a villain, one is because of what he does to the characters we care about the other is because he was written by lazy stupid hacks"

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
Before people got to the ending, most people felt Kai Leng WAS the worst thing about ME3...

Xeorm

Apr 13, 2010
Honestly, I didn't care about him; he was fairly forgettable. His fights were silly, as the only time I ever had issues with him was when I didn't realize that shooting all the mooks was required for his health to go down.

Plot-wise the cut scenes told me "This is the cool villian", but his actions never really reinforced the implied badassery. Fighting of course was a waste of time, there's no way to make a melee opponent viable when I have so many mass effect abilities to throw at him.

The only reason I saw to hate him was him being a part of the third's (and somewhat second's) tendency to treat technology as magic. And there were far better examples elsewhere of this, so I didn't care about him.

JochemHippie

Trippin' balls man.
Jan 9, 2012
Cause there is way better stuff to moan about.

His plot armor was annoying though, but killing him was very satisfying.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Kia Leng was a not threat in my opinion. Though he was supposed to be this "Anti-Shepard" he was was kinda boring. I think it would have been better had he fought Shepard multiple times and had the first fight be hard with just him, then him and some troops (like phantoms), and finally him, phantoms but your squadmates are knocked out when you defeat the phantoms. Sure it seems like a "video game," but it is a video game. Really I think he wasn't used to his full potential.