Why do people think online games like MW2 are actually fun?

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
Jacco said:
I just don't get it. I don't understand what in the world could be considered "fun" about online Halo or COD.
Jacco said:
I'm not mad and and I'm not venting. I just don't understand what is fun about that? How is it fun to go up against people who have 50 trillion better guns with all kinds of attachments that make them way more effective? How is it fun to try and fight your way across a map when no one works together?
as halo's guns are found on the map this balance issue does not occur, at least not in the same way. Some guns are better than others, but you have to find those guns, and anyone can do that. additionally, when they die, they dont keep the weapon and everyone else has a chance to pick it up from the corpse.

aside from that,
its not multiplayer's fault, its yours. Rather than learning from your mistakes and trying to adapt, you throw your hands in the air shouting: "this is stupid!", and making sure everyone here can hear you.
i hear it on fighting games a lot... "How is this fun?", "They arent letting me hit them!", "Ohno! This combo lasts for 15 seconds and theres nothing i can do about it! (MvC3 there)" ...you have to learn how to fight against humans and how to trick/force them into making mistakes and therefore losing, on any genre. preemptive strikes through hiding in corners works well on most shooters, along with basic stuff, like aiming for the head for extra damage... all things you have to learn to do well.

not much i can say about working in a team though... try making some friends and playing with them whilst in party chat.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Jacco said:
omega_peaches said:
It's called a twitch shooter for a reason, I don't want to toot my own horn, but I'm pretty good at MW2, I usually average 20 kills a game.
I just find it fun.
But WHY do you find it fun? That's what I'm asking.
Why don't you find it fun? seriously, being perplexed by something as subjective as other people's opinions on what is fun borders on autism.

purehatred89

Jul 27, 2011
The reason you can't understand the fun in it is because you're not doing well yet. I was sceptical too when I was a "noob". Once you break that barrier and start kicking ass, it becomes fun. Of course it's all subjective, the thing that kept me going through the noob stage was unlocking the titles, it's what's keeping me playing now.

theSHAH

Jul 31, 2011
For starters, check the gun your using, your accuracy, and your range. This will expect why it might take you so much to kill someone. Second of all the biggest draw to these games is the fact that most people play with friends. Only reason I even got into the franchise was because all my friends had it. The game caters to the mainstream. It's kinda of like saying who the hell listens to the crap on the radio these days?

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
Lisa Janine said:
Meatramen said:
Speak for yourself. :p I hate competing since it creates awful stress of actually performing.
I couldn't agree with this statement more. Multiplayer competitive games just aren't fun for me, whether I'm playing with strangers over the internets or with my fiance and our friends, and whether it's Mario Party or Halo. I much prefer games where you work together against the enemies, but there are very few games like that, though they do seem to be becoming more popular, and seem to be primarily platformers (e.g. Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Bros. Wii [if you do it right], Super Mario Galaxy, Portal 2).
im not sure if youre saying that coop games dont "create the awful stress of actually performing", but if you are, i think youre wrong...

for me, i find coop games far more stressful, and far more competitive, because i feel a constant need to be the 'best' person in the team.
Often in coop games, you and your partner are exactly the same, on a completely level playing field, and theres no possible excuse of luck or situation, the only factor would be skill, and that stresses me out.
Also, often in coop games, your worth is not measureed by numbers, but only by the opinions of the other players, which are a lot harder (though not actually hard) to manipulate... again stress.

i prefer an environment where i know exactly how im doing in comparison to others, and what to do about it.

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
there really is nothing to get. either you like it or you don't. some people like the idea of spending hour after hour doing nothing but playing online shooters. some people its the idea of collecting, aka Team Fortress 2 or 15th prestige in Black ops. others just like to play games with their friends. others just like it due to the fact that they can give some sort of justification to their lives by being better than others. others play it cause they think it's cool. others (like me) do it to troll. (for any of you wondering why you should hate me, knifing Black ops gun game. most fun you will ever have in Black Ops)

trying to explain why they are fun to people is like asking why ANY game is fun to certain people. what is it that makes Fallout so appealing? yeah, you can give examples and ideas of why YOU think its fun, but that's YOU'RE personal opinion. trying to explain the appeal of games is impossible. the only way to find out if you like a game or not is to play it.

don't worry, a lot of my friends aren't into the online scene either, so i don't say this with any malice at all

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
Because I have fun winning against other people, and I have tons of fun in MW2 using OP set ups and getting hate messages from little kids.

GaltarDude1138

Jan 19, 2011
In my humble opinion, and please, don't think it's anything other than that, but in my humble opinion Black Ops is the best CoD on the Xbox right now. Why? Because it is waaaay more balanced than MW2, and CoD 4 and WaW, both of which I wouldn't mind playing right about now, are desolate landscapes where the only matches you can get in have hackers in them.

