Why do Americans seem to fear terrorism, but ignore gun deaths? An article I found

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Azahul said:
Therumancer said:
Interesting reading there. I'll be honest, things like this make me feel a bit better about making broad generalisations jokes about Americans as gun-mad conspiracy theorists.
Try sharing a country with them Crocodile Dundee. It blows my mind how our democracy can be horribly inefficient because politicians are afraid of stepping on the toes of their voters, and people can think the government will flop into a dictatorship at any moment for the lolz. Not only that, we have a problem with mass shootings increasing over the years. Not gun deaths. Those have been decreasing since 1993. And some of us want to have a mature conversation about how to limit gun access in a way to prevent these but instead people just erect walls and walls of text splattered with half truths, slippery slopes, hypothetical situations, and flat conspiracy bullshittery.

If I get some kind of snake, spider vaccine, will I be able to move down under?

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
Therumancer said:
Oh, don't get me wrong. I get what you're saying. The military would have to destroy the country to take over it. I still think it effectively sounds like holding yourself hostage to stop a military dictatorship. I'm not going to comment on the inner-workings of the US military, although I will say that merit-based promotion sounds like the kind of thing you would actually want to avoid a situation like the start of World War I, with a lot of old generals who only have their positions due to their seniority, with no understanding of modern technologies or tactics sending men to their death by the droves.

And I'm really not going to speculate on the role America may (or may not) be having in keeping Australia from turning into a military dictatorship itself. The only way to know for sure would be to go to another universe more or less identical to the current one, but with no US. But frankly, I think it's unlikely. The two political parties seem a tad too scared about losing any support from any demographic to be plotting to take over.

PoolCleaningRobot said:
Azahul said:
Therumancer said:
Interesting reading there. I'll be honest, things like this make me feel a bit better about making broad generalisations jokes about Americans as gun-mad conspiracy theorists.
Try sharing a country with them Crocodile Dundee. It blows my mind how our democracy can be horribly inefficient because politicians are afraid of stepping on the toes of their voters, and people can think the government will flop into a dictatorship at any moment for the lolz. Not only that, we have a problem with mass shootings increasing over the years. Not gun deaths. Those have been decreasing since 1993. And some of us want to have a mature conversation about how to limit gun access in a way to prevent these but instead people just erect walls and walls of text splattered with half truths, slippery slopes, hypothetical situations, and flat conspiracy bullshittery.

If I get some kind of snake, spider vaccine, will I be able to move down under?
In my area, you'd be better off with some kind of bulletproof vest to save you from the worst of the kangaroo kickings. Those things pack a real punch.

xDarc

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Fappy said:
I think this belongs in the R&P section. May want to have it moved there.
I think R&P is dead and I'm tired of off topic not having anything interesting, and everything interesting being in a dead section of the forums.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Therumancer said:
I found the Time article. I re-read it and I was off on a few minor details but give it a read. I think you'll find that Time's "credibility" isn't exactly vaporized, here. :D

http://swampland.time.com/2013/01/16/your-brain-in-a-shootout-guns-fear-and-flawed-instincts/

I'll have to get back to you on your reply--time's not something I have a lot of right now. XD

P.S. When you spoiler a quote you need to add a "snip" (as I did to you above) outside the spoiler box or they won't get a system message that they've been quoted.

EDIT: Actually I've just realized that we're wandering off topic, here. I'm going to leave this discussion as is. But I hope you find the article interesting. :)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Azahul said:
Therumancer said:
Oh, don't get me wrong. I get what you're saying. The military would have to destroy the country to take over it. I still think it effectively sounds like holding yourself hostage to stop a military dictatorship. I'm not going to comment on the inner-workings of the US military, although I will say that merit-based promotion sounds like the kind of thing you would actually want to avoid a situation like the start of World War I, with a lot of old generals who only have their positions due to their seniority, with no understanding of modern technologies or tactics sending men to their death by the droves.

And I'm really not going to speculate on the role America may (or may not) be having in keeping Australia from turning into a military dictatorship itself. The only way to know for sure would be to go to another universe more or less identical to the current one, but with no US. But frankly, I think it's unlikely. The two political parties seem a tad too scared about losing any support from any demographic to be plotting to take over.

