Why do "realistic" games all feel the need to include the Desert Eagle as a weapon?

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
AdmiralWolverineLightningbolt said:
modern warfare, left4dead, gta, counterstrike, farcry, conviction, mgs4...? since when are they realistic?
Exactly what I was thinking. They're not even meant to be exactly realistic.

Most gamers (including myself) don't give a flying fuck about how good it is in real life, we care about how badass it is. Hence why revolvers are awesome.

Aylaine said:
Brawndo said:
Aylaine said:
Mmm, because it's cool is my best guess. It's used in a lot of video games as that ''bigger, stronger pistol'' or ''magnum''. :p
There are so many other alternatives for a powerful handgun: .357 revolvers, .44 revolvers, Colt .45s, etc, all of which are more common IRL than Desert Eagles
But are any of those cooler?
.44 Magnum, punk.
Exactly. The .44 revolver is a lot cooler than the Deagle, which just resembles a pistol, but bigger.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Valkyrie101 said:
TheRightToArmBears said:
AdmiralWolverineLightningbolt said:
modern warfare, left4dead, gta, counterstrike, farcry, conviction, mgs4...? since when are they realistic?
Exactly what I was thinking. They're not even meant to be exactly realistic.

Most gamers (including myself) don't give a flying fuck about how good it is in real life, we care about how badass it is. Hence why revolvers are awesome.

Aylaine said:
Brawndo said:
Aylaine said:
Mmm, because it's cool is my best guess. It's used in a lot of video games as that ''bigger, stronger pistol'' or ''magnum''. :p
There are so many other alternatives for a powerful handgun: .357 revolvers, .44 revolvers, Colt .45s, etc, all of which are more common IRL than Desert Eagles
But are any of those cooler?
.44 Magnum, punk.
Exactly. The .44 revolver is a lot cooler than the Deagle, which just resembles a pistol, but bigger.

Key word- 'bigger'. With guns, like penises, bigger is better. The .44 magnum is big, but it's also A) A revolver (revolvers are all kinds of awesome) B) Used by Dirty Harry (who is all kinds of awesome). The deagle is cool, but comparing any gun in coolness terms to a .44 Magnum is unfair.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Lawyer105 said:
60 year old super gymnast spy dudes with enough arthritis to cripple a small country and still able to shove your head through a wall.......
Actually, Snake is a 42 year old with advanced ageing wearing a muscle suit. Not that that makes MGS realistic in any sense of the word, I just like correcting minor mistakes.

Blizzarded Soul

Jan 27, 2010
Furburt said:
Corum1134 said:
I own a Desert Eagle and I have a slightly above average penis thank you.

The Eagle expensive, heavy, and kicks like a mule. It is however accurate when used by someone who can use it. It is not an ideal weapon for combat but it is a great hunting handgun.
I have been proven wrong. Well, not really, but to really prove me wrong, you'd have to send me pictures, and I'd prefer to be as far away from pictures of other mens genitalia as possible.

I'm wondering though, how is it good for hunting? I mean, it's so heavy and clunky, readying it quickly is next to impossible, and I can't think of a single feature it has that couldn't already be matched by a large caliber revolver.

spartan231490 said:
Explain to me why people hunt with handguns, i never got it? you get reduced knock down, reduced accuracy, and reduced range. If you want a challenge, why not go with muzzle loader, shotgun, or even archery. I just don't get it.
Backup weapon. You need something you can draw quickly if your gun gets knocked out of your hand and you're facing an angry moose.
As a finisher weapon, if your shot from a rifle doesnt kill an animal like a deer or moose outright, but it's too wounded to move and is just lying there, then you need a big calibre weapon to ease its misery.
There was a case here in England where a guy was refused permission to use a .44 Magnum as a 'mercy killer' weapon, instead a police constable suggested he use a 'point ball hammer' to finish off wounded animals.

great-paladin

Mar 10, 2009
to be honest i hate the deagle in most games but in mw2 it's brilliant(at first i hated it, now after using on my 3rd prest i've gotten to grips with it) but i would still rather see the m9 barreta, the sig sauer p226 and the m1911 in most games instead. as they're actuall handguns used by most military units and are all pretty decent in relation to clip size, range and fire power.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Because it?s a lot better than having a gun that says ?Replica? down the side.

