Why do people hate the Wii.

KissofKetchup

May 26, 2008
Because us hardcore gamers went into the Wii thinking it would revolutionize gaming, which it did, only not in the way they thought it would and bringing forth the age of casual gaming. And because Nintendo pretty much turned their back backs to us hardcore gamers.

s-l-u-g

Sep 5, 2008
I don't think that anyone has it in them to genuinely HATE the 'Wii'. Rather, a slight distaste. This isn't the first time that Nintendo has blessed us with a nifty little console that everyone loves for about five seconds before realising that their friends hate it and thus so must they!
I refer of course to the Gamecube. What a wonder that was. It's a cryin' shame shops won't [Yes, WON'T, not can't] stock them anymore. Anyways -
As I said no one hates the Wii, we're just over the hype and we're starting to realise that there's only so much fun you can have with waving your arms around. It doesnt matter what plethora of colours are before us and it definitely doesn't matter how many different angles we must hold our hips at while spinning our arms around without damaging anyone or anything in the general area. We are just tired. We are also very sore.
Give it a while and N' will pop out another little beast that will capture our hearts for the entire two years following it's release and it will be host to around 400 mario, sonic, and LOZ Games along with games that bring together all three for an hour's worth of playtime that will no doubt have you forking over £40 worth of instant regret that could have went into something more productive... like, oh say, a hammer. With which to destroy one's skull with.

In conclusion, there is no hate towards the Wii.
It's just past it's time. Gone are the days of it's prime. Wii is old news. I mean, really, when was the last time someone called the Wii-mote innovative or pro-active.

BolognaBaloney

Mar 17, 2009
Clirck said:
Nobody hates Wii, it just doesn't have that great graphics and many games. And only eastern game mostly of them
I wouldn't be so hasty to dole out absolutes, I have some friends who absolutely hate their Wii's.

BolognaBaloney

Mar 17, 2009
Fredrick2003 said:
KissofKetchup said:
Because us hardcore gamers went into the Wii thinking it would revolutionize gaming, which it did, only not in the way they thought it would and bringing forth the age of casual gaming. And because Nintendo pretty much turned their back backs to us hardcore gamers.
What makes you think they "turned their back" on anybody...?
The fact that Nintendo has turned to casual gaming and mass-produced shovel-ware over typical "hardcore games" has left a bitter taste in the mouths of many. Many people feel betrayed by the fact that their favorite games take back-seat to gimmicks, like Wii-Fit, and Wii-play.

BolognaBaloney

Mar 17, 2009
Fredrick2003 said:
BolognaBaloney said:
Clirck said:
Nobody hates Wii, it just doesn't have that great graphics and many games. And only eastern game mostly of them
I wouldn't be so hasty to dole out absolutes, I have some friends who absolutely hate their Wii's.
If they hate it so much why don't they destroy or sell it?
Their parents still presumeably want it.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
because in my opinion the control method sucks, The games are all the same (seriously, Pong was done years ago, and you didnt have to flind your arms about like a muppet) and the graphical power of the console is pityful against the other systems.

In the wise words of LeBouf (sp?) "Id rather eat broken glass then play the Wii"

Id have my Xbox...or even *sigh* a PS3 before i own a Wii.

(incidently my little brother has one, I hate it)

zilek

Jul 22, 2009
Like others have said its the "casual gamer" thing which gets at most of the other more "hardcore gamers". I personally have nothing against the Wii I just find there is no games I am perticually interested in that are on that console.

I did own a Wii for 2 months before selling it and I am glad I did because the one game I was looking forward to (Smash Bros Brawl) actually is just melee with few characters jumbled around and some extra special super attack for each character. Its not really even an addon the melee to me.

Other than that I enjoyed some games like the mario football one was okay as it was fun to work out the different tactics and such but once i sused it out my bro and mate wouldnt play it with me as i just would woop them every time. Also while the Wii controller is good to some extent I sometimes just want to sit back with the normal styled controls and play that way.

Maybe if they introduced a HD Wii with a few more interesting but slightly more main stream Id buy it... but with its current lack of Armored Core or any serious FPS/RPG (which isnt some sort of CoD4) then I will probably never touch it again. (apart from for the announced/predicted Zelda game :p which I will buy then go to my friends to play).