Well, the thing is that the politicians right now need the support because a takeover by other means is pretty much impossible, meaning they more or less have to play the game the way it's intended. In a practical sense the right to bear arms serves us less day to day in terms of preventing a coup, than in limiting Law Enforcement, if you've ever seen shows or articles on "stupid laws I never knew it existed" you can sort of get the idea. Basically if some politician manages to get support to pass a "vanity law" something kind of ridiculous and/or impractical, it still comes down to some cop to go out and enforce it. With an armed populance the police are less likely to engage in "just following orders" thuggery, because at the end of the day any time they act there is a chance someone is going to try and blow their head off. They have to decide whether it's really worth the risks. An example of this would be laws against sex toys, I think Texas was the last state to have one "officially" though I believe. While the police might toss that onto a list of other charges if they say found something in the middle of arresting someone for something else, the police generally aren't going to risk getting their heads blown off kicking down doors to try and seize dildos or whatever. In response to some of those "dumb but true" laws Police Unions have even said flat out, that the politicians can pass whatever law they want, but that doesn't mean someone is going to risk their lives for it.

As far as the military goes, I don't see the possibility of someone who is totally incompetant or ignorant getting elected to high rank as being likely, because the system itself generally prevents it nowadays. You wouldn't have lasted long enough to advance through the ranks if you couldn't do your job or know what was going on. Archaic issues with the highest levels of command structure usually came about when there was a borderline military caste involved, and you had members of families "traditionally" filling roles of generalship and such. As a result in World War I you had some European militaries where the "flag" rank officers might not have so much as attended basic training.

There are pros and cons to both ways of doing things. In general merit based promotion sounds more appealing, especially to younger folks, when it comes to most things... both in and out of the military. The problem with "merit" based promotion is that what it actually means is subjective promotion, something that gives people less of a chance to advance. Basically the people in charge get to basically fill out their ranks however they want, and effectively choose their own successors. This leads to people who say the right things, kiss the most butt, and otherwise impress the right people getting promoted, where under a seniority system competance might not be guaranteed, but it DOES ensure that someone has at least lasted within the system for an amount of time and is likely to have learned something. From a security perspective when dealing with things like military forces, "merit" based promotion makes it very easy for people to "load" the ranks with yes men, and in a practical sense doesn't nessicarly mean any more competance, indeed it usually leads to more incompetant brown nosers being promoted than anything. Merit based promotion can only work if there is an objective system in place that omits the human part of the desician entirely, something which the military has attempted to an extent with testing, but for the most part there has always been too much of a human factor involved, and again I do believe with the military there needs to be security concerns. The more the people at the top of the food chain can be hand picked and in turn place their own followers, the more likely it's going to be that if some politician decides he wants to rule his own personal empire, he can give the order and have a decent amount of the military follow him based on having loaded the command structure.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Terrorism is supposed to be frightening. That's the whole point of it.
One would think then that the appropriate response is to resist that fear.

Panicking about terrorism makes no sense; it ignores the mathematics of the situation, it's not healthy, it leads to the erosion of freedoms, and it completes the terrorist's goals for them.

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
Terrorism is scary for Americans because it's often linked with notions of the "unknown". In the past 20 years, America has never seen acts of terrorism from an American, it's always been someone foreign. And that instantly instills fear and panic in Americans, because it's someone unknown to them. The notion of a foreign unknown 'other' is always scary. It may be arguable that if 9/11 was caused by Americans, terrorism might be less scary for Americans.

BreakdownBoy

Jan 21, 2011
In the end of the day, it is not laws that protect the citizens of a country, it is the properly inforced laws of a country and the effectiveness of the police/ security forces. Yes, gun laws in the US are crazy liberal and sure that needs some tweeking, but terrorism is the direct targeting of innocent people for the sake of creating chaos.

Gun violance and terrorism do inter-relate, for instance, the shooting Norway last year was an act of terrorism and gun violance.

In Britian there is not so many guns flowing around but that doesn't stop a bunch of Eastern Europeans (real story, not stereo type) going into a Huga Boss store with a bunch of machetes and robbing the place (staff fleed to the store room, so the yescaped unharmed).

Also take for instance the Boston bombing, those bombs were made out of non-controlled commodities, so ask yourself; Who are you more scared of, the guy with a registered fire arm or the guy who has information on how to make a bomb?

(not from US, English not my main language etc.)

