Why didn't people like Age of Ultron?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I remember when Moviebob was praising AOU to hell and back like a Marvel fan boy, only change is mind in 2019. He claimed it was still better than some of DC's output, but that was a load of bullshit.
Eh, people can change their minds on things. Hell you and I have both made threads about that very idea.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
-Kefka, FF6

I do find it interesting in Civil War that they went over a list of reasons the Avenger must run their actions by a government agency of sorts and Ultron was the only one that was really their fault. More specifically, it was Tony's fault. Ironically, the rest of them were the Avengers keeping shit from getting drastically worse. Particularly notable that they brought up the whole helicarrier thing in Winter Soldier, and that was a result of SHIELD being infiltrated with Nazis. But we're gonna blame the avengers for that one too, because SHIELD doesn't know how to run a proper background check :rolleyes:
But Hydra is Super Secret. Its their superpower. No one could catch them.

Also, Rogers was there for a while, so partial fault to him. He was the only one with any experience with Hydra.

Also, Banner helped Tony build Ultron. Partial fault to him. Tony was doing something that most other Avengers were interested in... dealing with the aftermath of the bad guys Thor enemies destroyed some city and he just peaces out

Reactions: gorfias

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Eh, people can change their minds on things. Hell you and I have both made threads about that very idea.
That's not part that bothers me. The fact that he claimed that Age of Ultron was better than most of DC's output. While people can change their mind, MB has a known habit of flip-flopping and changes his mind too quickly. To the point of claiming X thing was never that good or always sucked like he has the authority or the fucking final word. He's been doing that since his early YouTube days. I hate contrarians; especially ones that act like they know everything. For example, him claiming Banjo Kazooie was never that good and "over hyped". I am not even that big fan of the game, but that series has a lot love from fans for a reason.

I know you and everyone else having varying opinions on DC's film output, but I find their film output better than most of the MCU's phase 2 & Age of Ultron.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That's not part that bothers me. The fact that he claimed that Age of Ultron was better than most of DC's output. While people can change their mind, MB has a known habit of flip-flopping and changes his mind too quickly. To the point of claiming X thing was never that good or always sucked like he has the authority or the fucking final word. He's been doing that since his early YouTube days. I hate contrarians; especially ones that act like they know everything. For example, him claiming Banjo Kazooie was never that good and "over hyped". I am not even that big fan of the game, but that series has a lot love from fans for a reason.

I know you and everyone else having varying opinions on DC's film output, but I find their film output better than most of the MCU's phase 2 & Age of Ultron.
Well I can't speak to the comparison, as I have no clue how much of DC's output was...well...out when Ultron was released. However given they only have what, 5 movies total at this point, compared to like 20 MCU's, I think the statement isn't without some merit, at least from an opinion standpoint.

I'm not a huge fan of the MCU these days either, as I find them very hit or miss, depending on the individual film. I also only ever saw MoS and Wonder Woman, because I thought BvS looked like arse from the start, and I've never been a fan of the " who would win in this fight?!" crap that is so prevalent in comic fandom. It gives me too many flashbacks to the White Wolf: World of Darkness pissing contests where people would do similar shit of "My vampire would totally kill your mage" "BS, my mage would totally kill your vampire." "Pssh, my werewolf would kill you both" "nuh uh, my vampire would totally do X thing and win." "My mage would counter X thing with Y thing and win." blah blah blah. So the second I saw that was the plot of the film, I lost what little interest I had. And Justice League looked equally bleh to me.

At best, for me at least, most Marvel movies fall into the "it was fine I guess" category, with a few of them being really good, or really bad (I'm looking at you Antman and Dr. Strange).
Where as DC has 1. put out way less films, so their quality doesn't average out as easily. and 2. I really only like Wonder Woman, which was genuinely good and fun, and something I would watch again any time it's on. MoS I'm happy to never see again, because like Ultron I really just don't remember anything from it, other than a vague "it was really annoying and frustrating to me. (though not for the most common reasons fans have). And the others are just not something I care to see. They just didn't look like something I wanted to spend my money on.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well I can't speak to the comparison, as I have no clue how much of DC's output was...well...out when Ultron was released. However given they only have what, 5 movies total at this point, compared to like 20 MCU's, I think the statement isn't without some merit, at least from an opinion standpoint.

I'm not a huge fan of the MCU these days either, as I find them very hit or miss, depending on the individual film. I also only ever saw MoS and Wonder Woman, because I thought BvS looked like arse from the start, and I've never been a fan of the " who would win in this fight?!" crap that is so prevalent in comic fandom. It gives me too many flashbacks to the White Wolf: World of Darkness pissing contests where people would do similar shit of "My vampire would totally kill your mage" "BS, my mage would totally kill your vampire." "Pssh, my werewolf would kill you both" "nuh uh, my vampire would totally do X thing and win." "My mage would counter X thing with Y thing and win." blah blah blah. So the second I saw that was the plot of the film, I lost what little interest I had. And Justice League looked equally bleh to me.

At best, for me at least, most Marvel movies fall into the "it was fine I guess" category, with a few of them being really good, or really bad (I'm looking at you Antman and Dr. Strange).
Where as DC has 1. put out way less films, so their quality doesn't average out as easily. and 2. I really only like Wonder Woman, which was genuinely good and fun, and something I would watch again any time it's on. MoS I'm happy to never see again, because like Ultron I really just don't remember anything from it, other than a vague "it was really annoying and frustrating to me. (though not for the most common reasons fans have). And the others are just not something I care to see. They just didn't look like something I wanted to spend my money on.
Here are my overall feelings towards DC's output:

Man of Steel - S
Batman V. Superman - C -
Wonder Woman - A
Suicide Squad - C+
Justice League - C
Aqua Man - S. With action that is Smokin' Sexy Style!
Joker - A
Birds of Prey - S

I like the phase 1 stuff well enough, but I hardly find a reason to go back to them. Phase 3 I do enjoy more, but the problem with most of the MCU films is that they are "fine, enough". What was once unique and different, has become standardized and routine. Which is both of our main problems with the Avengers game. Everything comes back full circle. The MCU films that are the best to me are Captain America: WS, Black Panther, Civil War Avengers 1, Thor: Ragnarok, Infinity War, Gurdians of the Galaxy 1 & 2, and End Game. Everything is fine, alright, more mediocre (Phase 2, baby!). Say what you will about DC, but at least they've been more experimental with their IPs, for better or worse. I find Deadpool and Spiderverse better and more interesting than the MCU output.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
He's the "We've always been at war with Eurasia" type.
But aren't we at war with Eastasia? 0_0

On topic, well, if we're comparing the MCU to the DCEU, I would agree, AoU is probably at least on par with a lot of their stuff. There's nothing in the MCU that's reached the depths of Batman v Superman for instance.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I remember when Moviebob was praising AOU to hell and back like a Marvel fan boy, only change is mind in 2019. He claimed it was still better than some of DC's output, but that was a load of bullshit.
I rewatched his review on youtube just now. Everything you said was wrong. The only time he brought up DC was when he claimed the climax felt like a commentary of films like Man of Steel's lack of consideration for civilians, without relating its overall quality to that movie. He also starts the review with "Short version: Tons of fun. Doesn't quite feel like the instant classic the first one was." which doesn't strike me as praising it to hell and back.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I rewatched his review on youtube just now. Everything you said was wrong. The only time he brought up DC was when he claimed the climax felt like a commentary of films like Man of Steel's lack of consideration for civilians, without relating its overall quality to that movie. He also starts the review with "Short version: Tons of fun. Doesn't quite feel like the instant classic the first one was." which doesn't strike me as praising it to hell and back.
He still liked it and I don't. I made a mistake there, so thank you, but does not change the other bullshit he usually pools.

Palindromemordnilap

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 12, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
I don't dislike it but it doesn't feel built up to in the same way, say the original Avengers film or Infinity War did. In both of those there's a tangible sense that the films beforehand were leading up to this. Age of Ultron is just kind of...there, as a movie. Its a placeholder because they needed another Avengers film and weren't ready to throw Thanos into the mix yet

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It was generic even for a Marvel movie. Yeah, let that sink in.

The only good thing about it was that Linda Cardenilli is in it. Oh, and that final conversation between Ultron and Vision was pretty good, too.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The only good thing about it was that Linda Cardenilli is in it.
Is it just me, or does she look like Ellen Page's older sister or something? Her facial structure, whenever I glance at her, makes my brain go "did I google the wrong actress?"

