Why do people hate Oblivion,Fallout and maybe other Bethesda games

IKSA

Jun 30, 2011
Title explains it I want to know why I personally like them very much so why the hate? can you please tell me.

Edit: Some of you are getting me wrong. I do know how opinions work thats why I created this thread to see their opinions so I will know why they hate it.

Dec 14, 2009
They may be buggy, but Bethesda games are some of my favourite around.

Also.

[HEADING=2]Holy shit! 5 days until Skyrim![/HEADING]

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
i dont think ive ever heard anyone say they hate Oblivion. they complain about bugs, but i dont think they write off the entire game as a steaming pile of horse shit's crap.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Are you kidding? Every game Bethesda makes, no matter what many, many flaws it may have, garners a massive following with a ton of critical acclaim.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
I'm not really that into oblivion though I'm getting skyrim but I love fallout 3. I like New vegas too but they got pretty lazy if you ask me.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I like most Bethesda games myself, but here's a few possible reasons why people may dislike them:

- Potential game-breaking bugs and glitches. I remember accidentally getting my character stuck in a wall once when playing Morrowind. I was forced to reload my last save and lost approximately three hours' worth of progress. I've learned to implement the tried and true "save early and save often" axiom when playing Bethesda games.

- Wonky combat. Morrowind is perhaps one of the most egregious offenders, with its simulated dice rolls that have you miss 9 out of 10 swings with a weapon you aren't proficient at. Oblivion improved on it somewhat, but it still largely consists of hyperactive mouse clicking. As for Fallout, generally the best approach to combat is lining up a bunch of headshots over and over again using V.A.T.S.

- Lackluster story. When you boil it down, most plots of Bethesda games are "a great peril threatens the land, and you're the only one that can defeat it."

- Awkward implementation of NPCs. They typically only have a handful of voice actors and repeat many of the same lines. They also have a tendency to stare at the player constantly, giving them a creepy vibe. Then there's the issue of psychic guards in the Elder Scroll games that are more than happy to chop you up into bloody little chunks because you tried to steal someone's napkin.

Like I said, I enjoy most Bethesda games, but I can see why they might not be for everyone.

IKSA

Jun 30, 2011
AlternatePFG said:
Are you kidding? Every game Bethesda makes, no matter what many, many flaws it may have, garners a massive following with a ton of critical acclaim.
What kind of flaws? They can't fix all bugs in such big game and other flaws. well you can't please everyone.

Heraklitus

Mar 29, 2009
I didn't HATE Oblivion, but Oblivion had a strangely game breaking leveling system in which if you didn't level you character exactly right, the game got harder, and later close to impossible as time went on. Community members had to mod it in order to make it playable. It got a lot of flak for that, and it's strange it was released in that state.

That being said, once you mod the game properly, it's extremely good, and I'm hoping Skyrim is better. I'm looking forward to it!

Edit: To clarify, the problem was that Oblivion essentially punished the player for success. Leveling up made the game more difficult rather than increasing your ability to accomplish things. Normally, leveling up makes you relatively more powerful and able to accomplish more.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
I don't necessarily hate them, but I am not a fan due to:

- The huge amount of bugs.
- The gameplay has its fair share of flaws.
- The incredibly weak storytelling
- The often weak and forgettable characters.
- The often lifeless and boring, but ridiculously huge world
- Fallout 3's karma system and its ending.
- The decision making parts are usually quite bland and limited.
- The huge amount of sidequests often make me lose track of what I set out to do and in the end and are unable to keep me interested in the game due to most of them being so weak and uninteresting.

This doesn't mean the games suck (on the contrary), but they're just not for me. I'm more into RPG's with good writing (Planescape for example).

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
IKSA said:
AlternatePFG said:
What kind of flaws? They can't fix all bugs in such big game and other flaws. well you can't please everyone.
I could come up with a laundry list of problems I have with their games, but there would be no point in doing it. I do really like Fallout 3, but even that game has a ton of issues that people overlook.

Not a fan of Oblivion though, the leveling system in that game is absolutely broken. Morrowind, I haven't played enough of to say.

Reece Stevens

Jan 10, 2011
I have a friend that is very much against anything made or even published by bethesda, but its because his coppies of morrowind and skyrim never worked, and he hates the AI in brink, and says wet crashes too much

IKSA

Jun 30, 2011
Reece Stevens said:
I have a friend that is very much against anything made or even published by bethesda, but its because his coppies of morrowind and skyrim never worked, and he hates the AI in brink, and says wet crashes too much
How he did get skyrim early?