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
This is my problem with the Wii. I have a Xbox360 and at one point I had both. Now when I press a button on my 360 controller something happens. If I press X to late I die. Time it right and win. Fair enough. With the Wii when I had to waggle it horizontally it didn't matter if my timing was right or not. No what my survival depended on was the Wii registering my action correctly. All of a sudden it isn't about skill but the Wii allowing me to progress. And if I turn it sideways and use it in a traditional fashion I might as well play the 360. At least the graphics are better and the controller is comfortable.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Cause they haven't played No More Heroes.

sirbryghtside said:
It has barely any original games.
Oh, you're so very ignorant.

No More Heroes, Madworld, Mushroom Men, that game where you play as the insects.

It's got a lot more originality than the shooter-satured Xbox.

BolognaBaloney said:
The fact that Nintendo has turned to casual gaming and mass-produced shovel-ware over typical "hardcore games" has left a bitter taste in the mouths of many. Many people feel betrayed by the fact that their favorite games take back-seat to gimmicks, like Wii-Fit, and Wii-play.
'Casual' games developed by Nintendo;

Wii Fit/Sports/Music/Play, Brain Age.

Five Wii 'casual' titles developed by Nintendo. The only five.

Stop exaggerating. Nintendo doesn't make all these 'casual' games, they just allow them to be launched on their console. They also allowed No More Heroes, Madworld, and Fire Emblem, none of which can be considered 'casual'.

Juraz

May 31, 2009
Eh mainly because the games are for when you have someone over or something like that, ive had some fun with it but yeah as soon as you are playing by yourself or half hr passes the fun flies right out the window that you broke by not using the strap.

Marcus Dubious

Jul 22, 2009
Juraz said:
Eh mainly because the games are for when you have someone over or something like that, ive had some fun with it but yeah as soon as you are playing by yourself or half hr passes the fun flies right out the window that you broke by not using the strap.
I dont think wii parties are the only social events,
I have a life wothout a wii, I must be unique.

Juraz

May 31, 2009
Marcus Dubious said:
I dont think wii parties are the only social events,
I have a life wothout a wii, I must be unique.
I think you misinterpreted my words, I was trying to say I'd only ever rip the wii out if someone was over and never if I was by myself.

essieteric

Jul 15, 2009
Ace of Spades said:
If I said I hate the Wii, I'd be lying. Just look at my avatar. However, a lot of games that I look forward to are never released on the Wii, which soured my enjoyment of it.
This would be my assessment as well.

I bought the Wii because of the Virtual Console - I like my retro games! But since I am one of those very poor full-time students, I can only afford the one console in both time and money. If my bank account was healthier, I would probably splurge out for a 360 as well. :)

murdertrain

Jul 23, 2009
Well personally I hate the wii because the wiimote is probably the worst thing I have ever laid my hands on (actually I change my mind the second worst, the first xbox controller was terrible). The games... ok I only want to play the general Nintendo games so many times before they get boring. The third party games just dont compare to the same game on another system. The hardware in a wii is crap, the internet is a joke, and its mostly in business from fanboys and Nintendo's stupid gimmicks to sell worthless crap to people to shove their controller into.

bipeo

Mar 25, 2009
geldonyetich said:
Why do people hate anything? A magical little thing called an 'opinion.' Name the most popular thing in the world, and some people dislike it. I hope this has been enlightening.

Of course, like anything else, there will be specifics to the grudge. Least powerful hardware, slow game release, Nintendo selling out to the casual while leaving their hardcore established fanbase out to dry, ect. But, if you're not so silly to care, you've moved on by now.

If the title had been "is the dislike towards the Wii justified" I'd have been more onboard with what you're doing here.
you will name that thing, and will find that it is not the nintendo Wii

bipeo

Mar 25, 2009
I have a wii and play it a good portion of my gaming time but one thing i don't like about it is the lack of games that use original characters. Link, Samus, Mario etc. and i'm not saying that the gameplay dosn't change from game to game (excluding of course the legend of zelda) but I'd really like to see some new faces to go along with it. and when i go to gamefly or gamestop's websites all excited for a new game and go to the wii section, i find maybe 7-12 good games, but all just sequels of older games, and the rest are hannah montana. I know it's not really nintendo's fault but i never go to look at Xbox 360 games and find 13 pages of minigames and miley cyrus staring back at me. I'd just like it if the companies making these games would stop selling out and taking a group of minigames, slapping disney characters on it, and calling it a game.

so i guess my problem is that developers use the wii to dump their shit all over and make a quick buck off dumb kids.

(added)that and what they laughably call multiplayer.