Why do people think adopting swearing into your vocabulary make you sound intellectual?

TCPirate

Dec 1, 2009
I don't believe that swearing makes you sound intellectual, because that's just a ridiculous concept. I swear went I need to emphasize my emotion on the subject. Sometimes there are no other words you can use to help convey emotion.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Black Sulphur said:
similar.squirrel said:
Black Sulphur said:
I guess it's the same reason people think punctuation and grammar makes them intelligent.
No. It makes you seem like less of an uneducated and impolite prick.
Would you consider a Grammar Nazi polite.
More so than somebody who doesn't stick a question mark on at the end of a query, yes.

Kuranesno7

Jun 16, 2010
what kind of a rat-bastard psychotic would post this to divide people's views on language.

RemSaverem

Aug 13, 2008
I don't know, why do people think that swearing makes you less intelligent?
Swearing is done for emphasis. Besides, words only have the power that you give them. If you decide that the word ?F*ck? is something all bad that you have to be offended at, then that's your choice. And I reserve the right to exploit that in order to make a point. It's nice to punctuate my anger with words that will hit you like a slap to the face. Being able to do that does not indicate a lack of intelligence, and I would thank you to take a look at your presumptions and prejudices.

Danallighieri

Jun 3, 2010
You see it depends on the context, there is a time and a place for swear words in your sentences, if you're doing it every sentence then yeah you do sound like a absolute pillock but when you're doing it sporadically, here and there, it can be rather effective at emphasising a point

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Reenix said:
Mrhenners12 said:
It is something that has troubled me for some time.
There was something on the BBC recently, mocking the American boy who started the 'No Cussing Club'. This led Stephen Fry (one of Britain's most famous intellectuals) to remark something along the lines of 'Anyone who sees appropriate swearing as wrong is a fucking moron.'

I can see how this relates to the topic...swearing doesn't make you seem intellectual, it just shows that you understand moderation and timing. Abusing swearing however DOES make you look ineloquent.
I think you nailed it.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Maybe because in some of the more "arty" films, people swear a lot.
People hear others swearing in a film like that, you associate the two.

Or something like that.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Black Sulphur said:
similar.squirrel said:
Black Sulphur said:
similar.squirrel said:
Black Sulphur said:
I guess it's the same reason people think punctuation and grammar makes them intelligent.
No. It makes you seem like less of an uneducated and impolite prick.
Would you consider a Grammar Nazi polite.
More so than somebody who doesn't stick a question mark on at the end of a query, yes.
Well who is being an impolite prick now?
Merely stating an opinion.

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
On this website? Because Yahtzee does it.

Otherwise? Because they're trying to emphasize their point and don't really know how to do it in an intellectual way. Besides, all the new armchair critics on the internet are swearing every second word in their podcasts/weblongs/vlogs/blorgs/crocs.

At least it's better than caps lock or overuse of italics. It's also annoying when they combine swears into new words and insults.

So if you are some fucktard that uses SHITASTIC swears in your asshattery anal brammage of an "argument", then don't even try to fuck with the logic of this shit.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
Because it helps distance yourself from religious people. That's my theory anyway. Overdoing it, of course, does not give off the impression of intellect, but a little swear now and then is all right.

Fuck.

Orwellian37

Dec 22, 2009
It's for emphasis in most cases. Anyone who actually believes that it makes them seem intellectual needs a serious reality check.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
what?! since when does adding swears make you sound more intellectual?! don't you mean the Opposite is true? o_O

Lukeydoodly

Sep 9, 2008
Mrhenners12 said:
joe102 said:
Swears enphasize points, being intellectual is elequantly insulting someone horribly without need for swearing e.g's:your as sharp as wet leather or your eye's are as good as a badger with cateracts.

no cursing but effective insults.

that is called wit. Its a rear thing these days
As rear as good spelling. Oh snap!

That's wit.

OT: I have never met anyone who thinks that.

Mrhenners12

May 1, 2010
Lukeydoodly said:
Mrhenners12 said:
joe102 said:
Swears enphasize points, being intellectual is elequantly insulting someone horribly without need for swearing e.g's:your as sharp as wet leather or your eye's are as good as a badger with cateracts.

no cursing but effective insults.

that is called wit. Its a rear thing these days
As rear as good spelling. Oh snap!

That's wit.

OT: I have never met anyone who thinks that.
Its rear to find people who think pointing out spelling mistakes makes them look smart.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
The word "fuck" is like a chile pepper. Used sparingly, it provides a flavor and spice to conversation that would otherwise be conspicuous for its absence.

Overused, the flavor is completely overwhelmed by the spiciness and offends the palate.

So use a fucking swear word once in awhile and stop letting prissy assholes tell you it's a sign of poor breeding. And listen to Stephen Fry.