Why do people say that the British didn't do a thing in WW2?

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
Swollen Goat said:
acosn said:
What the Russians had were numbers. That's it. Shit tanks, shit tactics, non-existent air force.
I'm assuming you mean at the beginning of Barbarossa, as they eventually came up with the T-34 and Stalin tanks which were considered some of the finest overall models of the war. And by the time the tide was turning against the Germans in the East, the Soviet air force had grown by leaps and bounds.
Exactly. Not to mention that they were quite tactically capable by the later years. Employing the German strategy of encirclement and destruction with better capability than the Wehrmacht did in 1939-41. Just look at the 1945 invasion of Manchuria. Armchair generals are still in awe of the soviet army's success against the million strong Kwantung army. The campaign unfolded like a general's wet dream.

Anyways, all the nations, including Britain helped the war effort greatly.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
FightThePower said:
...and the vast majority of people involved in the D-Day landings were British, I'd say we did a fair fucking bit, thank you.
61,715 British soldiers took part in the D-Day landings. 2,700 casualties.
73,000 American soldiers took part in the D-Day landings. 6,603 casualties.

Both were practically even, with the American's edging out. British supplied more naval support. Check before you do EXACTLY what you're accusing the American's of doing.
How is that doing exactly what you're supposedly doing? I never said the Americans "didn't do a thing"; my numbers are obviously horribly off, but it's not like I said you didn't do squat during the invasion.

Whatever, I don't care. History GCSE was years ago.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
RyQ_TMC said:
I think you've misunderstood me. I meant that the US was in a much better position to churn out films about courageous American troops single-handedly winning the war. While Brits were busy doing things like rebuilding and creating a universal healthcare system.
PhiMed said:
Lol. What? Way to miss his point.

What does a universal health care system have to do with the worldwide propagation of a particular viewpoint?
Sorry I was in a facetious mood when I wrote that, the point I was flippantly making was maybe the British utilized their post war period better on practical rather than propaganda based things.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Warforger said:
Now Britain did a good job in terms of information, it had some of the best spies and they are responsible for helping win the war, but in terms of military no. Now some Brits may go "well we helped in D-Day alot!" Because of your information, you had many other landings with Canadian troops and they all failed, of course Canada only supplied volunteers in the war.
You Realise the Canadians took Juno Beach and the Brits took Gold Beach with less trouble and fewer casualties than The Americans on Omaha right? (335 dead at Juno, 683 dead at Sword and 2,400 estimated for Omaha)

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
Your "history" teacher is full of shit. The Americans helped turn the war's favor and ended it, sure, but the British had to pretty much hold their own for several years. And yes, the Russians definitely took the hardest sacrifice. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties

The Battle of Stalingrad alone took 1 million Russian lives, most of which were civilian. In fact, the Russians were probably the greatest threat to Germany.

crystalsnow

Aug 25, 2009
acosn said:
What the Russians had were numbers. That's it. Shit tanks, shit tactics, non-existent air force.

The Russians were just plain damn lucky. The US supplied a great deal of their war effort even if they won't admit it. They were insanely lucky that Hitler's offensive was held up until the Winter because the Italians got stuck in the piss middle of no where and needed bailing out. The Germans at that point HAD no air force either.
I suggest you check your sources before spewing bullshit all over the place.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Commissar Sae said:
Warforger said:
Now Britain did a good job in terms of information, it had some of the best spies and they are responsible for helping win the war, but in terms of military no. Now some Brits may go "well we helped in D-Day alot!" Because of your information, you had many other landings with Canadian troops and they all failed, of course Canada only supplied volunteers in the war.
You Realise the Canadians took Juno Beach and the Brits took Gold Beach with less trouble and fewer casualties than The Americans on Omaha right? (335 dead at Juno, 683 dead at Sword and 2,400 estimated for Omaha)
And? The Germans had seen the attack coming after the failed aerial bombing and the shitty naval bombardment, of course they'd gun down the first troops to arrive at the scene with ease. The Canadians had like one ship in D-Day, I'd say Canadian forces number in the what 1,000's for the entire war.

EDIT: I'm assuming we're talking about the D-Day landings, I was originally talking about the earlier British and Canadian landings NOT D-Day which failed.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Warforger said:
Commissar Sae said:
Warforger said:
And? The Germans had seen the attack coming after the failed aerial bombing and the shitty naval bombardment, of course they'd gun down the first troops to arrive at the scene with ease. The Canadians had like one ship in D-Day, I'd say Canadian forces number in the what 1,000's for the entire war.

