Why do people think online games like MW2 are actually fun?

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
Podunk said:
omega_peaches said:
But with OMA, you can stay safely in your little camping spot :D
Personally, the only ways I play are ACR, Quickscope, and Knife Only
But... But camping is laaaame. : o I'd use it especially on that house one, and that Taliban desert one... Just keep expanding my areas of influence with more and more claymores.
The only time I really had fun with MW2 was with the Riot Shield... Slowly advancing on someone who is totally clueless about what to do and bludgeoning them to death while they shot or knifed my shield was pretty funny.
The ways of Xcal have taught me how to dominate with the riot shield.
Personally, one of my favorite things is hearing everybody orgasm after I made a 360 noscope for the final kill cam.
"OHHHHH MY GOODDD"
"HOLY SHITT"
"AW YEAAH"
"OOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Road_Block

Jan 10, 2011
Well, the reasons I enjoy online gaming:

1.) I enjoy the competion and challenge of playing against other people.

2.) I've had moments in online games that were just as intense, if not more, than the most well thought out set pieces in a single player game. I attribute this to the fact that the experiences are more "real" since your oponents are actual people and not computers.

3.) I like experimenting around. In single player, you can usually get by doing whatever you want but in multiplayer people usually stick to what works the best. However, I find it fun to find the wierd combination of customization options that work. For example, in MW2 I always go into a match with a few "serious" loadouts (with basic rifles, SMGs, or machine guns) and a few "just for fun" loadouts (with Riot shields, dual guns, or other guns that I never see being used) which I like to play around with. It's also a way of keeping things fresh.

That said, it does take time to become good enough at the game to allow you to do more of the fun things and the only way to do that is to muscle through getting steamrolled by the veteran players till your good enough to dish out the hurt yourself.

MuppeTeN

Feb 20, 2011
omega_peaches said:
It's called a twitch shooter for a reason, I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty good at MW2, I usually average 20 kills a game.
I just find it fun.
Getting 20 kills doesn't make you good, the K/D is more important.

It doesnt matter if you get 40 kills but die 50 times in TD, if you are playing solo it's "better"... i guess.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
MuppeTeN said:
omega_peaches said:
It's called a twitch shooter for a reason, I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty good at MW2, I usually average 20 kills a game.
I just find it fun.

It doesnt matter if you get 40 kills but die 50 times in TD, if you are playing solo it's "better"... i guess.
I don't usually care about K/D, but I guess I should have said my deaths.
I usually pull of 20-25 kills, with anywhere from 10-20 deaths, depending on tubes, commando, etc.

MuppeTeN

Feb 20, 2011
omega_peaches said:
MuppeTeN said:
omega_peaches said:
I just find it fun.

I usually pull of 20-25 kills, with anywhere from 10-20 deaths, depending on tubes, commando, etc.
That's about the same k/d I have at BO, 1.5ish, still got my best map at 27-1 :D, also I remember MW2, the commando perk just ruined it for me. that's why i play( playED) BO, I can tolerate snipers and campers, but that knife BS... Nu Uh

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
MuppeTeN said:
omega_peaches said:
MuppeTeN said:
omega_peaches said:
I just find it fun.

That's about the same k/d I have at BO, 1.5ish, still got my best map at 27-1 :D, also I remember MW2, the commando perk just ruined it for me. that's why i play( playED) BO, I can tolerate snipers and campers, but that knife BS... Nu Uh
I love MW2, and I used to love Black Ops, but it just got to me, if you know what I mean.

MuppeTeN

Feb 20, 2011
omega_peaches said:
MuppeTeN said:
omega_peaches said:
MuppeTeN said:
omega_peaches said:
I just find it fun.

I love MW2, and I used to love Black Ops, but it just got to me, if you know what I mean.
Yeah, I just hope MW3 solves most of this issues, although commando has already been removed :D

Liudeius

Oct 5, 2010
I don't know about that game in particular, but the competition of multiplayer can be VERY exciting when you are on level ground with the opponent. Of course the low-risk (instant respawn) no-reward scheme of FPS's inhibits this somewhat.

Even if you personally wouldn't enjoy it on a more level playing field, I'm sure plenty of people wouldn't enjoy games you find entertaining, so it's just a matter of preference.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Jacco said:
Buchholz101 said:
Are you implying the in-game statistics are biased SPECIFICALLY against you?
Not at all. What I was meaning was that he must have had some kind of advantage over me that made his weapon more effective which goes back to not being fun because you are instantly at a huge disadvantage when you start to play.
There is nothing making his gun more potent that you don't have access to. Stopping power being among the default perks and as I originally said, the UMP45 (commonly considered to be OP) is also unlocked very early on. So what could he possibly have that would give him an advantage over you?

The answer is experience, Call of Duty, like every other video game, has a learning curve. Play through the story mode on a higher difficulty (try hardened, or veteran if your'e daring). I guarantee you, once you've gotten used to the controls and your surroundings, you will be far more successful.

