Why do people think adopting swearing into your vocabulary make you sound intellectual?

Mr Montmorency

Jun 29, 2010
I have an IQ of 145. I swear frequently. I don't care in the slightest whatever anyone else thinks about my intelligence, because chances are, people I meet won't be intelligent anyway.

The only people I know who could be as intelligent as I am is my dad and my best friend.

Tourette

Dec 19, 2009
If it is in real life then it sometimes is just a way of life and is or can be off the cuff remarks which include random swearing without realising. I myself am ex Army and tend to swear a lot which is a bad habit from many years in an establishment where it is a daily part of life but do try and watch what I say in certain circumstances.

If it is in type ie on the internet then it is more noticable and therefore mostly construed as immature. I know it takes more effort and is more deliberate and not neccesary in most case scenarios unless you are setting out to insult another person.

theklng

May 1, 2008
Mrhenners12 said:
It is something that has troubled me for some time.
why do people think accepting good grammar and fine speech into the language make them intellectuals? ill swear when i want, thank you.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I've never come across someone who thinks this. I think rather people think it's a way of nailing down where you want emphasis in your sentence.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
I find profane language off putting in any kind of serious intellectual discussion. To me it indicates a lack of vocabulary if used outside of fury or pain.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
FreelanceButler said:
Maybe because in some of the more "arty" films, people swear a lot.
People hear others swearing in a film like that, you associate the two.

Or something like that.
Because when Randal burns down the Quik-Stop, "Oh, fiddlesticks" is clearly just as effective as "FUCK."

These are words. They're part of our language. They're used to place an extreme emphasis on a moment in time. Everyone understands both what they mean and what they indicate. You don't need a dictionary nor need to be a member of a specific group to understand what "fuck" means. "Why do people think adopting swearing into your vocabulary..." is no better a question that "Why do people think that grammatically incorrect topic titles and two-dollar words make their arguments any more transparent?"

I could sit here and talk all day about plants, using scientific names instead of common, referring to various concepts using centuries-old terms, but is "Pass me some of the steeped leaves of Camellia Sinensis" going to get me a cup of tea any faster?

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Swearing doesn't tend to make you sound intellectual, and most people actually assume the opposite.

However, this man can make swearing wound incredible intelligent.
Chef Gordon Ramsay

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
whiston532 said:
Swearing emphasizes certain points, that is a completely different aspect than being intelligent.

If someone says "thats real poopy" and someone else says "thats really s****" which one sounds more upset ?

In general, the point being made is just as important as the language used to make said point. The proper use of swearing can help bolster a well constructed argument. Like most things, it is the overuse of swearing that makes one seem unintelligent (or worse still, the misuse of swearing). Most people have a notable verbalized pause. Often it's some form of "uhm" or "ah", but others use actual words such as "like". Still others use a curse word, usually some variation of "fuck". Excessive use of a verbalized pause is distracting in a conversation and, in general, it is best to not draw attention to them - something that using a curse word is known to do.

Gluzzbung

Nov 28, 2009
It depends about the person who is swearing, if someone with a british middle class accent swears, and not swearing every other word, swearing maybe once every paragraph of something like that, then it all sounds ok but anything appart from that with few acceptions will make you sound intelectual

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
uhhhh I don't think intellectual is the right word to describe it

recently I've been trying to limit my swearing to when I'm gaming only heh

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Well you might sound a bit more intelligent when you swear but not really.

Example:
Somebody tells you something ridiculous.
You respond with: "Male bovine fecal matter!"
Or when you you're insulting someone: "You male offspring of a female canine!"
That ought to give them pause.