Why do "realistic" games all feel the need to include the Desert Eagle as a weapon?

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
In splinter cell, you only found deagles on early enemies, who were thugs, so it's likely that they bought deagles because they are cheap (?).
Modern Warfare 2's deagle is shit, which is what you are implying that the desert eagle is in combat.
Left for Dead and GTA4 are not realistic shooters.
I've never played those other games.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
Its a big scary looking gun that's why, plus you most large caliber handguns are Revolvers. Its basically one of the few none Revolver handguns that are well known.

Brawndo

Jun 29, 2010
nick n stuff said:
cos so many people believe to too be the epitome of cool and bad-assery..they are however wrong.

juts nit-picking but the title says 'realistic games' and you used L4D as an example...where do you live that zombie apocalypses occur on an everyday basis.
Easter Island. You have no idea the shit that goes down.

DIEDIEDIE765

Jun 30, 2010
I don't get it myself, but it is fun, and we must always remember that games are supposed to be either fun, entertaining, thought-provoking, or at the very least capable of diverting attention away from reality. Personally I find myself never using hand-guns and other close-combat weapons unless I strictly need to. I'm more of a sniper rifle guy, in the sense that I like to pick the longest-range and most accurate weapon I can find, pick a distance that is far enough away that the enemy can't get me, allows me to see the enemy, and isn't so far that I'm either off the level or the enemy doesn't exist (you know what I mean) and then try to pick them all off one by one until either they're all dead or my cover is blown.

Mirokunite

Nov 22, 2007
crimson5pheonix said:
SnowdensOfYesteryear said:
Amnestic said:
Because the developers know that the players will all jizz themselves of a 'Deagle'.

Personally I'll stick with revolvers. Way~ more classy.
Again, another kindof unrealistic thing - revolvers aren't that great in real life... though I agree. Really classy, and awesome. And stuff like that.
Why aren't revolvers great in real life?
Reloading, and the amount of bullets they hold for two things...

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Mirokunite said:
crimson5pheonix said:
SnowdensOfYesteryear said:
Amnestic said:
Because the developers know that the players will all jizz themselves of a 'Deagle'.

Personally I'll stick with revolvers. Way~ more classy.
Again, another kindof unrealistic thing - revolvers aren't that great in real life... though I agree. Really classy, and awesome. And stuff like that.
Why aren't revolvers great in real life?
Reloading, and the amount of bullets they hold for two things...
And everything else on them are great. Which makes them great personal defense weapons.

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
AdmiralWolverineLightningbolt said:
modern warfare, left4dead, gta, counterstrike, farcry, conviction, mgs4...? since when are they realistic?
Great now i have nothing to say.

I will say that the reason that the unrealistic gun (the Deagle) is in games is to make them unrealistic. People want to escape into the gaming world, to be absorbed in it and feel that, if they could, the would do what they do in a game in real life. People would like to be a bad ass with a deagle in each hand but that isn't going to happen so it happens in a game so people can picture themselves doing it. (that was confusing to explaing)

I can't actually think of a realistic game with a Desert eagle in it.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
BFBC2 doesn't... and it's significantly more 'realistic' (in as much as any game is 'realistic') than any of the ones you mentioned...

It is honestly scary that you mention the following as 'realistic' games:
Modern Warfare 1 and 2 - Um, yeah. I'm not even going to go there.
Left 4 Dead 2 - Zombies attack. Wait... when did voodoo become popular?
Grand Theft Auto IV - I honestly do not want to know where you live if this is what you consider real...
Counterstrike Source - Never played it, so I can't comment.
Far Cry 2 - Ditto... but I watched the movie, and all I can say is WTF.
Splinter Cell Conviction - Meh.
Metal Gear Solid 4 - 60 year old super gymnast spy dudes with enough arthritis to cripple a small country and still able to shove your head through a wall.......

Sorry - but this thread could be taken a lot more seriously if you were mentioning things like ArmA2 (even though I think it sucks) or America's Army.

RobThePrezodent

Oct 2, 2009
Because in the movie 'Snatch' he could not look more badass with his desert eagle, unless he was clint eastwood fused with darth vader firing lightning out of his eyes riding on the back of a t-rex..and chuck norris was involved somehow

Lunar Shadow

Dec 9, 2008
Desert Eagle makes a better club then it does a club. I prefer just a simple revolver, .44, or a semiauto (Beretta or p38. God I love the p38)

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
True, nobody really uses those things in real life for anything besides what you mentioned.

Personally, I prefer the .44 magnum revolver, the most powerful handgun in the world. It can blow you head clean off and make you ask yourself, "Do I Feel Lucky?"

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Yeah, the most realistic game on that list was Counter-Strike: Source. It just looks really really awesome.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
I only know one game I know is realistic that has one in, that being SWAT4.
On topic though: It looks cool, has a powerful round and is well known?
Not as awesome as this though, we need more guns like these in games.

I'm sure you wouldn't want to be hefting that about in a close quarters situation, but who's really going to fuck with you?

Not to mention that .500 magnum rounds are for killing God.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I'm going to go with the 'because it has a cooler name than other guns of it's caliber' theory.

By the way today I met a man who's first name was Calibre. Crazy.