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Hardcore Marvel fans were annoyed because despite being set in Doctor Doom's home town basically the finale never had him appear at all.
Hold up there chief, point of order. Isn't Doctor Doom from Latveria? Or was be born in Sokovia and decided to go and conquer Latveria instead once he got his Dictator pants on?

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Bob is the opposite of me when it comes to the fanboyism of Marvel vs DC.

But I am of the opinion that when it comes to the bad DCEU movies, eh I have seen worse from Comic Books themselves.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Hold up there chief, point of order. Isn't Doctor Doom from Latveria? Or was be born in Sokovia and decided to go and conquer Latveria instead once he got his Dictator pants on?
I stand corrected there then but Latveria would be close to his neck of the woods such that he's destruction would threaten his nearby kingdom etc.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But I am of the opinion that when it comes to the bad DCEU movies, eh I have seen worse from Comic Books themselves.
This. I remember where MB said Man of Steel was okay, only flip his opinion a week later gain street cred from other critics who hated the film. And was not just him: Honest Trailers, most of Channel Awesome (That Guy With The Glasses, with Nostalgia Critic and his brother being the most vocal), and Cinema Sins seemed to have an unjustified or exaggerated hatred of that and the Dark Knight Rises. To the point that all three of them have insulted people (with Honest Trailers calling people who enjoyed MoS psychopaths. They were not "just joking" and were being 100% serious and unironic.) I can understand the films' flaws, but the way these people act, you think that these movies killed their families. It was at these points that I was fed up or just fucking done with them. Honest Trailers I will occasionally watch, depending on the film or show they do, but it was at point that their material became less fun, and more of a whiny b{i}tch fest. The likes you would see from Comic Book Guy. Channel Awesome were full of egotistical asshole who act like their opinions represent the entire nerd fandom, and disagree with them and you're considered wrong or stupid. I am glad they disbanded. The only ones I truly like are Bennett and Linkara. Everyone else was meh, or I hated. Cinema Sins is a fucking joke that can't take criticism or claims it's "satire" whenever he gets called out on his shit or not doing his research. As if that makes you immune. Ok, it's fucking bad satire then.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I think I expected more. The movie was just too full of Whedon-isms that got tiring the more I watched the movie.

The next Marvel movies did Avenger's level action much better, and I think had better character moments too. Age of Ultron I think fulfills the steretype MCU movies have: too many puns, tried to set up future movies too much, and the finale felt like it was selected by throwing a dart at a board full of cliches. A blue skybeam AND a faceless CGI army? Two for one!

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
This. I remember where MB said Man of Steel was okay, only flip his opinion a week later gain street cred from other critics who hated the film. And was not just him: Honest Trailers, most of Channel Awesome (That Guy With The Glasses, with Nostalgia Critic and his brother being the most vocal), and Cinema Sins seemed to have an unjustified or exaggerated hatred of that and the Dark Knight Rises. To the point that all three of them have insulted people (with Honest Trailers calling people who enjoyed MoS psychopaths. They were not "just joking" and were being 100% serious and unironic.) I can unerstand the films flaws, but they these people act, you think that these movies killed their families. It was at these points that I was fed up or just fucking done with them. Honest Trailers I will occasionally watch, depending on the film or show they do, but it was at point that their material became less fun, and more of a whiny b{i}tch fest. The likes you would see from Comic Book Guy. Channel Awesome were full of egotistial asshole who act like their opinions represent the entire nerd fandom, and disagree with them and you're considered wrong or stupid. I am glad they disbanded. The only ones I truly like are Bennett and Linkara. Everyone else was meh, or I hated. Cinema Sins is a fucking joke that can't take criticism or claims it's "satire" whenever he gets called out on his shit or not doing his research. As if that makes you immune. Ok, it's fucking bad satire then.
Oh man you have no idea how much I hated so many movie youtubers after Man of Steel and BvS.

I stopped watching a majority of them because I just think they went too far in criticizing it.

I haven't seen Red Letter Media since Man of Steel.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I am gonna say, these folks who didn't like the tone that BvS is going for is because their Boomers that grew up with Adam West Batman, Christopher Reeves Superman and the Silver Age.

I mean this youtuber, ProfessorGeek was chatting with a friend of his and thinks the Batman we should all go back to for cultural iconic appeal is Adam West. Such blatent boomerism.