Why didn't people like Age of Ultron?

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
This. I remember where MB said Man of Steel was okay, only flip his opinion a week later gain street cred from other critics who hated the film.
You honestly think that he flipped his opinion around to gain approval in his critic circles? Rather than thinking more about it lead him to reach a different evaluation than what he initially did?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You honestly think that he flipped his opinion around to gain approval in his critic circles? Rather than thinking more about it lead him to reach a different evaluation than what he initially did?
That is my opinion and sticking to it. Bob's a known flip flopper and trigger happy contrarian. No one changes their opinion that fast. You think it's other way around and constantly defend him, go right ahead. I don't care.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I stopped watching a majority of them because I just think they went too far in criticizing it.
I know what you mean. The only YT critics I like are Double Toasted and Max & his crew from YoVideogames (they mainly do games, but review films as a group from time to time). They don't exactly like all of the DCEU either, but they're willing give things a chance, and even they hate certain films, they feel never the need to insult some one for liking/disliking something they don't. Simmons (YoVideogames)can get that way sometimes, but it's usually things involving anime. It's why I hardly watch his solo streams or playthoughs.

I mean this youtuber, ProfessorGeek was chatting with a friend of his and thinks the Batman we should all go back to for cultural iconic appeal is Adam West. Such blatent boomerism.
My parents are boomers and they love most of the DCEU film, yet they are unaware of the online hatred, nor would they care. My dad does not hate the Marvel films, but could not give a shit about any of the Marvel characters aside from Black Panther and the Hulk. Daddy is stubborn, and if it's not about Batman, Green Lantern, or Wonder Woman, he does not give a shit. Though he was surprised he ended up liking Aqua Man, but felt the action was a bit too videogamey. Note: it was not meant as an insult, but something he noticed. Honestly though, you're dealing with super powered aquatic people in a superhero film, why would you expect more grounded or "realistic" action? My mom loves the Marvel films almost just about as much the DCEU films.

ProfessorGeek is a thundering dumb ass.

Last edited:

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
I know what you mean. The only YT critics I like are Double Toasted and Max & his crew from YoVideogames (they mainly do games, but review films as a group from time to time). They don't exactly like all of the DCEU either, but they're willing give things a chance, and even they hate certain films, they feel never the need to insult some one for liking/disliking something they don't. Simmons (YoVideogames)can get that way sometimes, but it's usually things involving anime. It's why I hardly watch his solo streams or playthoughs.

My parents are boomers and they love most of the DCEU film, yet they are unaware of the online hatred, nor would they care. My dad does not hate the Marvel films, but could not give a shit about any of the Marvel characters aside from Black Panther and the Hulk. Daddy is a stubborn, and if it's not about Batman, Green Lantern, or Wonder Woman, he does not give a shit. Though he was surprised he ended up liking Aqua Man, but felt the action was a bit too videogamey. Note: it was not meant as an insult, but something he noticed. Honestly, though you're dealing with super powered aquaitc people in a super hero film, why would you expect more grounded or "realistic" action? My mom loves the Marvel films almost just about as much the DCEU films.

ProfessorGeek is a thundering dumb ass.
Yeah I noticed it about Proffesor Geek, he's such a fucking arrogant douche bag. He doesn't even think "that's your opinion" he straights up says your wrong and your tastes are wrong and awful.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
That is my opinion and sticking to it. Bob's a known flip flopper and trigger happy contrarian. No one changes their opinion that fast. You think it's other way around and constantly defend him, go right ahead. I don't care.
Since you don't care I don't know if there's any point to me answering this post, but what I think is that Bob's residual good will towards Snyder ran out. In the same way that he walked back on his positive review of The Last Airbender several years later, I think Bob is a somewhat more forgiving towards directors whose previous output he has enjoyed. And Bob thought Watchmen was a masterpiece and Suckerpunch was... a lot better than pretty much everybody else. What Snyder is good at is composing an image and portraying hyper-masculine imagery. With Watchmen he had enough of a script with thought in it that even portraying it surface level can be enough to let the audience have something meaningful to chew on while looking at the imagery. With Suckerpunch he had an underlying theme that resonated with Bob's thoughts. With Man of Steel he had a terrible screenplay to go on, and the end result Bob described as notably flawed. So while Snyder's talents were enough to keep the illusion going, actually thinking about it must've revealed how little thought actually was there, and therefore I don't think it's odd that he'd change his mind within a week.

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
I do have my fair share of criticisms of this movie buuuuuttttt.... I can't remember any of them, much less anything from this movie. I just remember 3 scenes; Ultron's introduction, Ultron talking to Widow before tearing his body apart to show his new one, and the slow sequence of everyone beating up robots in the climax. I do remember the death of an important character but that's about it.

