Why didn't people like Age of Ultron?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Confession: fan boy here. I loved AoU. Thor was still Thor and not a joke. I enjoyed them all hanging out, having a drink together before Ultron makes his 1st appearance. What would it be like to hang out with fellow super heroes off duty? We got to see it as they all tried to lift the hammer (and Cap could have done so, as Thor saw but chose not to show off.) Not sure why they didn't just have RDJ voice Ultron. It is meant to have his personality and sense of humor. Even so, James Spader did a great job. I loved his dialogue. Just when he say "quit it!" to Cap after enduring getting hit by the shield was terrific. Or, "I had to kill the other guy, shame, he was a good guy (Jarvis).
Think about all that was introduced to us in this movie: Ultron himself, Vision, Claw, Hulk Buster armor. Our 1st real look at Wanda and MCU Quick Silver (not as good as Fox but his, "you didn't see that coming?" persona had its own positives). The Hulk vs Buster scene was worth the price of admission (go to sleep go to sleep go to sleep!!!!). And very touching, the end, "A thing is not beautiful because it lasts."
And the stakes were huge. The "What If" on Disney gave us a hint.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I enjoyed it for what it was, but Ultron to me was just a boring villain. So the setup was weak right off the bat, and aside from the beginning and end I really don’t remember much of significance that happened.

Reactions: gorfias

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
One of its bigger problems was the fact that it introduced too many people and tried to move too many threads around, leaving everything in it feeling extremely rushed. Most evidently Ulton himself, who (while still able to come back, thats basically his jam in the comics lol) gets a one and done treatment despite being one of the biggest non-Cosmic villain threats. He also doesn't get his more complex nuance as the "dark side" clone of Hank Pym's ego, which they could've shifted over to Tony given the change without too much issue.

Its in a big rush to ship out Thor and Hulk (presumably so, much like the comics, they didn't have to be involved in Civil War as two of the most OP characters), introduces Quicksilver as a character and hero for barely 20 minutes before trying to get pathos by killing him (as compared to Coulson in Avengers proper)

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
He [Ultron] also doesn't get his more complex nuance as the "dark side" clone of Hank Pym's ego, which they could've shifted over to Tony given the change without too much issue.

Its in a big rush to ship out Thor and Hulk (presumably so, much like the comics, they didn't have to be involved in Civil War as two of the most OP characters), introduces Quicksilver as a character and hero for barely 20 minutes before trying to get pathos by killing him (as compared to Coulson in Avengers proper)
They do note that he has Tony's personality and sense of humor, making me wonder why they didn't have RDJ voice him.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
One of its bigger problems was the fact that it introduced too many people and tried to move too many threads around, leaving everything in it feeling extremely rushed. Most evidently Ulton himself, who (while still able to come back, thats basically his jam in the comics lol) gets a one and done treatment despite being one of the biggest non-Cosmic villain threats. He also doesn't get his more complex nuance as the "dark side" clone of Hank Pym's ego, which they could've shifted over to Tony given the change without too much issue.

Considering how little time we had with him, I still think his death comes across as tragic but it’s helped by movie wringing most of the pathos out of Wanda and Hawkeye’s reaction to it rather than feeling for Pietro himself. This may have been intentional since Marvel studios knew they weren’t going to get to keep him so most of his character scenes are strengthening his bond with Wanda and the sort of rivalry he has with Hawkeye.

I mean I personally loved the cheeky doofus although the Fox version is an equally strong character and a better representation of him power wise. And I will never not love the whole ending with the Avengers doing their best to save everyone in Sokovia and then the Hellicarrier shows up with the music, it’s great stuff.