Why do people think online games like MW2 are actually fun?

Jacco

May 1, 2011
I just don't get it. I don't understand what in the world could be considered "fun" about online Halo or COD.

I just played five rounds of team deathmatch on MW2 and it was awful! Five rounds and I scored I think 10 kills total. I would watch a killcam and someone would shoot me with like three rounds when it would take me nearly half a mag to take someone else out. One guy was sprinting around with a revolver and a knife and he killed me probably 6 or 7 times in a single round doing that.

I'm not mad and and I'm not venting. I just don't understand what is fun about that? How is it fun to go up against people who have 50 trillion better guns with all kinds of attachments that make them way more effective? How is it fun to try and fight your way across a map when no one works together?

I seriously don't get it. Someone explain please.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
(warning: subjective opinions on what is and isn't fun ahead)

Because eventually you get good at it and you get to make other people rage, too :)

MW2's spawn system makes it less fun when you're starting out, but Halo is pretty fun even if you're terrible (like me) just because you've got stuff like beam swords, jetpacks, and rocket pods. I actually wouldn't say that MW2's unlock system is the problem, because a lot of the guns you get at low level or start with (Famas, Barrett, UMP, SPAS, etc.) are very effective. I don't think MW2's as fun starting out* as something like Hat Fortress 2 is, because in TF2 you can be reasonably effective as something like medic or heavy even with no experience and the starter gear.

*or ever, but that's beside the point.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
It's called a twitch shooter for a reason, I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty good at MW2, I usually average 20 kills a game.
I just find it fun.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
omega_peaches said:
It's called a twitch shooter for a reason, I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty good at MW2, I usually average 20 kills a game.
I just find it fun.
But WHY do you find it fun? That's what I'm asking.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
Kahunaburger said:
*or ever, but that's beside the point.
That made me lol because thats exactly how i was feeling when i turned it off earlier.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Jacco said:
omega_peaches said:
I just find it fun.
A sense of accomplishment, I expect.

Whenever you play any game without seeing any decent results coming from your efforts, you stop enjoying it. Period. Most people who enjoy MW2 are either making people suffer by screaming into their headsets or killing the opposition with relentless efficiency.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
Jacco said:
omega_peaches said:
I just find it fun.
I like getting rewarded, I find the core gameplay fun, I like the pace, I like that some friends of mine play it, I like the guns, I like the maps, I like perks (besides OMA, Commando, etc.)
Hey, if you have it on PS3, you could always give it to me :3
EDIT: FUCK YEAH 900TH POST

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
We are programed to be the alpha-male/female so we like to compete for glorious victory.

It's self-gratification. It make us feel sooooooo gooood.

tenaciousotaku

Mar 17, 2011
It's only fun when you're good.
I hate Black Ops because I suck (though I still play it) and I kind of like MW2 because I'm pretty okay at it

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Jacco said:
I would watch a killcam and someone would shoot me with like three rounds when it would take me nearly half a mag to take someone else out.
Are you implying the in-game statistics are biased SPECIFICALLY against you?

Jacco said:
How is it fun to go up against people who have 50 trillion better guns with all kinds of attachments that make them way more effective?
The best gun is unlocked within 5 minutes of playing online: the UMP45.

AzureRaven

Jul 21, 2011
It's just a matter of taste. I had a lot of fun up until Black Ops when I realized at this point they're just reskinning and reselling the same game since 4. (Yea it took me awhile, shush.) But it's a fast-paced, reactionary shooter, where if you're decently skilled it's easy to have fun with it. As to WHY I find it fun? Well, even if it's been redone over and over at this point, the mechanics are still solid, and it is a well-designed game, whatever people who are sick of it may say. (It's just that it hasn't been innovative at all since 4.) Admittedly, doing well is way more fun than doing badly. So if you know what you're doing it helps towards having fun.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
Buchholz101 said:
Not at all. What I was meaning was that he must have had some kind of advantage over me that made his weapon more effective which goes back to not being fun because you are instantly at a huge disadvantage when you start to play.

JB1528

Mar 17, 2009
Jacco said:
Buchholz101 said:
Not at all. What I was meaning was that he must have had some kind of advantage over me that made his weapon more effective which goes back to not being fun because you are instantly at a huge disadvantage when you start to play.
I'm not a fan of MW2 in the least bit, but the guns aren't exactly the problem. As far as I can tell weapons are not necessarily better than any others, they just suit different playstyles. There is no level 50 badass gun that gets you extra kills, just different guns for different playstyles.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
All I can think when I play Modern Warfare is "Wow, I'd really rather be playing Team Fortress 2" In my opinion TF2 does multiplayer shooting just about perfectly. I would explain why it is fun but it is nothing like MW2 so I guess that probably wouldn't help.