Since its been years since I last saw this movie I don't think I can fully come up with any legitimate criticisms outside of well... outside sources. I think when Ultron was released I was getting tired of these movies in general. I'm honestly tired of these big CGI blockbusters because most of it is CGI and I'm honestly having a hard time keeping up with any of the action. I have this problem with these movies in general but I think it got bad with the second Bay Turtles movie though I believe AoU is where it kind of started with me.

I think I understand the criticism of these movies being compared to a rollercoaster than a film. Its more of an experience where a bunch of heroes beat up a bunch of bad guys. Yeah there is a set up but all it ever feels like is setup for a big fight scene. I just feel like I don't get anything meaningful from watching these movies. That's just me personally though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Since you don't care I don't know if there's any point to me answering this post, but what I think is that Bob's residual good will towards Snyder ran out. In the same way that he walked back on his positive review of The Last Airbender several years later, I think Bob is a somewhat more forgiving towards directors whose previous output he has enjoyed. And Bob thought Watchmen was a masterpiece and Sucker Punch was... a lot better than pretty much everybody else. What Snyder is good at is composing an image and portraying hyper-masculine imagery. With Watchmen he had enough of a script with thought in it that even portraying it surface level can be enough to let the audience have something meaningful to chew on while looking at the imagery. With Sucker Punch he had an underlying theme that resonated with Bob's thoughts. With Man of Steel, he had a terrible screenplay to go on, and the end result Bob described as notably flawed. So, while Snyder's talents were enough to keep the illusion going, actually thinking about it must've revealed how little thought actually was there, and therefore I don't think it's odd that he'd change his mind within a week.
I'm well aware of his opinions on last Airbender and sucker punch. That's when he's still kind of cared period and for the record, I never liked watchmen. I saw the appeal, but it didn't work for me. Just keep in mind movie Bob is a guy who insulted people and got into a piss ant mood, because Scott Pilgrim didn't do well at the box office and Expendables did. I like both movies at the time, but I can't even bother to sit down and watch Scott Pilgrim anymore. This is a guy who said people should not be allowed to vote or drive because they like the Michael Bay transformer films. Here's this link. Now there are some people I disagree with on what counts as a dethroning moment of suck, but I understand why the people put it there. I actually have a post in my own under my old screen name. This is the last thing I'll talk about anything Movie Bob on the thread, because it's already been derailed enough.

I'm not trying to completely change your mind, but there is a reason why there are a lot of people that don't like him. And it's not just petty hatred or hating him for having a different opinion. Just letting you know why people like me, and others have our reasons. Like I said before, there are way better critics than him and they can articulate their point without insulting others or making fun of them.

the second Bay Turtles movie though I believe AoU is where it kind of started with me.
Michael Bay was the producer only on the two turtle films from 2014 and 2016. Both of those were at least actually fun and entertaining. They are good films and I find both of them almost as good as the 1990 original. Better than the other sequels that came afterwards. Sucks that we're not getting a third one. Out of the Shadows I found more memorable than Age of Ultron.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghostrick Dorklord

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I'm not trying to completely change your mind, but there is a reason why there are a lot of people that don't like him.
Oh please, I am aware, and there are plenty of things he's said that I have a hard time defending. My defense so far has been against the accusation that he'd been dishonest in changing his opinion; that I think was genuine of him.

That and the defense of his review of Age of Ultron(to get back on the subject this thread actually is about), since it's the only Marvel movie I've seen and it was only on Moviebob's recommendation. At the time I had a cinema ticket that was about to expire and despite me not really liking superheroes The Big Picture had managed to hype me up so I went and saw it. And I was sitting there getting physically angry at not enjoying the movie. "Was this it? Was this all the things to get hyped up on?" After I had finished it and felt I didn't get to know any of the characters and feeling like half the movie was not there, I went back to rewatch the review to see how he could've so unfairly hype me up. And then I realized his review said more or less, "yeah, it's good enough", not really worthy of hype. So it was a fair review; if I had seen and enjoyed any of the previous ones I might have had some residual good will, and therefore felt otherwise. But as a stand-alone experience it definitely was lacking.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
My defense so far has been against the accusation that he'd been dishonest in changing his opinion; that I think was genuine of him.
Even if it was, that still does not change him insulting people for liking a movie, he didn't and vice versa.