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Therumancer said:
Okay, this touches on a lot of things so I'll start with the one most likely to piss people off so we can move past that:

When it comes to international coverage of things like US Armament, there is a very transparent case of "gun envy". Basically the Brits and other countries like to go off about armed Americans because on a basic level they wish they had an armed populance as well. In say the UK, the people are more or less entirely at the mercy of their own goverment and law enforcement, which can act pretty much as it sees fit without any direct threat of resistance from the people. In the US, the goverment is greatly limited by what it can do because in the case of a popular uprising the most it could hope for would be to destroy itself. Assuming the military backed the goverment during a popular uprising, when the smoke cleared and the tanks and planes destroyed everything (and that's what it would take) there would be nothing left for the goverment to rule. In a more "present" sense it also means that stupid laws become more or less unenforcable because at the end of the day your typical cop has to worry about whether it's worth potentially getting shot to enforce some politician's stupid vanity law. Overall the US works well and maintains the world's highest standard of freedom because of the way the right to bear arms limits govermental authority and excesses. The authorities can deal with armed individuals, and even small groups of individuals, but not with any kind of popular or large scale uprising, and it also means that at the best of times the authorities have to show caution.
Im a member of the UK and i have to say your wrong on just about every level ;) we choose to make guns restricted. Elections and the courts are our protection , infact its yours to. we just dont elect anyone thats going to pull a coup and the courts prevent them from doing so if they tried. for the politicians to order the police or the army in to do anything against the population they have to run it through parliament and it can be overturned by the courts. And the military wouldnt back the government in these cases anyway , you see we have a parliamentary democracy, america is a presidential republic. theres actually a lot of difference in how they work , your president is your commander in chief , it doesn't work like that here.

Therumancer said:
To really "see" things clearly here you have to listen to what people from the UK, Australia, etc... have to say when they aren't discussing guns directly, but in terms of the goverment doing stupid things with no recourse for the average person. Goverment/police thuggery are pretty much a way of life, because at the end of the day it has all of the real power and can make the people do whatever it wants. A cop in the UK will just do whatever a politician tells them to usualy when a law is passed, because there is no real reason for him not to. Without his life being in danger the path of least resistance is to just do whatever he's told, and tell anyone who complains to blame the politicians. A lot of things in the rest of the civilized first world go badly there largely because the population is powerless. They just don't tend to put 2 and 2 together. Nor do most bother to consider this when they try and say "we have more freedom than the US", when really whatever freedom they have is entirely based on whatever the goverment wants to give them. In some nations like Canada that are also fairly critical you have the police running around with Blank Warrents (or they used to), something which pretty much undercuts 90% of the rights the people there think they have.

See, at the end of the day, ask yourself could the people of the UK for example ever have the right to bear arms like Americans can if they wanted it? The answer is no, they could not. The goverment would never let them have it, holding all the cards it has no real vested interest in changing that. The UK goverment wouldn't even need tanks and planes to put down a large scale revolt because the people just aren't well armed enough for it to be a factor, any revolutuon would have to worry about arming itself from the outside.
err again no , the police have to behave in certain ways they for example they only shoot people who pull guns on them (well mostly) And just like in the states here when they cross the line and behave "thugish" both countries resort to the courts not to the gun.

Politicians dont command the police, the best they can do is pass laws that might affect their powers but again its not one guy making a decree its a bill that goes through readings votes and reviews.
Every 4 years we have Elections if gun ownership was something we wanted we are free to vote in a party that would do it, but having been on both sides of the line we know better than to do that , by restricting guns you loose nothing and keep a few thousand extra people alive each year.

Therumancer said:
The bottom line though is that the armed incidents you hear about are a small price to pay for the freedom and safeguards inherant in an armed society.
maybe, but paying that bill doesnt net you that reward, you have that because of the a document i think you call the constitution

Therumancer said:
when the UK fought the IRA, it largely gave as well as it got, because it was willing to be just as vicious under the table if need be as the guys they were fighting, leading to massive amounts of atrocities on both sides and an actual war. The US in general isn't willing to do that, or at least not on the same level.

With the Gun Violence there is a clear cost/benefit analysis involved, the price of the gunshot deaths is well worth the benefits in terms of limiting goverment power. With terrorism there is no clear question like that. In an objective sense we should be profiling people like crazy, and having our troops in The Middle East rounding up 1,000 civilians at random for every American that dies in a terrorist attack or the result of insurgency and executing them to make the conflict unsustainable (ie we'll achieve genocide before the fall of the US if they push it far enough). We have the power and abillity in reality to end the entire problem in a couple of months.
Yep My grandad served in WW2 and went straight to NI after to join the black and tans. he used to regail us as kids with stories about how whenever the RUC or British army lost a trooper they would go down to some catholic bar drag a dozen out the back line em up and blow thier brains out against the wall.

didnt work though did it? nope it escalated the fighting 1 IRA man kills 1 RUC, they kill 12 indiscriminate in response and the next day there are 12 new groups of families and friends ready to sign up and fight he opresser, it was only when we started talking to them did we ever see an end to that time.

