Why do so many people like Mincraft?

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
Because i went to Westroscraft server last night on PC, and flew around Kingslanding, Dragonstone, Pyke, etc.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
sanquin said:
To people saying it's more fun with friends:
This is not a valid argument. ANY game that has multiplayer options is more fun with friends...
and.. Minecraft is one of them? I find it completely deplorable and boring playing it by myself. I understand that's just me, but I can't do it. But it's amazing multiplayer. I kind of understand what you're trying to say, but I don't see how it makes any sort of difference. Just because a game HAS multiplayer doesn't mean he's USING multiplayer. And if he's NOT, then the suggestion "Try playing it with friends" is valid, because at least to me, and if I think it I'm sure there are thousands like me, the game is EXPONENTIALLY better with friends.

and it's not an argument, it's a suggestion. If he is playing it with friends and still having a bad time, then the game is just not for him. No amount of explaining why it's fun will make it fun.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
For the same reason people like (or liked as kids) Legos. It takes some imagination. Personally, I'm with you, I need purpose and goals in a game, I can do some inside roleplaying from there on, but I need more groundwork done for me. But it's easy to see how someone would have fun playing Minecraft, the same way they'd have fun playing with Legos - except as a game, Minecraft comes at a much lower cost for a near-infinite amount of resources to build things with (as well as not having to be bound by the laws of gravity and such)

Bluestorm83

Jun 20, 2011
WELL... For me, Minecraft is the ultimate "Everyone fuck off, I'm doing something for myself" experience. Sure, I have some multi-worlds with friends and relatives (Especially in Feed the Beast on the PC. CAN'T do all that yourself,) but I always like to just load up the regular minecraft, sheer some sheep, and continue building my glorious and beautiful Bedouin Tent City in my large-biome Desert, just for my own enjoyment. Like Legos.

I think the fact that it's not really a Video GAME so much as a Video TOY is what gets a lot of people stymied. This isn't here to engage me in serious gaming, just to play around and spend some time. And honestly, I don't think that you don't like minecraft at all, you're just more suited to it in short bursts.

Minecraft!

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
80% of mainstream games feature killing as the primary mode of gameplay, usually violent and often graphic killing and often to a chorus of weapon fire.

Minecraft has a nice, peaceful background audio track, with all violence and killing a secondary, not primary, mode of gameplay. It's very easy to avoid all violence in the game and still have a rich gaming experience.

Take careful note of another very popular game series which doesn't have killing as the primary mode of gameplay: The Sims franchise.

Or another "breakthrough" early PC hit without killing - Myst.

Unlike the latest Call of Duty or World of Warcraft clone, Minecraft succeeded by doing what other games don't do - providing gameplay that most players had never before experienced. Many gamers responded by honoring this wonderful game they had discovered.

TeaCeremony

May 21, 2013
Minecraft is something that is only limited by your imagination. Other games have limitations e.g. shoot this, shoot that, climb wall etc...

Minecraft on the other hand you can do whatever you want and nobody will judge you for it or even care. That guy that made the graphics calculator from a basic wiring book and redstone? Or that guy who made a 1-1 replica of the basillica of rome.
You can do whatever and its 100% valid, thats just the way the game is and thats what i think the appeal is.

Also playing with other people. Unlike most multiplayer games, MC's enjoyment rating exponentially grows the more people there are. I play with say 1 guy and we have fun, build, tunnel etc. Suddenly 4 people are in and we are constantly talking, exploring, farming and.... everything. Its just so much more fun the more people there are, ever try to run away from zombies with 8 people? Someone will try to trip up someone else to feed them to the zombies, others will try to do last stands... its just incredibly fun.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
maybe you should try playing with other people? it has multiplayer, you know. i rarely play it, but i love to jump into a world with a few friends.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
I find it enjoyable to make super structures with my friends. Large, expansive bases with heaps of resources stashed up. I also play only multiplayer, so I also have a community to chat with/ bother / fight with during online play.

2 days ago, our clan decided that we needed a beacon. So we purchased the wither heads from someone and had the most intense fight I've ever had in Minecraft while combatting the Witherboss. Combat against most mobs is dull, but without fully enchanted gear and potions the Wither will wipe you.

