Why Do So Many People Hate the Police?

Withall

Jan 9, 2010
I wonder! How many here are Americans, stating their dislike for police? I'm just wondering, and would like some sort of population count.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I look at it this way. When I'm out on foot, the sight of a police officer makes me feel safe and protected from the scum that would otherwise infest the area.

When I'm in a car, I'm like "shit, a cop." The face of the law isn't quite such a welcome sight when you're the one breaking it, y'know?

So it's all a matter of perspective.

M-JN

Jan 26, 2009
Every now and then I think that I could be a cop. Then I realize that I'd be the shadiest cop ever, and I can understand the bias. You give a guy power, odds are he's gonna turn into a dick.

That said, as far as games are concerned, I still think it'd be fun to play as a cop or guard whose job it is to stop the reckless vigilante/plucky band of adventurers from screwing up the peace/master plan.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
In general, I support them. However.

Giving people power is always a dangerous thing. If you don't supervise them closely and grant them a certain degree of anonymity, things can get ugly quickly.
Some months ago, there was a demonstration in Berlin, Germany (and they're going to do it again), themed "Freedom, not Fear" and was against the government's plans on increasing surveillance. As such, they picked a route that was tightly packed with surveillance cameras. At some point, a policeman got aggressive (I wasn't there, but it's the story that's generally believed) and started to bring fists into a verbal discussions. In the ruckus, policemen coming to his aid also ran over a wheelchair user and they didn't even think about turning around or apologizing after the whole incident.
The reason I brought up where and why the demonstration was held is that - ironically - not a single surveillance camera recorded the thing. If it wasn't for a low-quality cellphone video on YouTube, the policeman would have gotten away with it as none of his colleagues would tell his name and policemen don't have a number on their chest or something to be identified with.

That said, I don't think the police is entirely "bad" or entirely "good". Although I don't have any statistics or something, the good person inside me wants to believe the "bad apples" are just exceptions and the big majority of the police is capable of dealing responsibly with their power. You can make very different experiences with policemen, but mostly you only get in contact with a policeman on duty if you did something wrong, hence many people that get first-hand experiences at all probably don't have much love for the police.
Like I said, I generally think of the police as "those who protect us", but if they're not held on a leash tight enough, they become "those we need to be protected from". Then again this is true about anyone with power over other people. And now I'm running in circles and cut the comment, hope my opinion was pleasant to read and affected your mindset.

Fusionxl

Oct 25, 2009
SimuLord said:
I look at it this way. When I'm out on foot, the sight of a police officer makes me feel safe and protected from the scum that would otherwise infest the area.

When I'm in a car, I'm like "shit, a cop." The face of the law isn't quite such a welcome sight when you're the one breaking it, y'know?
I always get nervous around police when I'm driving, even if I'm being a model citizen. They're never around when there is a burglary, grand theft auto or murder, but every bloody highway has to be guarded with half a batallion in case someone crosses the speed limit by 5kph.

The police is there to punish, not protect.

Angryman101

Aug 7, 2009
Cops are the enforcers of a corrupt, inefficient, archaic system of rules set in place by the private interests that control the U.S., and as such are basically the physical manifestation of all that is wrong with society. Also, the cops are dicks in my town. Last night was the third time I've seen a police cruiser follow a car around, waiting for the driver to do something wrong. The car wasn't swerving, was going (a little below) the speed limit, and got a ticket for going about a foot into the crosswalk at a stop sign. There isn't very much corruption, but there is a lot of stomping around and putting on tough guy airs. And of course there's the fact that cops hold a lot of power and are just as fallible a human being as you or me, and can seriously fuck you up financially or throw you in prison if they don't like you.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Hell I applied to join the Police a few years ago!

I know some individual officers can be power tripping arseholes but, on the whole, this "We Hate The Pigs!" rhetoric wears me down. I've had dealings with them before and found them to be largely professional and courteous.

