Why do comics have a better success rate when it comes to live-action adaptations than video games, manga, cartoons, and anime?

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I've often heard that anime, manga, video games and cartoons don't work well in live action. There seems to be some truth to that given that such adaptations are more often than not badly received. But then I notice that comics books tend to do very well in live action, even if the track record isn't perfect. Why do you think that is even though it is medium that has some similarities to the others?

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Probably because some comics story or combination of comic stories work well in a three arc story structure which is something video game adaptions have always struggled with. And unlike most anime the western audience typically has at least some familiarity with the likes of Batman.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
With the exception of Batman movies and Sony's Spider-Man, comic books have had just as much difficulty with movie adaptions as any other medium. It wasn't until Marvel struck gold with the Marvel Cinematic Universe that comic book movies started being worthwhile.

Reactions: Asita and BrawlMan

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Eh...That question is based on shaky premises. Comic books didn't get anything remotely resembling consistently good adaptations until the MCU kicked off in earnest with Iron Man. If we're going for 'decent' then we can move the clock back a few more years, but even so, for every X-Men we had a Supergirl. For every Batman Begins we had a Batman and Robin, Batman Forever, and Green Lantern. Let's not pretend that comics had an easy transition to the silver screen.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well some of that is true, the main reason is that these productions and studios are run by people who don't care, nor understand what it takes to make an adaption.

For all the flaws Mortal Kombat, Battle Angel and Rampage had, they are good movies that were directed by people that did care. Now comic books had their own flaws for years and suffered similar issues. Things have gotten better, but even they still have a few stinkers or deviate too much for no reason.

Reactions: immortalfrieza

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Mainly it's cause they get a real budget. Look at what dragonball, arguably the biggest anime ever, got for a budget and cast. The biggest name in THAT production was some supporting actor from the Buffy sequel Angel playing Piccolo.

If you wanna do a proper live action thing you have to get the actual anime people to work on it, not give it to hollywood people.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Statistical probability. Comic book adaptations have just been playing the numbers game for decades...around half a century already, until they settled on a successful formula. Anime adaptations have a lot of catching up to do. In the land of uncomfortable metaphors, anime is the new creepy guy late at the party ready to use their newfound 'pickup artist' tricks to find the girl with the lowest standards, whereas comic books got there early and practiced the method 100 times in previous parties. Both are creepazoid people with nothing special, yet the sheer power of numbers favours one over the other. Giving the surface impression one must be inherently more suited. Not sure why that metaphor was the only one to pop into mind though.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
With the exception of Batman movies and Sony's Spider-Man, comic books have had just as much difficulty with movie adaptions as any other medium. It wasn't until Marvel struck gold with the Marvel Cinematic Universe that comic book movies started being worthwhile.
There was also Blade, Superman, X-men, The Mask, Ninja Turtles and Hellboy.

Eh...That question is based on shaky premises. Comic books didn't get anything remotely resembling consistently good adaptations until the MCU kicked off in earnest with Iron Man. If we're going for 'decent' then we can move the clock back a few more years, but even so, for every X-Men we had a Supergirl. For every Batman Begins we had a Batman and Robin, Batman Forever, and Green Lantern. Let's not pretend that comics had an easy transition to the silver screen.
I did state that live-action comic adaptations don't have a flawless track record. Even then, you still had plenty of good live action adaptations of comics, way more than anime, manga, video games and cartoons. We even had two good Hellboy movies, which is pretty impressive considering the character isn't from the Big 2.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Mainly it's cause they get a real budget. Look at what dragonball, arguably the biggest anime ever, got for a budget and cast. The biggest name in THAT production was some supporting actor from the Buffy sequel Angel playing Piccolo.

If you wanna do a proper live action thing you have to get the actual anime people to work on it, not give it to hollywood people.
I think Chow Yun-Fat was a much bigger star than James Marsden.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Well, books are hard to translate to a movie since the conversion from the page to a movie, both visually and time wise is really hard. Video games are kinda weird since most of the ones that get movies are already kinda based on movies anyway or have such nonexistent plots that a movie can kinda just do whatever with the story. Really, as people said above, comics tried hard but till the current marvel movies, mostly failed hard with comic book movies.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
I didn't count any of them because the best one could say about any of those is that they're middling or "good for their time" which is just a way to say they're crap movies, but there wasn't anything that was capable of doing much better at the time.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
I didn't count any of them because the best one could say about any of those is that they're middling or "good for their time" which is just a way to say they're crap movies, but there wasn't anything that was capable of doing much better at the time.
Hellboy and Mask at least aren't just considered good for their time. Even then, being good for their time is better than what most non-comic or non-book adaptations get.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Blade I & II still hold up well, outside of some really dodgy CGI. This more so applies to the second movie with the crappy CGI. Blade Trinity on the other hand can fuck right off. The Mask, while being an in-name only adaption, has become iconic for a reason and still told a great comedy story. Despite the comic being the opposite and more dark and cruel. If the adaption were more accurate, it would been another Nightmare on Elm Street franchise for New Line. Which is what they wanted originally. Not to mention the cartoon adaption, and the fact comics were made based off the movie/cartoon continuity for extra irony.

The first TMNT is the best and holds great on its own and compared to all of the sequels. Where each installment either had diminishing returns, became mediocre/terrible, or just plain average. I do love the two reboot movies that came out in 2014 and 2016 respectively. With Out of the Shadows I consider almost as good as TMNT (1990).

Hellboy I don't remember too much, but I know Golden Army is hands down way better than the first movie.

While I respect the classics, both Superman I & II have their flaws. Don't even get me started on which cut is the "superior" version argument. Superman III & IV are not good, though at least IV can be entertaining. Superman Returns sucks and is full of lazy nostalgia baiting. Man of Steel I love. MoS ain't perfect, but I consider it an excellent movie and one that finally lets the Boy Scout cut loose for once in live-action format.

X-Men is a rocky beast as it has some advantages and disadvantages. The first film does not exactly hold up and the original trilogy has its own set of issues of early 2000s "adult/realistic" costuming. Bryan Singer, the teen chasing and sexual harassing fuck-tard can get knee bashed in the groin a 1000 times. That whole dick-wad comment about "Were you expecting blue and yellow spandex" was way out of line and insults the target audience. Singer had a well known hatred of comic books and would not allow anyone to bring said comics on the set. Say whatever you will about Chris Nolan, but he was more than happy to have Batman comics on the sets for the TDK Trilogy. A reminder, Singer also directed Superman Returns; the pretentious douche. I'll take memorable colors over generic black leather that is hard to move around in and trying too hard to come off as "adult" or cool any day. Hugh Jackman and many other actors stated the suits were hard to move around in the first movie.

Not to mention after the disaster of X3, all films afterward varied in quality. Wolverine got way too much focus no matter how you slice it, for one. Two: the most popular X-Men movies are the spin-offs that have little to do with them. Insert both Deadpool movies and Logan. Another layer of extra irony as Wolverine becomes the focus...again, and now has three solo movies. I will say that I lost interest with X-Men after First Class. The Wolverine is average, and Days of Future past is good, but I never felt the need to watch it again. Though DoF is superior to the original trilogy and better than FC. Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix, and New Mutants are all garbage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cicada 5

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I think Chow Yun-Fat was a much bigger star than James Marsden.
Honestly I forgot about him even being in it cause I like him as an actor so I don't wanna associate him with it but you're right.