Bloodfrost

Aug 15, 2012
Yeah honestly didnt have to even continue reading after you said you own it for 360. The difference between the two platforms is staggering, i could almost say you might as well be playing it on iOS if not for that last huge patch...

The major difference however would be the lack of modding available to the 360... Modpacks are what truley makes the game fun for me, however i doubt thats part of its massive popularity ... yet..

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Vrach said:
For the same reason people like (or liked as kids) Legos.
Ninja'd.

It is digital LEGO. But personally, I prefer to play with real LEGO than this stuff.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Isolated, the mechanics of Minecraft are dull and unrewarding. In a social context, those mechanics empower and encourage a range of activities, from teamwork to competition. If you're an inherently non-social person than you'll get nothing from the game.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
If you don't see a point in the game as it is, that's that. It's okay, not everyone has the same tastes. Don't beat yourself up over it- just find a different game.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
V8 Ninja said:
Isolated, the mechanics of Minecraft are dull and unrewarding. In a social context, those mechanics empower and encourage a range of activities, from teamwork to competition. If you're an inherently non-social person than you'll get nothing from the game.
I disagree strongly with this. I'm a very antisocial and introverted person yet I've gotten hundreds+ of hours of enjoyment, either playing on hardcore (single player) or with mods (also single player).

Multiplayer was also okay but it's definitely not the only way to play and enjoy the game.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Its better on the PC

I like that it is allot like Lego, you can build ANYTHING.. from huge fortresses to airships, from automated machines to ..well many many things indeed. And who doesn't once in a while wants to go somewhere far away from your job, your bills, your small room you are living and virtually make yourself an awesome place.

That and on the PC modding really opens options up.

Even survival has enjoyable sides. I mean are you going to take the risk digging deep in the darkness for GOLD [later you found out just how useless gold tends to be] and Diamonds. Or are you going to make your own garden where you grow food.. maybe keep some cows and chickens!

And as some say, I might not be a person who does multiplayer BUT if you like it you can do allot with the right mods. It is quite an experience!

And yes it looks pretty blocky!

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
FoolKiller said:
Vrach said:
Ninja'd.

It is digital LEGO. But personally, I prefer to play with real LEGO than this stuff.
Far more expensive though... A Minecraft copy will run you some 15$... you'd be lucky to get a single decent box of Legos for that much :)

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
Well people have summed up most of it, but I would like to add one thing.

Redstone!

If you are into electronics at all, it is really fun to play around with. You can do some really crazy things with it too, as it is basically the binary system, and what other game has something like this?
You can make cannons, elevators, clocks, calculators you name it, if that's your thing.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Rattja said:
Well people have summed up most of it, but I would like to add one thing.

Redstone!

If you are into electronics at all, it is really fun to play around with. You can do some really crazy things with it too, as it is basically the binary system, and what other game has something like this?
You can make cannons, elevators, clocks, calculators you name it, if that's your thing.
It's both binary *and* analog (or analog in minecraft logic anyway, you can make use of that 0-15 signal strength) now!

There's gonna be some crazy shit coming out. Probably already has, I haven't been paying too much attention to 1.5 (moving versions while modded is a bit more difficult).

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Vrach said:
FoolKiller said:
Vrach said:
Ninja'd.

Far more expensive though... A Minecraft copy will run you some 15$... you'd be lucky to get a single decent box of Legos for that much :)
True. The same can be said about sports cars. I can drive a Ferrari around in Forza for $20. I couldn't rent one for that little.

The other problem with real LEGO is that its hard to find the space to do it. And then you're also limited by having to put it away.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
I know this has already been said but it bears repeating. First person Legos. With Zombies. And lava.

Seriously though, I really like minecraft, BUT I have to have a project in mind when I start playing or I will get bored. Not that I'm asking you to play it if you don't like it, but I find thinking, wow, I should build a huge tower like the one that holds the eye of Sauron, I'll have something to work off of. From there, I usually come up with all sorts of ideas while I'm building that which I can move on to next. If I just start with no plan in mind... then I just start mining and then get bored. Just my personal experience.