Therumancer said:
Hell, in an absolute sense the entire world survives at our whim because we alone have enough nukes to end the world 10x over if we ever just decided "hey you know, let's destroy the world for lulz!" we *might* be able to stop someone else from doing that with our anti-missle technologies if we wanted to, but nobody else could... that's a truely staggering amount of power. The US on the other hand is based on the principle of not flaunting our power (despite what we're accused of) and pursueing humanitarian goals, at our worst we're like a nosy cop that nobody wants around until they are yelling for help. Profiling violates our moral imperitive and the principles of proof and equality we long since established. Acting in a way to fight an "intangible" cultural enemy as opposed to a national one is directly contrary to our founding principles. As a nation we've been telling the world they should be living by our standards of proof, and using our level of military restraint, and it would be galling to many if we had to admit we were wrong, make the exceptions, and do all of the things we've been trying to define ourselves by not doing. Personally, I've been long since convinced we were wrong and need to face reality, thank Islam and Muslim culture for taking the dream of global co-existance and dumping it into the crapper by demonstrating there are people who can't co-exist with anyone else at all except under their own very specific terms (including things like the enslavement of women). A lot of people have not been, and think things will magically work out if we stick to our guns.... and neither side ever wanted there to be sides drawn about things like this.
well you and russia both have the ability to wipe everyone out int he initial exchange. but the UK , France, China, Israel, Pakistan ,India and possibly the DPRK all have enough nukes to end all life on the planet and you cant shoot em down because theres no need for them to hit you , 10 large nukes in the same area anywhere in the world will be enough to trigger an ELE (extinction level event)

Not flauting your power? the last 5 decades have seen nothing but aggressive attempts to shape the world after you own ideals, why do you think people are fighting back? through the IMF, World bank, 40 years of trade deficit and dollar imperialsm. restraint? you bankrupt and enslave nation after nation then wring your hands and wonder why some people might be pissed at you? WAKE UP DUDE!
Islam isnt to blame , equating the terror factions claiming to be Muslims is like saying the KKK is a fair representation of Christianity. you are aware that Muslims Christians Jews and Catholics all pray to the same god right? or that there are thousands of them serving in your armed forces and police.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Terrorism is a meaningless buzzword - it's what the media is currently using to push its agenda, instill fear into the hearts and minds of the people, so they'll look to the benevolent overlords for protection by giving up more and more of our rights.

More people die of obesity/related complications *every year* in our country than to terrorist attacks - but we aren't afraid of spoons because the media isn't constantly harping on about the world-wide spoon plot to make us all fat.

And no, we don't ignore gun deaths - we simply put them in perspective. More people die every year of automobile accidents, drug ODs, and cancer than gun deaths. Considering how many guns we have floating around, we're actually pretty amazing in terms of having low violent crime rates - they've been dropping for over 30 years now. Some dipshit shooting up a school is about as rare as planes flying into skyscrapers - but the media jumps on anything it can to strip us of more rights, regardless of how silly and ineffective their plan is to "combat" gun violence.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Therumancer said:
When it comes to international coverage of things like US Armament, there is a very transparent case of "gun envy". Basically the Brits and other countries like to go off about armed Americans because on a basic level they wish they had an armed populance as well.
I can't speak for the UK, but in Australia this simply is not remotely true of the general population. Tightening of gun laws has been very popular. Australians, as a rule, are not interested in guns. There are severe restrictions on what kind of gun Australians can own, but most people are content with not anything at all.

Secondly, any time there is talk of loosening restrictions of guns, there is a great deal of public concern, and people will worry that this will make Australia's gun laws more like the US.

Therumancer said:
At any rate, you are correct that it's a very American attitude I suppose. The thing is that having faith in the democratic process only goes so far when it's all up to the goverment and only the goverment to remain "democratic". When you look at things like the UK's level of public surveillance and some of the complaints made even in your own Australia, where the goverment walks on the people, that's pretty much good examples of why real Americans embrace their right to bear arms.
Utter crap. Yes, people complain about the government's failings in place like the UK and Australia. That's not remotely the same as the government walking all over them in a way totally alien to the US.