What doesn't help is the lack of recognition for the good, brave, noble and heroic deeds of the Police whilst everyone is all over the one officer who gives a miscreant a thick ear. It cannot be easy to work a job where you may wind up facing a crack-dealer with a machete and all you have is a pissy baton and a daft helmet because British Police "traditionally" don't carry guns. Add that to the fact you wont get any thanks from the public at large for anything you do yet face an lynch mob should you fail to call a murderer "sir".

When my motorbike was stolen I never expected anything more from the Police than a crime number. They had better things to do than hunt down a £300 knacker and that's fair enough. However the officer who dealt with my "case" at least kept me informed of what was being done, usually by phone, and even personally delivered the tax disc to my home when it, and vast lumps of the cowling that covered the ignition circuits was found on wasteland.

Even when I was rightly pulled over for getting a bit heavy on the throttle away from some lights and got pulled before I could get too far over the limit. Sure I got the patronising lecture but I deserved it and was polite and contrite throughout. I knew why I was pulled and, as the old saying goes, it was a fair cop. Everything else checked out (insurance, tax etc.) and because I was co-operative and admitted (honestly) how daft I'd been, I was sent on my way with a "don't do it again" and nothing else.

It's not all rosy, I know, but to automatically hate the Police "just beacause" is just as retarded as racsim. I watch a lot of those "POLICE! - CAMERA! - ACTION!" shows and the amount of abuse the average officer receives would try the patience of a saint. So many people, who may have been pulled over for something so minor will get so abusive. "Haven't you got anything better to do?" is the usual rant. In many cases I bet the officer would LOVE to say: "Well I would have if YOU weren't being such an arsehole!"

Case in point - One man was pulled for not having insurance and he was the most rude and arrogant shit ever. He was all like "I have got insurance, I did it myself. I pay my taxes and they pay your wages! All you want is another collar to make the numbers!" etc. etc. He wouldn't stop his holier-than-thou ranting and the officer maintained his calm at all times although I wouldn't have minded if he'd nutted the motorist when he got in the officers face. So the call was made to the insurer while the motorist was harping on about: "Yeah you wait! You'll see! I'll have you for wrongful prosecution! You wait! One-Nil" Jesus...

You can imagine how he felt when the insurers revealed they had no vehicle with that registration on their system at all. The guy flipped and then started blaming the insurers for making a typing error so the Police officer asked, calmly, if he'd checked the documents. Oops...that went down well! The guy exploded and at one point shouted the registration number aloud...as the camera focused on the plate to reveal he'd got it wrong. At this point the "bleep" machine overheated.

Hate a Policeman / Policewoman if they abuse their position or are a general disgrace to their badge but to loathe the Police is retarded. Personally I want to see them freed of the stupid amounts of paperwork and back out doing what they are supposed to do rather than filling out risk-assessments before they use a door.

Wardy

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I think they are just doing their jobs and I have the same view on this as the Topic Creator. I am actually been on a journey since 3rd grade to become a cop. As all children who wanted to drive fast cars and shoot thugs, but for me that feeling just never went away. And now I am 19 and will apply to the police academy in about 2 years when I am done with all the other stuff I must do first.
I think the reason is because the police takes away all the fun, which often is illegal? (at least here in my town), I don't do this stuff but my brother and his friends often end up in trouble. But here I think the police are overdoing/-using their power of authority which often makes them kinda ass holes but there are those who do their job properly.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Judas Iscariot said:
I do not hate them in general. However some are power tripping assholes. So I hate individual cops.
But yeah, they sadly do get blamed when they are forced to uphold dumbass laws that they may not even agree with.
This.

But, whatever, being a cop is a job. I couldn't care less, as long as he doesn't fuck up my shit for no reason.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
The Po-Po done take my liberties away.
Well, I dislike our police, because they assume that I am spending the entire conversation trying to disrespect and/or mislead them, resulting in their being utter dickheads even as I am perfectly polite and co-operative. Perhaps the assumption that all youths are rebellious pricks is justified- but that doesn't mean I have to like these people.

