Why do parents let there kids watch this stuff. (Rant)

Paper-Moon

Feb 5, 2009
You think Nickelodeon is bad? have you seen half the stuff on Treehouse??

http://treehousetv.com/watch/shows/yoGabbaGabba/default.aspx

their motto is, "Try it, you'll like it!"

Most shameless drug pushers I've ever seen.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
Another show like that is iCarly, which if I'm not mistaking, has the same brat actor. On that show, every teacher is shown as mean, unfair, and insane, same goes for Drake and Josh. All adult figures are shown as easily manipulated fools. And the three main characters are all brats, that are somehow "cool"
Look at Drake and Josh, and iCarly, in any of them, is there an adult figure that is not unfair/portrayed as insane?

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
needausername said:
IceStar100 said:
Ok I get to the point here. I'm watching a kid and he love the show Dreak and Josh. Fine what ever put it on if it will keep you from screaming.

Anyway as I was watching this. It amazed me that we have gotten to a point where shows have no moral. The sister a brat that need a belt to the back side long enough to turn it red. The parents are shown as both being moron who are easy to manipulate. The singer brother worthless. The one person who has anhy vaule the fat one.

Hard working, Holding a job, and being good in school. Is somehow the clown. So we are teaching them that if you are someone who is worth two cents your an idiot. If your lazy you will get everything. If you wrong other you will never get caught.

Arn't these the same parent who rip apart video games all the time. Yet these are the shows they let there demon spawn watch.

Thanks for reading I needed to get that out of my system.
WoW... don't take this the wrong way but... your grammar, it was just...
...Painfully horrible, in stark contrast to how needausername's avatar is painfully awesome.

Apr 28, 2008
Its the same in schools. If you pass and study, you are an outcast. If you are a failure, do drugs, and act like a jackass you are cool.

why does TV suck now?

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
A scientific study should be done in this area. Does children's television affect children if there are morals (well thought out morals, mind you) involved? Does TV fluff, especially featuring self-entitled brats, affect a child's perception of the world?

iCarly. More like, iBitch. iBitchAlot.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Admitedly I've watched a few episodes, and I found them twistedly funny. Honestly those two would have no show without that hellspawn of a sister.

McClaud

Nov 2, 2007
Darth Mobius said:
Anyway, I agree. I remember when shows for kids used to HAVE MESSAGES. Be a good person and you will have a better life. Now... If it isn't pointless, the show seems to say that being bad will get you farther in life than being good, kind, and caring. But I am a Sith Lord, so what do I know about any of those things... And TV is no substitute for parenting, but Good TV can augment good parenting, supplement bad parenting, or just teach societal Mores to kids who don't know them. Just my Sociological and Psychological opinion. Neither of which I major in...
Well, not all shows did. There were plenty that didn't. It's not a generation thing - this kind of TV programming has been around as long as the TV ...

I am a Psychology major, Sociology minor. Problem is if children don't understand the concept of "suspension of belief" when viewing electronic media. It's our job as parents to remind kids that shows, cartoons, video games, etc. are not real life. They can reflect real life situations or morals, but mostly, they are just for fun.

Don't ask me why I'm working on computers instead of actively using my degree. The money in being a Sys Admin is better than trying to be a counselor or something equally ignored, though, and I'm good at it.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
When looking at this kind of show, compare it to Dr Phil and Oprah. Can't forget the soapies either.

And people wonder why I don't miss television.

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
Eggo said:
Dumb people complaining how dumb other people are.

This is new and refreshing on the Escapist.
Hahaha ahh eggo,

The steaming pot of cynicism is always fresh.

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
Labyrinth said:
When looking at this kind of show, compare it to Dr Phil and Oprah. Can't forget the soapies either.

And people wonder why I don't miss television.
People ask me that all the time too...

Honestly, Television was never a big thing for me, but I just look at today and wonder what the hell happened. It was bad enough with the soap operas, which are still on by the way, now stupid reality TV shows flood the networks.

This is the reason I just buy TV show box sets instead of watching TV. I'll pay a little more if I can substitute quality for quantity

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
sv93 said:
Yeah, I hate Drake and Josh too. Mainly because the show just seems stupid and that kid is a *****, I'm not sure if you're supposed to like her or not. I hate what TV has become :(
Patrick_and_the_ricks said:
Edit that quick before the Mods read it. I have a feeling that will get you in some trouble.
They can see all the edits you make

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
needausername said:
IceStar100 said:
Ok I get to the point here. I'm watching a kid and he love the show Dreak and Josh. Fine what ever put it on if it will keep you from screaming.

Anyway as I was watching this. It amazed me that we have gotten to a point where shows have no moral. The sister a brat that need a belt to the back side long enough to turn it red. The parents are shown as both being moron who are easy to manipulate. The singer brother worthless. The one person who has anhy vaule the fat one.

Hard working, Holding a job, and being good in school. Is somehow the clown. So we are teaching them that if you are someone who is worth two cents your an idiot. If your lazy you will get everything. If you wrong other you will never get caught.

Arn't these the same parent who rip apart video games all the time. Yet these are the shows they let there demon spawn watch.

Thanks for reading I needed to get that out of my system.
WoW... don't take this the wrong way but... your grammar, it was just...
I have to agree....
reading your post almost made me rage.

Happy Toki Toki

Oct 3, 2008
Helnurath said:
This is why we should resort to cannibalism to solve the world's hunger problems.

"If you watch Drake and Josh one more time, we will eat you for dinner."
very good, and then finaly the people of africa can eat all their corrupt goverment ppl
and all will be well

WeedWorm

Nov 23, 2008
Its a fucking retarded program. Its not funny and, as you said, has no morals. Everyone in it is either completely braindead or a genius. *tut* Kids these days.

WeedWorm

Nov 23, 2008
Irridium said:
Its the same in schools. If you pass and study, you are an outcast. If you are a failure, do drugs, and act like a jackass you are cool.

why does TV suck now?
The only things I did that you mentioned were take drugs and pass my exams :p
Didnt study, not a failure and dont act like a jackass (well, most of the time anyway).