EDIT: I'm assuming we're talking about the D-Day landings, I was originally talking about the earlier British and Canadian landings NOT D-Day which failed.
Okay, yeah, Some of those early landings didn't end so well. Mostly because of the lack of support from the airforce and navy.

But on another note: Canada provided 1.1 million troops to the war. 49,808 were pilots, Canada also had 373 warships with over 90,000 sailors. Considering Canadas population at the time was barely 12 Million, I say thats a pretty damn good contribution. (IE: The Russians suffered casualties amounting to more than twice Canadas entire population at the time... Holy Crap.)

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
crystalsnow said:
acosn said:

The Russians were just plain damn lucky. The US supplied a great deal of their war effort even if they won't admit it. They were insanely lucky that Hitler's offensive was held up until the Winter because the Italians got stuck in the piss middle of no where and needed bailing out. The Germans at that point HAD no air force either.
I suggest you check your sources before spewing bullshit all over the place.
They had a massive Air Force that had some of the most resilient air craft of WWII by the end of the war, along with some of the best pilots outside of the Royal Air Force (Again, by the end of the war).

The T-34 is considered one of the best tanks of WWII, both durable, powerful, and easy to produce.

The Soviets didn't get lucky, they actually used the winter as a weapon, like they ALWAYS do.

Yes, the United States got the Soviets started, when things were rough, but by the end of the war, the soviet union had one of the most powerful war economies known to man.

And the Soviet Union did admit that the United States supplied them weapons, and the United States has boasted about it since... well, since it happened.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Frankster said:
I wasnt aware the brits had a land border with germany to hold.
And the french rout was due to more then simply being unable to "hold the line", but nvm lets continue the french bashing rofl lulz and other such terms.
No the Brits don't have a land border with Germany, but they stuck out the fight despite the fact that their cities were being regularly bombed by the Luftwaffe. The RAF defended the skies of Britain, which lead to Hitler turning his attention to Russia, which play a major part in his downfall. I understand that the French aren't all a bunch of pussies who surender at the first sign of danger. In WWI they were a major factor in holding the Germans back. The main reason why the French collasped so soon was that they were fighting like WWI while the Germans were using Blitzkrieg tactics on them. So the French pulled back to create a line of defense... which the Germans schwerpunkted their way through. That happening a couple times made the French forces fully retreat. Plus they didn't really hold on that long either. Vichy France signed a peace treaty with the Germans and Paris was given up so that a battle wouldn't be fought in it. The French resistance did help annoy the occupying France and Free French forces continued on the fight as well, both of whom are generally marginalized as well. My point was that the Brits decided to continue on the fight while some of the French (Vichy) decided to bug out early.

tristow

Sep 25, 2009
There are two versions of WWII the one were the USA is superman and the one were the allies (including the USSR) had to deal with the axis guess which one was allowed in cold war class rooms in the west

BloodyThoughts

EPIC PIRATE DANCE PARTY!
Jan 4, 2010
You know what? If we didn't have the British on our side, Russia and America would get crushed by the Axis forces! The Brits played a major role in WWII history and your teacher is just an idiot who doesn't know shit about the war.

Seriously, saying that the Americans were the big heroes is retarded, and this is coming from and American!

RooftopAssassin

Sep 13, 2009
The Brits were still very weak from WWI. Be that as it may; they did as much as any other country. In history the US usually shows up late, boast lower mortality rates than other countries, and then declares they won the war. Hell, even when we lose we declare victory!

RooftopAssassin

Sep 13, 2009
Irony said:
Frankster said:
I wasnt aware the brits had a land border with germany to hold.
And the french rout was due to more then simply being unable to "hold the line", but nvm lets continue the french bashing rofl lulz and other such terms.
No the Brits don't have a land border with Germany, but they stuck out the fight despite the fact that their cities were being regularly bombed by the Luftwaffe. The RAF defended the skies of Britain, which lead to Hitler turning his attention to Russia, which play a major part in his downfall. I understand that the French aren't all a bunch of pussies who surender at the first sign of danger. In WWI they were a major factor in holding the Germans back. The main reason why the French collasped so soon was that they were fighting like WWI while the Germans were using Blitzkrieg tactics on them. So the French pulled back to create a line of defense... which the Germans schwerpunkted their way through. That happening a couple times made the French forces fully retreat. Plus they didn't really hold on that long either. Vichy France signed a peace treaty with the Germans and Paris was given up so that a battle wouldn't be fought in it. The French resistance did help annoy the occupying France and Free French forces continued on the fight as well, both of whom are generally marginalized as well. My point was that the Brits decided to continue on the fight while some of the French (Vichy) decided to bug out early.
In WWI they were the only thing holding the Germans back. The Brits were under seige by German subs, so they couldn't get any supplies or men to the front. Also, the French never gave up Paris, they always seemed to push the line back no matter what. Then, after a year of preperation the US came and mopped up all the 3rd reservists (not very well trained and in their 40's to 50's) of the German Schlieffen plan (Or as you stated Blitzkreig).