That and the defense of his review of Age of Ultron(to get back on the subject this thread actually is about), since it's the only Marvel movie I've seen and it was only on Moviebob's recommendation. At the time I had a cinema ticket that was about to expire and despite me not really liking superheroes The Big Picture had managed to hype me up so I went and saw it. And I was sitting there getting physically angry at not enjoying the movie. "Was this it? Was this all the things to get hyped up on?"
It happens to everyone. My hype came from thinking Age of Ultron would be just as good or better than first one. Had nothing to do with Bob's review, because I had mind made up and saw the film before looking at any reviews. When getting out the theater, my only reaction was: "What the fuck did I just see?!". I rarely say things like that when walking out the theater. The only other time I could think of that was Revenge of the Fallen and Bruno (which I actually walked out on).

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I thought it was okay. Kind of groaned under its own weight though. And Joss Whedon was at his Joss Whedon-est to an unfortunate degree. Still one of the lesser MCU films, sadly.

But hey, the MCU gave us Avengers 1, Winter Soldier, Iron Man 3, Civil War, Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor: Ragnarok so it's a disappointment I can live with.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I think that Age of Ultron is an Avengers movie without a greater scope or point. It’s still fun to watch for me because I love the character interplay and I dig all those scenes of the Avengers helping the civilians in Sokovia and that Helicarrier reveal was pretty sweet. However there isn’t he first pumping “We made it ma!” feeling from The Avengers, nor the epic grandeur of Infinity War and Endgame. Like, Captain America: Civil War was a more appropriate Avengers movie than Age of Ultron.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I think that Age of Ultron is an Avengers movie without a greater scope or point. It’s still fun to watch for me because I love the character interplay and I dig all those scenes of the Avengers helping the civilians in Sokovia and that Helicarrier reveal was pretty sweet. However there isn’t he first pumping “We made it ma!” feeling from The Avengers, nor the epic grandeur of Infinity War and Endgame. Like, Captain America: Civil War was a more appropriate Avengers movie than Age of Ultron.
That first sentence sums it up very effectively. The MCU has always sold its movies on being character pieces as much as they are big setpiece blockbusters. We go to see these larger-than-life personalities bounce off each other in fun, interesting and unexpected ways. Endgame had a number of those I liked. It also cameod Korg and Miek again, who I would have paid admission for alone.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
One good thing about AoU is that Whedon learnt how to make a movie rather than Avenger 1 which looks made for TV

Reactions: gorfias

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
One good thing about AoU is that Whedon learnt how to make a movie rather than Avenger 1 which looks made for TV
That largely came down to the lighting and green screening. Everything was lit very flatly to make compositing easier. They've since gotten better at it.

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
Michael Bay was the producer only on the two turtle films from 2014 and 2016. Both of those were at least actually fun entertaining. They are good films and I find both of them almost as good as the 1990 original. Better than the other sequels that came afterwards. Sucks that we're not getting a third one. Out of the Shadows I found more memorable than Age of Ultron.
That's valid. I don't remember them too well either so it might just be a me problem. I do remember at least having some fun with them unlike AoU which I just felt braindead during the whole movie. But yeah I just can't remember these movies all too well.

Maybe we should have a movie night or something. There's a lot of movies I have to catch up with.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Maybe we should have a movie night or something. There's a lot of movies I have to catch up with.
I highly recommend you re-watch both of them; especially Out of the Shadows. Despite their flaws, effort went in to both movies. Check the bonus features on stunt and CG coordination. TMNT (2014) is a 7/10, while Out of the Shadows is an 8/10.

Reactions: Ghostrick Dorklord

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Every time I look at those designs, the nitpicker in me starts screaming, "WHY DO THEY HAVE PHILTRA??"

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
That largely came down to the lighting and green screening. Everything was lit very flatly to make compositing easier. They've since gotten better at it.
MCU or Whedon?

Im going to take my daughter threw the MCU soon, after watching the Jurassic Parks so I’ll keep an eye out. I thought the Iron man’s were better lit than Avengers but Thor was bad

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
MCU or Whedon?

Im going to take my daughter threw the MCU soon, after watching the Jurassic Parks so I’ll keep an eye out. I thought the Iron man’s were better lit than Avengers but Thor was bad
The MCU Thor had similar problems with lighting and color to the first Avengers. And The Dark World... well, that was the start of Ike Perlmutter trying to bludgeon modern trends back into what they were when he was a young man, back during the Spanish-American War. And after he bullshit fired James Gunn, Marvel just kind of took the production duties away from him. Good call in getting Taika Waititi for Ragnarok though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Every time I look at those designs, the nitpicker in me starts screaming, "WHY DO THEY HAVE PHILTRA??"
Very late response, but I didn't even notice it much on the Turtles until you mentioned it. I am so used to their design, that it doesn't even bother me.