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
Because different people have different tastes :$

I really liked Fallout 3, but I found Oblivion to be a bit tedious (albeit fun in small doses)

I think the reasons why Oblivion didn't grab me were:

a) I like a plot I can sink my teeth into

b) Lacklustre characterisation of npcs. Coupled with poor voice acting and strange faces I found it difficult to identify with any of them. I think the only one I can remember now is Martin.

c) A 'standard' fantasy setting that boiled down to lots of bland wooden towns with forests inbetween. I read/watch/play a lot of fantasy and am pretty bored of that setting by now.

d) Little variety in the dungeons. Hello generic cave #20, Hi Oblivion gate #15!

e) A combat system that basically comes down to clicking the mouse a lot, with very little feedback on whether you've connected. I like my fighting to either be more visceral, or more tactical

f) A messed up item levelling system. You spend hours questing to get an awesome sword and armour. Then you level up and suddenly every single bandit gets your ideal loadout. It spoils the fun of questing for something when it becomes so common, so quickly.

On the plus side, I thought the attention to detail was fantastic in regards to the countryside, the ability to enchant items and craft your own spells is great, the world is huuuuuge, the general freedom is fun, and The Shivering Isles fixed some of the problems I had with the main game (interesting location?thankyouverymuch). Oh, and I thought that the 'living world' thing they had going on was a nice idea - the first time I saw someone chased and executed by the guards for stealing was impressive, even though I did sort of want them to train me in something...

So all in all, it was a fun game, but not one of my favourites. And there's a rundown of some of the reasons why. I can see why people like The Elder Scrolls so much, but it's just not my cup of tea. I'll probably get and play Skyrim, but not until next year sometime (or maybe later).

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Well Oblivion was a boring trudge through a generic, so called "Fantasy" world filled with very dull and boring characters that weren't memorable in the slightest and all had boring problems that only you could fix. The story was weak and there was barely any choice in it whatsoever, it forced you to go through Oblivion gates (which were designed very poorly) and not only did it show a greivous misuse of patrick Stewart but also tried it hardest to make Sean Bean as boring as possible. The fighters guild and mages guild were a joke and compared to Morrowind there were much less factions to join. The combat was dull and pathetically easy and the levelling system was stupid beyond recognition.

Shivering Isles was pretty good though.

As for Fallout 3, don't get me started.

Fallout: New Vegas was fantastic, but that wasn't even made by Bethesda.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
The big thing about Bethesda's games are the huge world to explore and the variety of content. However there's never a sense of impact on the world, which makes a huge sandbox kind of pointless to me. I'm getting Skyrim because DRAGONS!, and I'm trying to stay optimistic about it, but I think it's likely I won't enjoy it much because of this issue. With games that have so much to do and such a big world, it becomes really obvious you have practically no impact on anything. Sure you can do things, but the things you can don't mean a damn thing. Oblivion was the worst in this, feeling entirely lifeless and just waiting for the player to me, but Fallout 3 and even Morrowind had this same problem to a good degree. New Vegas, while not actually a Bethesda game, avoided it to a greater degree then any other open world game I've seen, with pretty much every area having a major quest that really changed the world and how the people in that area reacted to you. *edit* Shivering Isles did a good job with this too. The World was much smaller though, and stuck to one very central theme though.

So, I don't hate Bethesda games, I just don't really enjoy them. I suppose it does irk me a bit when people come them the greatest RPGs ever, but that's a personal thing.

*edit*Now I've been reminded about all the hype of SKyrim being bigger. That's a bad sign for whether I'll enjoy the game...

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Like was said, it's down to personal taste. I hated Oblivion because the combat was slow and uninteresting to me and everything else didn't work. And then I loved Fallout 3 because it made it all more fun.

Jeremytroid

Jul 10, 2011
I believe that while they are a fun experience, they usually end up with a lot of stupid bugs that are very basic. The engine crashes a lot, you can get stuck in the environment, and many mission related bugs that basically ruin the game because they are necessary for story. Plus, since Elder Scrolls IV, they've been using the same engine and haven't fixed a single thing.

Off the top of my head, in New Vegas I had to lose 2 hours and 4 levels of play because the Cazador poison killed me immediately after changing environments, thus the game auto saved immediately before my death, so I died within a second of loading the save.

Most everything seems to be really boring as well. You don't meet anyone outside of specific towns, and it seems like you're literally the only one on the planet doing anything. Again, with New Vegas, every faction is completely incompetent until you show up. It's an odd quirk that makes the whole world seem less believable.

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
In my opinion, Bethesda's games often need some amount of effort from the player. And by that, I mean, you need to meet the game halfway when it comes to storytelling and characters. It has the structure set up, but more often than not fails to execute an interesting story without the player's imagination added in. I like them because I kind of do my own thing and enjoy doing that, but I understand why other people don't enjoy those games. Hopefully Skyrim can fix many past flaws in Bethesda's games.

matell

Oct 13, 2010
there will always be some people who hate all different sorts of stuff, they don't necessarily need a reason to. Depends on your preferences really. I hate Fallout 3 because it had an overly simplified story, that is 80% copy pasted from the originals, and because it had none of that dialogue depth the other 2 had.
And because whatever you did, you couldn't fail. A 10-strength 1-intel brute could easily succeed aswell as any other build. You wouldn't see this in the originals, where a wrong build got you to restart from the beggining.

Edit: never played obliv, daggerfall, etc