Everyone wants to be as badass as bullet-tooth Tony from Snatch.

swolf

May 3, 2010
Radeonx said:
Probably because they are super badass, and exist in real life.
Yeah, it's a macho thing. "I have the biggest pistol"
nick n stuff said:
cos so many people believe to too be the epitome of cool and bad-assery..they are however wrong.

juts nit-picking but the title says 'realistic games' and you used L4D as an example...where do you live that zombie apocalypses occur on an everyday basis.
Again, *cough Max cough* I will try to avoid explicitly advertising *cough Brooks cough* but there is an author who wrote about the hidden history of humans war against zombies and how it almost ended the human race. Not sure why they don't teach about that in History class?....Oh, and do drug addicts count? Some walk around like zombies and make weird noises (I haven't heard any groaning but there was one guy walking around a gas station barking and making bird noises...that was weird...)

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
crimson5pheonix said:
SnowdensOfYesteryear said:
Amnestic said:
Because the developers know that the players will all jizz themselves of a 'Deagle'.

Personally I'll stick with revolvers. Way~ more classy.
Again, another kindof unrealistic thing - revolvers aren't that great in real life... though I agree. Really classy, and awesome. And stuff like that.
Why aren't revolvers great in real life?
Small ammo capacity, long reload times, and awkward ammo storage. It's why you'll never see a revolver used by front-line troops.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
i just gotta say realistic and none of those games should be in the same sentence.

"realistic" games like arma2 i do not even think there is user mod that adds that gun.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
SilentHunter7 said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Amnestic said:
Because the developers know that the players will all jizz themselves of a 'Deagle'.

Again, another kindof unrealistic thing - revolvers aren't that great in real life... though I agree. Really classy, and awesome. And stuff like that.
Small ammo capacity, long reload times, and awkward ammo storage. It's why you'll never see a revolver used by front-line troops.
But the dependability and ease of use makes it great for self defense.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
Redingold said:
Lawyer105 said:
60 year old super gymnast spy dudes with enough arthritis to cripple a small country and still able to shove your head through a wall.......
Actually, Snake is a 42 year old with advanced ageing wearing a muscle suit. Not that that makes MGS realistic in any sense of the word, I just like correcting minor mistakes.
Yeah, I know... I just didn't plan on getting into the details. 42 with advanced aging may as well be 60, and the muscle suit still isn't going to solve the problem that it hurts like a b&*^h to move quickly.

Besides... it's more impressive my way, and I've always been fond of exagguration! :D

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
crimson5pheonix said:
SilentHunter7 said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Amnestic said:

But the dependability and ease of use makes it great for self defense.
Self defense? Yes. Front line use? I highly doubt it. Magazines are easier to carry, faster to reload, and they have a higher capacity. I imagine in a warzone, a few seconds reload time, or a few extra rounds could be the difference between life and death.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Axolotl said:
Mcface said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Amnestic said:

you have 6 rounds, i have 9-12, we both miss every shot and reload. my reload takes a second or two, yours takes a second or two per bullet. I win that shootout. or if you have a full loader, or quick loader, its still going to take about twice the time to reload.
If it takes you more than six shots to end a firefight then you either can't aim or you're fighting too many people. Either way you've got much bigger problems.
Have you ever been shot at? Have you ever fired a gun? Theres no cross hair in real life. Trained policemen still miss 80% of their shots in a shootout. Trust me, both people missing their entire first magazine is not uncommon, its the norm. You people don't get it. Theres a reason all of our military, police and special forces dont use revolvers anymore.

Doc Cannon

I hate custom titles.
Feb 3, 2010
I think it's a matter of how common it has become in games and films. I guess developers know players can instantly tell it's the big pistol if they see it, instead of wondering "Is it 9mm handgun or a .45? Which one does the most damage? They all look the same to me". (Not everyone is a gun nut).