Hell, one of the more common complaints about the Australian government is that "it looks like it's going to be more like the US". This is usually an unfounded complaint, fortunately.

Secondly, the idea of gun owners overthrowing a government isn't popular in Australia. The implication that they might is something that really upsets gun groups.

Therumancer said:
Also, while I suppose you won't want to believe it, the US helps protect you against some of the worst possible excesses of your goverment. As much as people hate the whole "World Police" attitude, when the chips are down people usually welcome us when it's their turn to cry for help. If things ever got totally out of control in Australia with the goverment, the US would probably get involved, and the Aussie goverment knows that. While the US is corrupt it's a lot more "pure" than it would be without the armed populance helping to keep things in check, and probably would wind up the same way as a lot of other western first world countries if this right didn't exist. In an offhanded away, Armed Americans in America help preserve the degree of freedom Austalia possesses. Without an armed America I'd imagine it would turn into an entire circle jerk of "Help, our goverment has started oppressing us" followed by America going "well yeah, I'd love to help but I'm too busy slamming the heel of my jackboot into my own people".
Also utter crap.

The US might get involved if Australia was run by a dictatorship, but only if it was hostile to the US's interests. The US has overthrown any number of democratically elected governments to replace them with puppet dictators.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Tom_green_day said:
What I can't understand is why people are so up in arms about 3 people dying, when every day in Afghanistan/Iraq and that area, hundreds of innocents are killed in the crossfire each day, by people including American troops.
It was a tragedy, but I hear people saying that it's the biggest atrocity since 9/11. Even since then, there was that explosion in Texas.
Simple.

There's a war over there. There's not a war here. Their countries have been fucked up by radicals for a long time. The US hasn't (at least not violently).

OT: As for the original topic, gun deaths haven't been rising over the years. You just think you're seeing more of them because the ones that do make the news all tend to be mass shootings.

If someone wants to kill a lot of people, nothing is really there to stop them. You can't predict an insane person's behavior. Take away the guns, he'll learn to make a bomb if he's determined enough. But the simple fact of the matter is, you'll probably never be involved in a tragedy like this. You probably won't even know someone involved in a tragedy like this.

Shit happens. You have to deal with it accordingly.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Did anyone else notice that the article in the OP kept seeming to use "Americans" and "Republicans" as if they were interchangeable? Seriously, after the Republicans lost the last election, you'd think it'd click that they don't make up the entirety of the American people, or even the majority of them.

Anyways, the situation in Boston might have been due in part to the firefight that occurred the night before the lockdown. If it is obvious that the terrorists are willing to fire on police officers and use homemade bombs while doing so, a lot of people will probably just want to stay off the streets, especially in a country that isn't used to that kind of stuff happening in its boarder. In America, we often think "That couldn't possibly happen here!" Yet Boston showed us that Americans aren't safe from this kind of attack all the time, and the shock likely is enough to cause people to not think in a rational manner. Or perhaps it was rational and the lockdown helped prevent further loss of life. Who knows?

Also, anyone wondering why Americans are less afraid of general gun violence than of terrorism needs only look at the culture. Many people in the country, especially in the South and Midwest, likely own a gun or know someone who owns a gun. Consequently, when gun violence occurs, we understand that this is just another person in the relative minority of Americans who use their guns to harm other people. We often get a chance to see the less negative side of guns: self-defence, hunting, shooting sports (targets, clay pigeons, etc.), and collection. This gives many Americans a greater mental barrier to fear of guns. On the other hand, terrorism is both unusual and completely negative. Those two differences alone can account for why people are so afraid of terrorism, at least when it goes beyond simple gun violence.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Why do the British seem to fear gun deaths, but ignore football riots and violence?

It's simply a difference in what is culturally normal in your society. We have gangsters with guns, the British have soccar hooligans with tire irons and knives.
If you're going to give it the wrong name you could at least spell it right :p
Bar one incident at Millwall recently (surprise surprise, of course it's fucking Millwall!) football violence isn't really that big an issue anymore. Though the whole firm business did/does make some awesome films. Just don't ever, EVER watch Green Street Hooligans. What a piece of shite.

OT: If I were to come up with a crap analogy it'd be this.
Firearms related violence is like going home from work and trashing your living room.
Terrorist attacks are like coming home from work and finding somebody else has trashed your living room, only you have no idea how they got in, what else they did, if they're still there, if they'll do it again or if they'll do something worse.