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
It really depends on the police in question. There's one area of UK where I personally dislike a good chunk of the police force as the two times I had to deal with them they didn't seem to give a flying monkey's. I have good reason to hate certain members of that police force.

Also, the only time I usually see cops these days is if they're speed-trapping, and it always irritates me if I see a cop car just drive past a car that's somehow breaking the law.

Some people I know have had good dealings with the cops, but I'm yet to. On one hand it's good I've never had to call upon them much, on the other hand, it's going to be difficult to invest trust.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
I by no means hate the police, but I do have several reasons to dislike them.

Abusing their power: I've seen cops turn on their siren just to run a red light and turn it off immediately afterwards.

The buzz kill aspect: bottom line is police are out to arrest you if you are behind the wheel. Whether the speed limit is only 25 getting on the freeway (step dad got pulled over for going 40 in said area) or getting paranoid about your speed every time you see a cop, driving becomes more annoying when you worry about the police. On the other hand, without them driving would be anarchy, so cut off a finger to save the hand.

Due to the dangerous nature of a police officer's line of duty, they can't afford to take risks. It doesn't matter if you are a middle age pastor who mistakenly gets out of his car after being pulled over; in that situation the officer is going to raise their voice and possibly pull out their gun.

Then there are people who whine about every time a person is killed by police. There are times when someone is a danger t those around them when the smartest option is to take them down. For example, a shoot out.

I would be perfectly okay if police officers didn't abuse their power, there weren't ridiculously low speed limits in areas that not not necessitate such, and they didn't resort to yelling and threats, but the honest truth is that most police officers don't blatantly abuse power, speed limits are usually pretty decent limits, and there are times when showing anger can help a situation.

However, yelling at someone to put their hands up multiple times while there hands are up is asinine.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
because they're authority figures, because people like money, because police take money!

MONEY!!!

*ahem*

most people don't hate the police, they're just afraid of violating some law and getting caught by the police., or most likely think it's cool to say naughty words behind policemans back. you know like all the cool kids do.

Ensiferum

Apr 24, 2010
The way I look at it is when I have a job I need to perform the tasks which that job requires in order to make a living. If I don't perform those tasks then I'm not doing my job. It's the same with cops, except their job is upholding the law. So the next time one pulls you over consider that he's just doing his job.

Now that's not to say some cops aren't corrupt, but in my experience the majority of them, at least in the here US, are just working to earn a living.

Antonio Torrente

Feb 19, 2010
well my in my country the philippines, the cops that are corrupt are 97% of the total police population now that sucks

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Don't know about the others but i had plenty of unpleasant encounters with my countries police force. From them just being annoying and checking my Id each time I passed them, through unpleasant comments heard from them, to tasting the police baton several times during a peaceful protest. Oh and inability to actually take care of real crime, preferring to nag people who dare to drink a single beer in a empty part of park while there is mugging going on 300 meters away.

Guest_Star

Jul 25, 2010
Kollega said:
Hucket said:
What is it about cops that gets so many people's panties in a bunch?
Well, IИ THЭ ИEЩ RЦSSIД cops are not that different from criminals they're supposed to fight, with corruption and police brutality running amok. That's why i, personally, don't like them. In Western countries though, where policemen are mostly decent folk... i don't know.
According to a report I've heard (think it was on BBC) the vast majority of russian policemen has bribed their way into the Academy. And since the only chance to get a decent law degree also means you have to bribe your way in, it's no wonder the entire system is corrupt.

So, no wonder trust in the мусора is rather low.

ShAd0wS

Aug 17, 2010
The cops job is to arrest you, and anything they do after that point (including saying it'll go easier on you if you talk, they will help you if you talk, etc) is only used towards getting a conviction. Basically, after you are arrested, nothing you say / do can make your case any better, but it sure as hell can make it a lot worse. If you are doing something wrong they are definitely the enemy, and what person can really say they have never done anything illegal? I support cops who are going after actual criminals, but if a cop is going to come after me for something extremely minor (driving slightly over the speed limit, alcohol possession under 21, etc) then they are the enemy.