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
acosn said:
Que? What fantastical universe are you referring to?

Russian tactics were crude... but that is far from "shit" as you might say, as that implies they were ineffective.

Arming entire battalions with submachine guns may be "crude" but you can't knock its effectiveness in close range combat, just spraying from the hip 70 rounds at 15 rounds-per-second, while the German infantryman has a 5-shot bolt action rifle and has been trained in taking carefully aimed shots at 100 to 500 meters. Who do you think would win?

The Germans made less than 1 million submachine guns in the entire war for fighting a war on FOUR fronts (North Africa, Western Europe, Russia/Eastern Europe and Balkans (garrisoned but didn't see major fighting)) while the USSR that was fighting on just a single front made almost 10 million. And the PPSh-41 was generally considered the better submachine gun if not the best sub-gun of the war.

And the T-34 tank was one of the best tanks of the war, and that's not just in any single statistic but balance of speed, armour, mobility, fire-power and most of all deploy-ability. If a country can only make 5'000 of a tank then it is not going to be much use, one cannot command a battle with them, too easily outflanked.

And the Soviet Air force was an incredible force to be reckoned with.

Through most of it was destroyed on the ground in the surprise assault in the opening stages of Barbarossa, but the skilled core of pilots remained and grew as the older generations of planes (that were destroyed) were quickly replaced with newer and deadlier models.

And in dogfights where pilots manage to bail out, Russian pilots would be welcomed by communist partisans that were very active in all areas while German pilots had little to no chance of making it to friendly formations.

And the fearsome reputation of Soviet Snipers was well deserved, they took it FAR more seriously than any of the other powers... well, maybe the US Marine snipers matched the Soviet standard.

All over the soviet union, schools would run shooting trials, hundreds of millions were evaluated for their shooting prowess and skilled snipers fit well into the soviet ideology of war-fighting, the idea of a man or woman with a cheap rifle having a disproportionate effect through personal skill and dedication. More bang for your buck basically.

Katyusha multiple rocket launchers were a devastating piece of artillery, especially when deployed in such dense concentrations and fired with such co-ordination.

Soviet winter kit and kit in general was better as well, I mean German kit was almost unchanged since the First World War!

Also, read up your history on the Battles of the Eastern front, Russian generals REALLY delivered the goods and are exampled of the greatest minds in military history, to spite the purges, nothing like the threat of a bullet in the head to ensure good results. It was brutal, barbaric, but war is a barbaric thing. I find this quote from Hitler poignant (paraphrased):

"how could we lose? with our opera houses, fine art and superior culture?"

well Opera houses never won a war. A peasant conscript with a Sub-machine gun does.

Stalin was a horrible dictator but the bottom line is they were better off under Stalin than under Hitler.

Russia didn't JUST have strength of numbers, they knew how to use them. The battle of Thermopylae shows numbers alone don't mean everything.

---

NB: yes, America provided a lot of key aid, but mostly of the support nature, not weapons, mainly key materiel like rubber and logistical stuff like trucks, Jeeps, trains, rations and so on. American made Jeeps made up virtually all of the military cars used by the Russians on the Eastern front.

In many way this was perfect, the USSR could have the pride in making and fighting with their own weapons (except for a lot of fighter aircraft, though the majority of fighters were of Russian design/manufacture) yet America could show their support and help back them up in the areas where they guys at the top needed it most.

Random Quote: "when it comes to war; Amateurs talk tactics, while Professionals talk logistics"

Greeboz

Nov 9, 2009
I like how everyone is blaming American teachers when he's from Iceland.

I would seriously hit the man who told me he truly believed that Britain did nothing in WWII. I won't have anyone proving the American stereotyle, no-sir-ee

clicketycrack

Apr 6, 2009
British brains, Russian blood, American dollars etc. etc. you know the rest. It's not like this hasn't already been ranted over a million times.