That being said, some people think MW2 is MORE FUN(OT), because of the gimmicks in the game, i.e. Riot Shield, OMA, Nuke killstreak, etc. And I really don't blame them. I play Black Ops because there's more satisfaction in winning games that don't require you to pull out your noobtube or use of a overpowered killstreak, it's centered more around shooty shooty shooting, which I think is the overall strength of the series.

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
I've never played Halo online, and only once did I play CoD4:MW. Because I don't have the home capabilities for online play of any decent value for those sorts of games.

My MW experience? Internet cafe, new profile, starting from the beginning.

I found it rather fun, actually. I wasn't out-classed by much and picked up quickly that getting the gun off a dead guy was probably better than keeping the starting weapons.

Soon I managed to get the Skorpion unlock, and proceeded to kick some serious arse. 2nd on the server on the Tanker level.

Given the differences between the experience you had, and my one, I'd say the fun is located just above the difficulty curve. If you can surmount it, it's there.

You might have just run into the hardcore people who can rattle off unique strategies and top-level abilities at the drop of a shell (and your bullet-riddled corpse).

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
Xzi said:
They don't. Nobody thinks the CoD games released after CoD4 are actually fun. They're just addictive. That's what Activision-Blizzard does. Addictive. WoW, Guitar Hero, CoD. Watch a group of people play any of these games and there will inevitably be a few who show the obvious signs of getting hooked. It's rather phenomenal...they have a guaranteed-win business model.

Remember when Kotick famously said, "I want to take the fun out of videogames?" Well that's exactly what he has accomplished.
Excuse me while I agree it can be an addicting game stop talking like you speak for everyone maybe you don't find it fun but that doesn't mean other people don't.I for one find it very fun so kindly don't put words in other peoples mouths.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Because the world is made up of billions of different people with billions of different preferences and, opinions. Many of them would agree with you and either take up a different type of game or, restrict themselves to offline single-player playing. I've never once beaten an opponent on an online fighting game (Dragon Ball, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Marvel vs Capcom: all tried, never succeeded) but I still enjoy the time I had getting my ass handed to me...you know, for the first few minutes.

Angry_squirrel

Mar 26, 2011
To be honest, I've never thought MW2 was fun. That it mind, what you've said suggests to me that you may have a bad connection, and that's why the game is giving you crap. You need at least 1 MB connection (in my experience) to play a good game with people in your country. You need more if the host is overseas. Try an online speed test, and port forwarding if you're using a console.

Reece Stevens

Jan 10, 2011
well modern warfare 2 is just generally very terrible, but halo requires about a week of getting used to before you start to really pick it up, then you will love it

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Jacco said:
I just don't get it. I don't understand what in the world could be considered "fun" about online Halo or COD.

I just played five rounds of team deathmatch on MW2 and it was awful! Five rounds and I scored I think 10 kills total. I would watch a killcam and someone would shoot me with like three rounds when it would take me nearly half a mag to take someone else out. One guy was sprinting around with a revolver and a knife and he killed me probably 6 or 7 times in a single round doing that.

I'm not mad and and I'm not venting. I just don't understand what is fun about that? How is it fun to go up against people who have 50 trillion better guns with all kinds of attachments that make them way more effective? How is it fun to try and fight your way across a map when no one works together?

I seriously don't get it. Someone explain please.
Some people enjoy those kinds of games. May I suggest trying Battlefield yourself? You get a good set of weapons to start out with (the sniper for example, is the one most people keep using no matter what they get) and there's room for advancement, weapons earned are usually less in the form of "better" and more in the form of "different" (exceptions exist ofc, but differences are never big enough to impact the game much).

The team work is more emphasised and easier to engage in (mind you, such things always depend on people you're playing with) due to the nature of the gameplay.

Keep in mind - any online PvP you engage in will be quite daunting to begin with. You need some time to get a grip on things and work out what to do. I played almost every Battlefield game (with the exception of BFBC1), but when I stepped into Battlefield: Bad Company 2's multiplayer, despite playing the singleplayer through first, it was still a "what the fuck, where's everyone, who do I shoot and how do I help?". It took a few days to get used to it, but after that, it was and still is a blast :)

Artlover

Apr 1, 2009
Jacco said:
Per my personally subjective opinion: Nothing, it's not fun at all.

If your not dealing with some obnoxious foul mouthed little turd that thinks they are uber cool because of their high ranking that equals dick length, then it's a dumb ass noob that can't even play in single player for squat that bounce in, kills everyone on his own team before quiting after everyone starts yelling as him.

I think that explains why I don't play multiplayer/online games.

I will admit tho, it's not so bad to be just an observer when the option exists. Like in an online game between two teams of all noobs. THAT shit is hillarious!