Why do PC gamers like Dedicated survers so much?

Sabiancym

Aug 12, 2010
There is no advantage to non-dedicated servers. Matchmaking is not specific to console games and client hosted servers.
Paragon Fury said:
Dedicated Servers provide a better, more stable connection, which provides a fairer game environment.

On the other hand, Matchmaking provides a randomized, fairly skill-even experience to everyone, and breaks up communities and groups, providing a fairer experience to everyone involved.

The key is to do it like Frontlines and Bad Company 1/2 (on the 360) do; games themselves are hosted on dedicated servers, but matches are made through a Matchmaking system. You get the best of both worlds while doing this.
Who said dedicated servers don't have matchmaking? Plenty of them do. Left 4 Dead on the PC comes to mind.

Other than cost, I don't think I've ever heard a legit advantage to client hosted servers over dedicated.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
1. Admins who make the rules, don't like the rules don't play on the server.

2. Connection, typically the connection is a lot better, although this varies depending on your internet connection and your distance from the server.

3. Freedom, the Server admins can put what ever game types or mods they want on the server.

4. Community, dedicated servers create a stable and reliable platorm for gamers to meet up on, this is especially important for teams and clans.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
When a mod is in charge, people arn't likely to act like dicks. In a setting besides a dedicated server, people are going to try to break the system. With dedicated servers, you can find one you like, stick with it, and run int far less problems.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Sabiancym said:
There is no advantage to non-dedicated servers. Matchmaking is not specific to console games and client hosted servers.
Paragon Fury said:
Dedicated Servers provide a better, more stable connection, which provides a fairer game environment.

On the other hand, Matchmaking provides a randomized, fairly skill-even experience to everyone, and breaks up communities and groups, providing a fairer experience to everyone involved.

The key is to do it like Frontlines and Bad Company 1/2 (on the 360) do; games themselves are hosted on dedicated servers, but matches are made through a Matchmaking system. You get the best of both worlds while doing this.
Who said dedicated servers don't have matchmaking? Plenty of them do. Left 4 Dead on the PC comes to mind.

Other than cost, I don't think I've ever heard a legit advantage to client hosted servers over dedicated.
I never said they don't; the vast majority simply don't.

Which is annoying, because MM w/Dedicated Servers is better than either system is alone; providing the best game experience possible.

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
Dedicated serves help people have a good community that they can return to. It helps prevents cheating. And there are a lot of fun with strange rules that you could not do without dedicated serves.

MASTACHIEFPWN said:
Like I said, dedicated servers would be an option, but the host would have to pay for a portion of it, if they wanted rules to be enforced there way- on the other hand, there would be community survers, that are moderated by official moderaters, so no unfair rules like knife only. But if no moderaters were avalible at the time someone cheated, they could be reported, and the player would be put under watch, and banned if they were caught doing so.
To be honest that sound horrible, the way you have set it up the game dies when you pull the plug on the serves, so a lot of PC games would avoid the game because of that.