Also, people fear terrorism, because that's kind of the point of terrorism. They want you to be frightened by it, that's the result they're going for. It's kind of in the name.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
AuronFtw said:
Terrorism is a meaningless buzzword - it's what the media is currently using to push its agenda, instill fear into the hearts and minds of the people, so they'll look to the benevolent overlords for protection by giving up more and more of our rights.

More people die of obesity/related complications *every year* in our country than to terrorist attacks - but we aren't afraid of spoons because the media isn't constantly harping on about the world-wide spoon plot to make us all fat.

And no, we don't ignore gun deaths - we simply put them in perspective. More people die every year of automobile accidents, drug ODs, and cancer than gun deaths. Considering how many guns we have floating around, we're actually pretty amazing in terms of having low violent crime rates - they've been dropping for over 30 years now. Some dipshit shooting up a school is about as rare as planes flying into skyscrapers - but the media jumps on anything it can to strip us of more rights, regardless of how silly and ineffective their plan is to "combat" gun violence.
Thank you for expressing the reasonable neutral opinion I was looking for.

As someone from the Balkans I could care less about 'terrorism' and bombings in this run down ghetto, called a country. Atrocities here happen at least 10 times each day, and the same thing happens in every country, we're just not aware of it. The sacrifice of human lifes is tragic, yes, but just think about how routine it really is. Then it won't have as much of an impact on you. A while back a bus with tourist jews got blown up, I couldn't give two shits, but oh boy, did the media harp on it.

Les

May 23, 2008
Therumancer....

Stop, just..stop.

I am an avid gun-lover and an American, I own 9 guns including a 'scary black rifle' and several military-style pistols and even I have to say..

Please.. just stop.

You're letting the lens of your own perspective color how you interpret things outside of your purvue too much, and that lens is none too clean.

Firstly, Government is not some sinister Orwellian entity that's out to take away your guns, your apple-pie, your dog, and then rape your mom. You want to know what Government is really all about?

GOVERNMENT:
WELL-MEANING, BUT RUBBISH.

That's it, that's all their is. The CCTV cameras in Britain are a well-meaning attempt at enhancing public safety, and it's rubbish. Diane Feinstein's rhetoric is a well-meaning attempt at enhancing public safety, and it's rubbish. That's all it is, a lot of well-meaning intent flowing into ideas and actions which are rubbish-rubbish-rubbish. Nothing sinister, nothing fascist, just well-meaning intent that turns to rubbish when in contact with reality.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Les said:
HUMANITY:
WELL-MEANING, BUT RUBBISH.
Thought it fit better, though your initial point is still valid. As long as one group of people on this planet pursues the idea that they are superior to everyone else, there will be no end to hostilities.

I'd like to think The Verve Pipe said it best in their song "The Ominous Man" - Once love is unanimous, no order demands.

Les

May 23, 2008
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Thought it fit better, though your initial point is still valid. As long as one group of people on this planet pursues the idea that they are superior to everyone else, there will be no end to hostilities.

I'd like to think The Verve Pipe said it best in their song "The Ominous Man" - Once love is unanimous, no order demands.
The basic thing that keeps conflict alive is that there are people out there whose ideas offend us, for whatever reason, and we have a bad habit of assuming that they hold on to these ideas not because they have any valid reason to but because they are stupid, insane, and/or evil. The only really useful means of combating this is also the thing that is less psychologically satisfying to our primate brains, the idea of expanding our perspective and empathizing with those we are in conflict with and offering incentive for them to empathize with us.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
mattttherman3 said:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/apr/21/boston-marathon-bombs-us-gun-law Don't "shoot" the messenger by the way. Personally, I think it's in part because of the fear monger that is the mass media, if not mostly. I mean CNN covered a lockdown of a city for the whole day Friday where NOTHING HAPPENED for most of the day! Lets not forget the bullshit they reported to later retract(false bombers, false leads, false reports of other bombs)not just CNN either.

1 man shut down a city of over a million. Where is the logic in this? Anyway, I just thought it was a pretty good read.
Why do people fear crime deaths, and not the government(when governments have killed far more of their own people in the last century than crime)? Why did/do people fear nuclear Armageddon when you're far far far more likely to die from smoking? Why do people fear airplane crashes but not car accidents? Human beings accept the familiar, something that happens every day is just that, everyday. Something that happens rarely on the other hand catches our attention. Death is a part of life, and it is everywhere. If we feared death based on how often it happened, no body would be able to live, so we evolved to be able to accept death in the usual(and largely unavoidable) ways, and only fear the spectacular ones that we can avoid most of the time.