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
MuppeTeN said:
omega_peaches said:
MuppeTeN said:
omega_peaches said:
MuppeTeN said:
omega_peaches said:
I just find it fun.

Yeah, I just hope MW3 solves most of this issues, although commando has already been removed :D
Not only commando, but OMA, Danger Close, and some other stuff!

Mark Flanagan

Apr 25, 2011
It can all be summed up with the saying 'Different strokes for different folks', Just because you don't like something doesn't mean others cannot find merit in it.

ediblemitten

Mar 20, 2011
What, really? Its your opinion, but a lot of people would much rather test their mettle against unpredictable, thinking humans than dumb-as-bricks AI. The thrill of competition, the intensity of fighting real people, the levels, new equipment, how is that not fun? Obviously you're mad because you're not playing well. Sorry sweetheart, but when your playing real humans you cannot possibly expect to do well if you've never played before. You honestly come off as a bit pretentious with the title, as though you're speaking down to a mob of cheeto-dust covered, obese, racist teenagers who play Xbox all day and scream into their mics while using dual-wield 1887s.

Sure, Mw2 bastardized the franchise but the fast paced 'twitch' shooting does require some skill and reflexes to pull off.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Mark Flanagan said:
It can all be summed up with the saying 'Different strokes for different folks', Just because you don't like something doesn't mean others cannot find merit in it.
Quoted for emphasis.

My favourite online FPS is easily TF2, but a few months ago I got MW2 in a sale on Steam, and I must say, I find it pretty fun, sure it's not as good as TF2, but it's something different, the open levels vs. the streamlined well oriented levels of TF2, only a few bullets needed to die vs. casually taking a rocket to the face, and yeah, while MW2 would never become my main FPS, I certainly can't say that it bores me. (And no matter what game it is, there is something deeply rewarding about backstabbing a sniper)

Collins254

Jul 30, 2011
MW2 is a fun online shooter but only if you want it to be, and if you like a challenge. I used to be a noob tuber, iv done shield days, i once played a whole day using nothing but a shotgun as a bet i couldnt stay positive K/D, well after 700 kills with the AA12 autoshotgun i proved him wrong, ah what a day =]
also if you like stealth and tactics i like playing sneaky type with Bling, cold blooded, ninja and either red dot scope and hearbeat sensor, or hearbeat and silencer, with throwing knife as my equipment =]
If you like being a dick to people on Domination or demolition which has relative fixed spawning and "hotspots" for campers, i like a good SMG, Machine pistol, Tactical insertion, marathon, stopping power and commando, pick a location close to the enemy but a safe one, lob down your TI, run in guns blazing and hopefully kill 1 or 2 before death, then rinse and repeat =]

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Beating people makes people feel good. MW2 has some really broken perks that makes beating other people not all that hard. And that makes the people who use those things feel even better. It's really quite simple.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Jacco said:
Noone mentioned this yet?
Multiplayer is all about community, game mechanics alone can't make it fun, only the people can.

So what you need is a good community, maybe arrange an Escapist server?

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Because its popular, and if you want to be popular too and get chicks, and high fives from every one in school, jocks ,cheerleaders, nerds, even the janitor. You must play MW2/BOps!!!

Now!!!

I mean now!

What? You do want to be cool don't you? I mean if you don't, people will talk! :O

proandi

Jul 26, 2011
Road_Block said:
Well, the reasons I enjoy online gaming:

2.) I've had moments in online games that were just as intense, if not more, than the most well thought out set pieces in a single player game. I attribute this to the fact that the experiences are more "real" since your oponents are actual people and not computers.
Exactly. The challenge of playing against other real players is a much more competitive experience, a real life player can change tactics on the fly. Computer generated characters tend not to.

The pull for MW2 is it's fast pace action. I love going round quickscoping, failing that it's the Scar H all the way. The only thing that bothers me is people not working as a team or someone spawning after I kill them only for them to noob tube the general area I was in and kill me. Danger Close is a mother! For anyone who uses red dot sight try loosing it and adding FMJ and learn to shoot through walls. It'll definitely put you at an advantage.

As for Black Ops it was good to start with but with the totally nerfed Sniping it really ruined it for me. In the end I was an AK47 guy and would rape most games fairly easily. MW2 is much harder in my opinion to be good.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
It's called having a different opinion to you, I don't see how hard that is to understand really. I enjoy some games, and don't enjoy others. I can guarantee some games I don't like, you like and vice-versa. Games that you are bad at, are usually not fun in your eyes. For example, I don't like Gears of War for one reason, I am terrible at the multiplayer. I get like 10 times as many deaths than kills. Dying all the time is not fun, which is why I don't play it.

GrizzlyLives

May 26, 2011
what most likely was happening was you or the host had a terrible connection games like MW2 are completely connection based