Why do "realistic" games all feel the need to include the Desert Eagle as a weapon?

Zackary Yakumo

Mar 29, 2010
.44 magnum or the .50 desrt Eagle? which sounds better to kil a person with?

probably the .50 calibur Desrt Eagle.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Because despite it's impracticalities, it's sexy as fuck.

And because games are games, not real life.

AmrasCalmacil said:
I only know one game I know is realistic that has one in, that being SWAT4.
On topic though: It looks cool, has a powerful round and is well known?
Not as awesome as this though, we need more guns like these in games.

I'm sure you wouldn't want to be hefting that about in a close quarters situation, but who's really going to fuck with you?

Not to mention that .500 magnum rounds are for killing God.
Fuck that shit. .600 Nitro Express is where it's at :p

It's the ultimate overcompensator round :D

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Wadders said:
Because despite it's impracticalities, it's sexy as fuck.

And because games are games, not real life.

AmrasCalmacil said:
I only know one game I know is realistic that has one in, that being SWAT4.
On topic though: It looks cool, has a powerful round and is well known?
Not as awesome as this though, we need more guns like these in games.

I'm sure you wouldn't want to be hefting that about in a close quarters situation, but who's really going to fuck with you?

Not to mention that .500 magnum rounds are for killing God.
Fuck that shit. .600 Nitro Express is where it's at :p

Is it just me, or does that look like it can fire lasers?

Sovvolf

Mar 23, 2009
crimson5pheonix said:
Mirokunite said:
crimson5pheonix said:
SnowdensOfYesteryear said:
Amnestic said:
Because the developers know that the players will all jizz themselves of a 'Deagle'.

Personally I'll stick with revolvers. Way~ more classy.
Again, another kindof unrealistic thing - revolvers aren't that great in real life... though I agree. Really classy, and awesome. And stuff like that.
Why aren't revolvers great in real life?
Reloading, and the amount of bullets they hold for two things...
And everything else on them are great. Which makes them great personal defense weapons.
They are also next to impossible to suppress. You either need to do some very, very, very heavy (possibly illegal) moding or purchase one of the rare types that can be suppressed. Though I think using a suppressor on most guns is illegal out side of the armed forces or the police. Also I doubt you'd ever need it suppressing for what you'd need it for.

Also the much shorter magazine size doesn't help... Though I think most Americans probably buy these things for self-defence and such so they don't need a large clip size for it.

As for the topic at hand. They are probably used for the Rule of Cool... They are cool weapons. They aren't all that good, but the look like beasts and are cool. Those games mentioned though... They aren't really all that realistic. Though even in a few those games mentioned the Desert Eagle isn't all that great. The D.E in COD is next to useless to most people, it's slow and clunky with a pretty short clip. Me and my cousin some times have pistol duals on that game... The H&K USP.45 always comes out on top of the D.E.

I don't thin you can get that gun in any of the Armas or Operation Flashpoints, games that are extremely realistic as far as shooting goes.

Megawizard

Mar 24, 2008
Brawndo said:
Who says? Revolvers may have a small capacity and take longer to reload - but they are extremely reliable and easy to maintain.
Don't they make ammo clips of sorts for them now that hold the 6 bullets in the correct position, you slide it in, and break the clip part off and are good to go?

mr_pants66

Oct 7, 2009
the Desert Eagle is just "the big gun" all game companys feel it is necessary to put "the big gun" in there so people can think they are "so bad ass" if you are makeing a non-realistic shooter then put it in BUT in that case make it good to use if you are trying to be realistic just leace it out no one in a real combat situation would use a Desert Eagle to fight it is impractical over something like the USP.

Deimateos

Apr 25, 2009
Pyode said:
Yea, the Raging Bull in Rainbow 6: Vegas was way cooler than the DE.
+1. It's MUCH more deserving of the title of "hand cannon"
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3PimoAf_qk [video]

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
It is probably in many games because it is well known. I would rather see the Smith & Wesson Model 500 in more games. Also Battlefield Bad Company 2 did not have a Desert Eagle.

JackRyan64

May 22, 2010
As many people have said, I think revolvers are much cooler as well. Because I love to reload during a battle.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Aylaine said:
Mmm, because it's cool is my best guess. It's used in a lot of video games as that ''bigger, stronger pistol'' or ''magnum''. :p
This is the only cool gun I want to see in games.

Like seriously you would look really really badass with that. Not just a gun that I can't hold and fire straight or 10 rounds.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
So people can stop rampaging bears. It's a shame that none of the above-listed games have rampaging bears.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Brawndo said:
I have fired one - it is very heavy for a handgun, has considerable recoil, a small magazine, and is very uncomfortable and bulky. The Desert Eagle was never designed to be used as combat pistol, it was more of an engineering challenge to see if a pistol could be designed that would actually fire a .50 cal round without breaking. Not a single police or military force issues it that I am aware of, and it is mostly used IRL for shooting competitions or hunting big game.

And yet here is a short list of recent games that include it:

Modern Warfare 1 and 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
Counterstrike Source
Far Cry 2
Splinter Cell Conviction
Metal Gear Solid 4

Yes, I mad. I would much rather see other more common handguns, or a nice revolver
.50 cal AE Desert Eagles are the Bugatti Veyron of pistols, a ridiculous engineering exercise not designed to be economical nor even practical. Still they keep making them because there are enough dumb civilian gun owners that keep paying for them, even if they aren't that interested they know their non-gun friends will be impressed with "wow, you got an ACTUAL Desert Eagle!"

Of course they should include the weapon in the game, many criminals, terrorists dug dealers and revolutionaries are drawn to such ridiculous weapons.

My problem is with them being presented as in any way remotely shootable. I'd give the following limitation on firing:
-slow to bring up to aim-down-sights
-ridiculously inaccurate at close range... so bad you're better off with a knife
-very slow firing rate, like 1 shot per second
-actually deafening and blinding muzzle flash

See I think the problem here is game logic of:

harder to get = more useful

In games, players must be rewarded for going to extra effort and in games trying to emulate reality, shotguns as crude farmer's implement so most common, while a Desert Eagle is clearly very expensive and prestige weapon.

The truth is a $100 shotgun is way more powerful than $2000+ Desert Eagle simply because the shotgun is bigger and fires a bigger shot. Cheaper doesn't necessarily mean less effective when it comes to weapons. Soviets beat the Nazis using cheap mass produced submachine guns against their precision engineered assault rifles.

People would feel cheated if finding or unlocking this powerful weapon it is almost useless.

Gh0st1y_H

Jan 11, 2010
SnowdensOfYesteryear said:
Amnestic said:
Because the developers know that the players will all jizz themselves of a 'Deagle'.

Personally I'll stick with revolvers. Way~ more classy.
Again, another kindof unrealistic thing - revolvers aren't that great in real life... though I agree. Really classy, and awesome. And stuff like that.
Are we talking in terms of actual military capability or personal defense/fallback secondary?

I know that revolvers serve as better personal defense weapons that handguns for some people.

Mar 26, 2008
Cynical skeptic said:
Pretty sure its because of Snatch.
"and the fact that I've got "Desert Eagle point five O" written on the side of mine, should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence. Now... Fuck off."

I love that scene.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
Ah yes, that famous "realistic" game L4D2...

Andantil said:
Rule of Cool.
also, More dakka.
Exactly [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool]