Why do people think online games like MW2 are actually fun?

RYjet911

May 11, 2008
lol I noticed the use of 'twitch shooter' a few times against MW2... Surely all FPS games have aspects of Twitch shooting in? Being able to hit an enemy faster than they can hit you is an advantage that benefits in ANY FPS game, surely?

OT: The problem I have in CoD is I rarely get a good streak. I went on Halo 1 the other day, joined a Blood Gulch CTF server, and within three minutes I had over 30 kills, a flag capture (Putting the score to 1-0) and me utterly bewildered. MW2 especially, I completely suck at. I don't know what's so different, except maybe the guns have recoil and the characters move much faster (Especially with the Lightweight perk) but then I seem to suffer the same problem the OP mentioned where enemies seem to get easy kills on me with 2-3 shots, yet I seem to have to unload entire magazines to drop a *****. And the biggest issue I have with the game, and it's only with the CoD series for me, but if I've had a bad series of games, followed by a really good game, I still feel like shit. A good game doesn't feel all that fulfilling. Bad Comapany 2 I feel great after a game win, and I only feel mildly bad at a game loss. Halo I was enjoying despite death or living, same with Counter Strike: Source and Half Life 2 Deathmatch.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Jacco said:
Buchholz101 said:
Are you implying the in-game statistics are biased SPECIFICALLY against you?
Not at all. What I was meaning was that he must have had some kind of advantage over me that made his weapon more effective which goes back to not being fun because you are instantly at a huge disadvantage when you start to play.
Yeah, he has better AIM, LOL!!!1

Alright no, I'm just kidding. The reason people find it fun is really hard to define. The same reason they find it fun might not seem enjoyable to you, or might even be something you hate. People like different things, that's that. The complexity that is the hallmark of 4x games that fans love is the same thing that keeps nonfans out, for example.

But honestly from the your original post it does seem like you don't find it fun because you're not good at it. You're complaining that these guys are constantly killing you and how they have possible advantages over you. Which brings me to another point that has nothing to do with skill or gameplay tastes.

It's not fun to die in MW. Watch a top Halo kills video and a top MW kills video, one is hilarious while the other isn't. Even if you die in Halo you're at least having a generally fun time because of all the chaos that's ensuing. MW on the other hand with it's efficient killing is more fun for the winner and just frustrating for the loser.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Because it's a good mindless game where you test base reflex and timing, that sort of stuff. There are elements of it that piss me off, but you're not dumb or anything for liking it or playing it.

I think Halo is boring, though. Simple as, for me.

thathaloguy117

Mar 17, 2011
Halo is wayyyyyyyyy better than CoD because the game is smoother and it evens everyone out, so that noobs will have as much fun as the pro's.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
You probably don't like it because you're terrible; it's no fun losing.

Gromril

Sep 11, 2005
Would agree with the op if he didn't do the "OMG I shot him a bajillion times but he only shot me once. In the foot." routine that I'm sick of hearing used to cover stupid deaths.

If you had shot him that much you would not have been beaten.

Otherwise I agree, cod just isn't fun, mostly due to the player base and the mechanics encouraging competition and stats over fun and hilarious deaths.

HerrBobo

Jun 3, 2008
The problem with the CoD games is that they are very poorly balanced in MP. They always have been. CoD4 came about the closest to being right, MW2 ruined it and Black Ops was a bit better, but still unbalanced.

Try Team Fortress 2, it is a much better MP game than CoD. I can't speak of Halo though, I've never played it.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Its the fun of the competion and the winning. Thats what i get out of the it. Also the stupid antics tht can happen mid game. Either it be a funny death or a laugh with my mates on the lobby.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
Some people like to use video games as a social medium. Some people enjoy competition, even in games without a skill barrier. Some people find it unnecessarily difficult to consider opinions and perspectives that aren't theirs because they're just that obsessed with themselves. Different strokes for different folks.

Auninteligentname

Jun 12, 2011
The game itself, I find fun. The community, I despise. So I never play public anymore, and sometimes, me and some friends play a private match, just for fun.

KiqJaq

Mar 3, 2011
I played MW2 a while, since it's what my friends were doing and I wanted to join. It really is a crap game. Huge rewards for getting killstreaks make avoiding death much more important than it needs to be, and being able to kill someone in half a second makes camping the most effective technique to stay alive. What I found was that the slower you move around, the better you generally do, which just isn't fun.

I remember playing through HL2: Lost Coast and one of the dev comments being "Players hate being killed by an unknown threat." or something about how getting blindsided with no way/time to defend yourself is crap. While this contradicts their inclusion of the Sniper in TF2 (seriously, Snipers are bull... one-shotting me from across the map is bs, and the number of tries they get before I can get to them is ridiculous)(Spy is alright since decloak is pretty loud, and if you never check your back you're making yourself blind) it really is true. Dying nearly instantly to something you had no chance to notice or stop in time is just crap.

BMA11995

Nov 20, 2009
FYI, to the guy who said he gets 20 kills a game, that is not all that good unless you are playing search in which case that's nearly impossible. OT, they are fun because you can play with your friends. Alone you WILL do worse than if you are talking and having fun with a group of buddies, because even if you dont intend them to, strategies and plans will just kind of flow out. This is also the way that you can rank up faster, get better guns, and get better at the game. It's a fantastic social experience, alone it is lackluster.

MegaliVoskos

Jul 4, 2011
I feel the exact same, I don't mind going over to a friends and doing a 2v2 or a free for all but I just can't stand the online.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
Well to be fair MW2 and Halo aren't multiplayer games. There single player games with multipler, so just on the merit of having split resources alone an actually multipler game such as Hat Forrtress 2 and Legue of Legends is just more fun as a result of the time and effort putting in to that aspect of the game.
Though there are start off weapons that are good and the main reason you are diying so easily is that your new to it, no one is good at CoD or halo multiplaer to begin with

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Guys...
I don't even play the games, but this CoD hate is beyond ridiculous.
Just let it be. Trends come and they go. People enjoy things that you don't.

Group hug?

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
oh halo is actually fun as hell, MW2....not so much.
the reason halo is fun is the amount of goofyness that can come out of it, or the intensity to win. a match could turn either way and almost never gets boring.

MW2...meh its the same no matter what...gets boring quick.